Friday, December 7, 2012

Nurse Barley

Remember Nana from Peter Pan?  Barley's not quite as good at pouring medicine into spoons, but she's been an excellent nurse today.

For the last year, I've been not feeling quite myself and finally I decided to go to the doctor.  I've been having back (and other joints) pain; on the worst days, I can't roll over in my sleep, so I end up waking up all night long, and I can't bend over to put Barley's leash on her, so she has to hop up on the bed for me to do it.  Luckily, it's been about 6 months since I've had one of those days.  But it's still enough that the only time I really feel good is when I'm out walking Barley--and there are only so many hours in the day (and only so many miles my legs can take!).  I've also been more tired than usual (my regular 30 minute naps have become 2 hour naps), even in the summer when I wasn't teaching and rarely had to set an alarm.  When I started thinking back on when this all started, it was right around the time my Barley girl was diagnosed with lyme disease.  Even though I never found one of the disgusting tick-bite targets on myself (check google images if you are unclear what they look like), I do have some of the symptoms--and since I never found a tick on Barley, either, I decided it wouldn't hurt to get tested.

So---11 months later, I finally got around to calling a doctor and making an appointment.  Today, I had to go in and get blood work done.  In addition to the lyme test, the doctor ordered like a billion other things to rule out everything else under the sun.  She also wanted to check my cholesterol--apparently you're supposed to start doing that when you're 18.  Who knew?  That meant that I had to fast for 12 hours before the test!  Luckily, the lab didn't need appointments, so I ate until I didn't want to eat any more last night and then started the 12 hour count (most of which was spent sleeping).  Anyone who knows me knows that I live to eat.  Once, my sister and I were reliving our youth and watching episodes of Gummy Bears.  One of the bears said, "It's been 30 minutes! I'm starving!"  I often feel this way, and 30 minutes after the fast started I was hungry again.  Somehow, I made it, though.  Luckily, I had very few interactions with people before I was able to eat.

Anyone who knows me also knows that I tend to faint when I have blood taken.  Last time, I felt fine until I got to my car, then I felt really dizzy and had to nap in the backseat in the parking lot for 30 minutes.  This time was better, but I was so excited to eat that I rushed around the kitchen gobbling up everything in sight.  Then I didn't feel so well.  My sweet Bar spent all day snuggling in bed with me (Soth made a few appearances throughout the day, too).  She was so good and didn't even get up to chase Soth when he started knocking books off the dresser to tell me it was his lunch time.  It always amazes me how calm Barley can be when she needs to be.  For a dog who can walk 5 miles without feeling tired, she can also be the best snuggle bug ever.

After a full day of napping and reading and pet snuggling, I'm feeling much better, so hopefully the weather cooperates and I can make it up to her with an awesome walk tomorrow.  Wednesday, I get the results of today's tests, so let's all keep our fingers crossed that I'm not like my pets and that weird, obscure things don't show up every time I have a test done.

In other news, the pets and I are ready for the holidays! I started with a quick trip to visit my sister and see my best friend who was in DC for the weekend last week.  We ate, drank, and were merry.  It was a fabulous trip!
Besties with Lincoln!
Gingerbread habitats at Zoo Lights in DC!
With my other bestie at the Flying Dog Brewery tour

Big dog, tiny tree
It doesn't smell real, but Soth doesn't care.














Last night, my friends and I made a tragic gingerbread barn--it looked nothing like the picture on the box--we had skylights and tilting walls, but if you look at the barns around here, many of them look like that, so we figured ours was more authentic.  The pictures are on my friends' phones, or I'd post one for your entertainment.

I just have to make it through this next week of finals and then I can spend the rest of the month lounging and watching all of the fabulous holiday specials on tv!  

1 comment:

  1. I had so much fun with you! I wish you lived closer! I hope all your tests went well, although if something is amiss at least they can make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete