Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Separation Anxiety

On Monday, I went back to work for the first time since May (summer vacations are my favorite!).  I was worried that Barley would be traumatized since I've been home almost all day every day and when I have left home she's come along for the adventure.  I think I'm the one that's been having separation anxiety; Barley's been fine--going into her crate with no problem and no barking when I close the door.  I've been the one that sits longingly at the window in my classroom wishing I was out romping with my dog.

Ok, not really, but it has been an adjustment to have to wake up at a set time and not just lounge around drinking coffee all morning until I decide what adventure to take.  I always forget how exhausting teaching is after a little break from it.

My classes are AMAZING, though.  Students have been participating.  The ones that have had reading have been prepared.  I have one class where about half of the students I've had before and the students that are new to me are fitting in beautifully.

I'm also teaching a major authors study course on Emily Dickinson--my dream class!
Emily and I are ready for our first day of school!
Luckily, I've had most of the students in that class before because if they were all new to me, they'd think I was nuts.  I came in the first day rocking my Emily Dickinson bling and holding my Dickinson doll.  They seemed excited that we had a mascot for the class.
You can find awesome things like this at the Vintage Nora Lane shop on Etsy!
It's awesome when you have a job where prepping makes you giddy.  It doesn't feel like work at all.  I've been up to my elbows in Dickinson books for the past several weeks and I've been turning off the tv to spend time with poems--how refreshing.

As much as I love my job, it's always nice to come home to my fur babies.  Soth has been greeting me at the door every day (I'm sure Barley would if she wasn't in a crate) and yowling for his afternoon snack.  Today he was especially cranky.  I walked in to find papers that were once on my dining room table spread across the floor and Soth was bolting back and forth between the front door and his dish.  Once I fed him, he was happy and content to sit with me on the couch.

Today, one of my co-workers stopped in with some homemade dog treats he made using the used grains for his homebrew.  Bar was thrilled when I pulled out the bag.  It's fun to work with people who like my pets.

Because I've got the most awesome schedule in the world, I just have to make it through tomorrow and I'll be done with the first week.  My cousin's coming up for the holiday weekend, so we'll probably check another of the Doggin' Cleveland adventures off the list.  I'm happy to have a long weekend to regroup and snuggle with the pets for a bit.

3 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for long weekends!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Today, one of my co-workers stopped in with some homemade dog treats he made using the used grains for his homebrew."

    This is awesome on multiple levels :-) And I'm almost through August, already! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like it, Ben! And I agree that having a co-worker bake for my dog (and brew beer that I may one day get to enjoy) is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete