Monday, December 17, 2012

I ❤ My Town

My town is seriously the cutest place.  It's a lot like Gilmore Girls' Stars Hollow, but a little creepier.  The people are unique, like the characters in Stars Hollow, but mostly they celebrate EVERYTHING!

There are parades for many occasions (but probably not as many as there were when I lived in LV, NM and had to plan my comings and goings around parades so that I didn't get blocked out of (or in) the drive way).  Most recently was the Christmas parade, but I didn't make it out to see that parade--parades were much easier to catch when I just had to look out of my living room window :)

They also decorate for everything.  The really big celebration is the Grape Jamboree, and they hang baskets of purple flowers that look like grape bunches all up and down the road in downtown.  Around Halloween, they put scarecrows made by various businesses and organization on all of the light posts for a ghoul fest of some sort.  The last couple winters they have had wooden snowmen also decorated by various groups.

They also have fantastic decorations for Christmas.  There are the standard garlands and wreaths on the light posts.  One of the banks downtown also has a speaker attached to the light post in front of it; I'm not sure if that is the bank's doing or the city's, but it blares Christmas music throughout downtown.  You can hear it for blocks.  This makes cold walks with Barley much cheerier.  There are Christmas carolers made out of lights.  The clock in the middle of the town has a Santa hat (it used to also have a mouse on a ladder, which reminded me of the old Night Before Christmas movie where the young mouse has to fix the clock to summon Santa, but that's not out this year, which makes me sad).
This is the clock tower last year.  The mouse was there, but it's hiding behind a peppermint.
They also have some little wooden decorations.  Today, I made Barley go take a few pictures with them.
Will Barley's stocking have anything fun in it this year? 
Skate faster, Timmy! It's Dogzilla!
Seriously, how cute is my town??

I went to the library to get a library card today--I figured that since I have an iPad now, I could check out books from the comfort of my bed!  When I walked into the library, I found another reason to love my town.

THEY HAVE A LIBRARY CAT!  His name is Crash and he's orange and I'm partial to orange kitties.  You can read his story here.  Crash met me at the door and sat there looking rather stately.  I was giddy.  I read Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World over the summer (Soth was getting upset by all of the dog books, so I decided to make an exception to my no cat books rule) and I've been obsessed with the idea of a library cat ever since.  The bookstore I loved in my town in NM had a bookstore cat, which I also loved (and the fabric store had a fabric store dog--why don't more shops have pets?!), so I was really excited to have a library cat in town!  He seems like a popular fellow.  When I left the library, he was sitting outside and an older man walked by and said, "Hi cat. Whatcha doing?"  Even though I got the card to get ebooks, Crash might be a good reason to go get regular books, too.  

Side note: When I went into the library, a man behind the front desk read my Queens hoodie and said, "Queens University?  My daughter used to live down the block from there."  Such a small world.

1 comment:

  1. Aw I like your town, too! I love where I live, but sometimes I wish it had the small town charm. I want my library to have a library cat! I agree that more stores should have pets. I would visit a lot more frequently!

    ReplyDelete