Friday, September 28, 2012

Relief

This has been a rough week for me and the pets.

On Monday, I came home with a massive headache and passed out for 3 hours.  By the time I could drag myself out of bed, it was getting dark, so Barley didn't get a walk.  Then on Tuesday, we got a quick walk in with our friends Abby, Paradox, and Crux, but I had to grade a billion papers, so Barley missed out on extended play time.  On Tuesday, I also came home to a dining room covered in cat barf (after coming home to a cat covered in shhhh on Monday), so I had to call the vet because this vomiting several times a week thing is getting old.

So, Wednesday afternoon was spent at the vet's office where Soth had several tests run.  First, they weighed him.  Soth, who has been overweight for most of the time I've had him (thank you vet in NM for trying to solve all our problems with steroids), had lost 1.6 pounds in about 6 months, which is a lot for a cat (1 pound for a cat is roughly like 9 for a human), especially when the cat spends all of his time indoors and most of that time is spent eating or sleeping.  He's also been drinking a lot more water than usual, so when I saw how much his weight had gone down, I panicked.  My grandma's cat had diabetes and she had to give him insulin every day; I hate needles; I wasn't sure I could do that for the rest of our life together--and Soth's only 4.5, so God willin' we still have a lot of time left together.  His temperature was normal and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him by listening to his heart and lungs or poking around his belly.  So, we went for the big panel of tests that does blood, urine, and stool tests.  I had to sit in the waiting room while they got the samples and it was terrible listening to my little man cat yowl in the examine room.  Then we had to wait until today for results.

The little love of my life.
Yesterday was great for me, but less great for Barley.  One of my best friends was passing through town on the way to a wedding, so she and her mom stopped to spend the night since we hadn't had a reunion in 2 years!  But, that meant Barley only got a little neighborhood walk while we waited for their arrival.  And, she only got a tiny percentage of my attention while we were chatting.

This morning, I tried to pass the time waiting for the update on Soth's results, but since I'd already done a thorough cleaning for company, I wasn't very successful.  So, I gave up and Barley and I went adventuring in the Holden Arboretum to see how the leaves were progressing with their fall colors.  While the leaves hadn't changed as much as I had expected them to from what all of the trees on the way there looked like, it was still a really awesome day.  So, we let ourselves get lost in the woods for over 2 hours and it was perfect.

Turtles on a log!

Stopping in our favorite part of the arboretum--the boardwalk!



Time to stop for water



This funny little toad made me think of our weird old neighbor who sang songs about the little toads.

The leaves around the lake are starting to change.

Smile for the camera :)


On the way home, we stopped at Petsmart to replenish our treat supplies so we can throw ourselves into our training for the TDI again.  When we got home, I talked to the vet and she said that Soth's blood sugar, thyroid, kidneys, and liver were all good and that his stool sample came back negative.  The only thing that was not great was the urine sample, which had a lot of blood in it and even some white blood cells (which I don't 100% understand what that means).  So, our vet thinks this is just an extreme case of his FLUTD issues and he's on an all wet food diet for awhile to get more fluid in him and keep the blood and crystals from concentrating more.  Hopefully, he'll be back to normal (or as normal as he ever gets) in no time.  


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that Bun is ok! I love Barley's smile for the camera pic :-) Good luck training for the test!!

    ReplyDelete