Thursday, August 16, 2012

Travels Without Barley

Last week, Barley, Soth, and I headed to my parents house to celebrate my dad's birthday with a beer and a ball game.
Ok, so this was a different birthday, but same place, same beers, different shirts, so it works.
PNC is the prettiest field in the world.
Luckily, the Pirates got the memo that Dad needed a better game than last year's birthday game and we could "Raise the Jolly Roger!"  We also go to throw up a few Zs during the game.
Yay Cutch!
We had a great trip and Dad got a couple days off, so we took some adventures in the Mingo Creek park near their house: first with a hike with Barley and my parents' dog Maz before the ball game (we got a little lost and my glutes were very unhappy the next day) and then a family picnic (minus the little bro who doesn't have summer vacay) the next day.
I took this on my sister's phone, so I can steal it from her blog, right?
Barley had a great time playing frisbee with my dad and sister.  They played an intense game of pickle in the middle with her and she was worn out by the end of the day.

Then I headed down to my sister's to help her put up some bulletin boards in her classroom.  I can't wait to see them when they're all finished because I think that they are already super cute right now.

I did, however, learn that I am very glad that I don't have a classroom of my own!  As cute as the bulletin boards are, putting them up is way too much manual labor for my taste!  

I also learned that I hate traveling without my pets.  I got a taste of this in May when I drove from Pittsburgh to DC to Williamsburg, VA to Charlotte, NC to Charleston, SC to go to various graduations and catch up with good friends, but this short trip confirmed that I'd much rather have my pets along for the adventure.  Driving alone is just so lonely.

The pets seemed to hate me traveling without them, too, even though their grandparents spoiled them silly while I was gone.  Now that I'm home, they are in rare form; I might actually look forward to going back to work on Monday if they keep this up!

When I first got my parents' on Tuesday to retrieve them, Barley almost knocked me down the basement stairs she was so excited to see me when the door opened.  Soth came trotting into the room pretty quickly, too, to get his love.  Neither one of them has let me out of their sight for long since I got back. 

Today was our first full day at home.  Soth has been giving me the evil eye all day, despite wanting to be right beside me all day.
This is the look I got while I drank my coffee this morning.  (If you look closely, you can see Barley's tail in the background . . . she couldn't be left out, either.)
Seriously. He is creepy.
I'm a little afraid he is going to try to suffocate me in my sleep tonight.

Barley has been beside me all day, with one naughty exception.  A few minutes ago, I caught her with her paws on the stove licking the pork chop pan I had just emptied of leftovers.  When she knew she was caught, she ran and hid under a pillow.
"I can't get in trouble if Mom can't see me."
Now, she's snoring away beside the couch.
Sweet dreams!
In just a few short days apart, we've returned to that crazy lifestyle of Barley following me everywhere, even sleeping on the bath mat while I'm in the shower.  Hopefully, a few fun adventures (we still have 40 or so hikes to try out from Doggin' Cleveland!) over the next few days will cure this before I am back at work all day again.  I'm convinced Soth's beyond hope unless I decide to take him to church for an exorcism--I mean, the blessing of the animals--whenever that rolls around again.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your help! I can't wait for you to see the completed project either! I'm just not sure I'm ready to go back to work to finish them... :-)

    I wish the pets could come visit me, but I don't think my apartment could handle all the extra energy! Maybe one day we will be able to spread out a little and have a yard so they can come play!

    ReplyDelete