Friday, January 4, 2013

Goodbye 2012, Welcome 2013

I feel like my first post of the new year should be something profound, but so far the new year has brought nothing profound.  We ended the old year with a bang--Soth threw up and then peed on my dry-clean only jacket, Barley cowered in her crate while they neighbors set off fireworks (but mercifully only set off a handful!), and I drank good beer with my wonderful family.  The new year started with a celebration of Barley's adoption day yesterday (2 years together feels more like 20, and I wouldn't change it!) and a trip back to our apartment after two weeks at my parents' house--if you've never come home to an apartment where the thermostat has been sent to 52 degrees for two weeks, I don't recommend trying it!

Since there's not much to report for 2013 yet, I'm going to copy my sister and give you the highlights of 2012.  Here are the top 5:

5. Graduations.  Two of my favorite fellas graduated in May.  First, my baby brother graduated from William and Mary (if anyone is hiring someone with an economics/marketing degree, call him!).  Then my best friend graduated the next weekend from the Medical University of South Carolina (I'm still waiting for him to find me a rich doctor husband).  It was really great to be able to celebrate with them--and now I have an itch to get another degree.


4. Hiking. As almost every 2012 post mentions, Barley and I spent a ton of time hiking this summer.  It was really fun to be able to explore our home and see all of the cool places that are hidden less than 50 miles from our house!  We still have plenty of places left to explore to visit every Doggin' Cleveland site, but we're really happy with the handful we've already been to!  We got to show a few our favorites to family members, but we're hoping that we can show them off to even more in 2013!

3. Emily Dickinson. I got to teach my dream class in the fall semester: a major author study on Emily Dickinson.  The class was super small and every single student was incredible; they were enthusiastic (and didn't roll their eyes too much over my enthusiasm) and brought a lot of great insights to her poetry and made their own beautiful representations of Dickinson.  I could not have asked for a better group of students to have in my dream class.  I feel really lucky that I'm not even 30 yet and I've had the chance to teach the class of my dreams.

2. Training.  Even though our training goals didn't all turn out quite the way we planned, Barley was awesome this year and has come such a long way!  We learned how to do doggie pushups (combos of down-sit-down, sit-stand-sit, down-stand-down, etc.) to get her refocused when she is being obstinate.  We've both gotten MUCH better at agility--and while I still don't always know my left from my right the different crosses don't always confuse me (maybe we'll make competition of 2014 resolution . . . but don't hold me to that).  We passed the AKC Canine Good Citizen test in May.  Most importantly, though, we made our bond even stronger--she responds to what I want from her without me even telling her: when we get home from a walk, she sits when we get to the front door and waits until I unlock it and then when we get inside she sits again until I get the door shut and release her; when I stop while we're out walking, she stops and sits.  I really couldn't ask for a better dog.



1. Family and Friends. This year was filled with quality family and friends time.  I had a chance to reconnect with some old friends and to spend time with several close friends that I don't see nearly enough.  As a pit stop between the different graduations, I got to spend the night with my wonderful college roomie and meet her sweet little boy.  In addition to going to my BFF's graduation, we also met up at my sister's in December--we never get two visits in one year!  We finally got to eat perogies (and about 1,000,000 other calories worth of food) together and my incredible sister chauffeured us around DC to see zoo lights and the monuments!  One of my other very best friends stopped by for a sleepover on her way to a wedding.  I love having friends like these!  Even though I don't see them nearly as much as I want to, we always pick up right where we left off and it's like we haven't been apart a single day.  And most of these visits wouldn't have been possible without my wonderful family who babysat the pets while I galavanted or let me crash at their places.  I love that I'm within a day's drive of my family again!


It will be hard for 2013 to top 2012, but since most of these things (training, family, hiking) are constants in my life it's definitely possible!  I normally don't do resolutions, but this year I have two: walking more miles each month than the one before (let's hope we're not up to something crazy by December!) and to have happy healthy pets.  So far, they are both well under way.  Barley and I walked 6.3 miles during the first three days of the month (I'm still trying to convince myself to go out into the cold today) and Soth's currently at the vet so they can culture his urine--hopefully by the time I go pick him up we'll have some answers as to why he hasn't had a break from his FLUTD for months.

Hope that everyone had very happy holidays and that 2013 brings love and happiness!
"Do you herd what I herd?" t-shirt!




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a good year, too! I can't wait to come and play with you! Here's hoping 2013 is a healthy year for all our pets!

    ReplyDelete