Friday, June 28, 2013

A New Leash

A couple weeks ago, The Yellow Dog Project Facebook page posted a link to the Etsy.com store Cody's Creations.  The store makes all kinds of fun collars, leashes, harnesses, and treat pouches.  They made a leash inspired by the Yellow Dog Project that's bright yellow with "I Need Space" printed on it.  I ordered one, so today I just want to give a big shout out to Kerri, the owner of Cody's Creations, for coming up with this leash!


I ordered the leash on Sunday and it was here by Wednesday, so we took it for a spin today (it was too rainy on Thursday for walking and it came after we walked on Wednesday).  We didn't see anyone with small children or other dogs to fully test out it's effectiveness, but the colors are bright and it's easy to read from a safe distance, so I'm hoping that when we do end up near possible triggers for Barley we can pass without people insisting their dogs meet her.

As a leash, it's great!  It's not as thick as our other leash, but it's still sturdy and comfortable to hold.  Since it's thinner, it's easier to hold on to when I have Barley reeled in and need to hold on to 5 extra feet of leash.  It's still 6-feet long like our other leash, so there's plenty of room for Barley to go out and sniff things when there's room.

The only downside I can see to it so far is that it's only a one-sided design, so when the leash twists, sometimes the design isn't visible.  I'm sure it's one-sided so that the leash isn't as slippery when you have it folded up in your hand to reel the dog in--the yellow material is a little slippery and the other side has some traction, so it makes sense to only have yellow on one side.  We'll just have to learn to keep the leash from twisting around, especially when other dogs are around.

We also got an awesome squirrel collar.  
Here's the picture from the Etsy store--Barley's neck is too fluffy to get a good picture of it actually on her :)

According to our instructor, dog's can't wear tags in the agility ring (we still have a lot to learn!), so I thought we should get an extra collar so we don't have to try to take our tags off and put them back on  again if we ever do get around to competing. We did have a backup collar that we use while her regular one dries after bath time, but I figured if tags aren't allowed bottle openers probably aren't either.

So, a big thank you to Kerri and Cody's Creations for making us an adorable collar that captures Barley's personality and a leash that will hopefully help keep my pup happy, healthy, and safe!

3 comments:

  1. The collar is so cute! I hope people respect the leash! It will make your life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first non-beer-related collar I found that seemed to capture her personality, so I figured I better get it. RIP Herman the Vermin.

      Delete
  2. Hello Elizabeth!

    My name's Tammy and I'm the Marketing Coordinator at TheUncommonDog.com. I found your blog through Blog Paws and thought you might be interested in seeing a fun and engaging infographic we've created that focuses on dog safety during the hot summer months: http://www.theuncommondog.com/Images/infographics/dog-days-summer.jpg

    If you like the infographic and want to share it with your readers please feel free to do so. The only thing we ask in return is that you link back to TheUncommonDog.com in someway from your post.

    Also, definitely let me know if you do decide to post it because we'd be happy to spread the word about your blog by linking to your post from our Facebook page.

    Big Tail Wag!
    Tammy Sexton
    Marketing Coordinator
    tammy@theuncommondog.com
    www.theuncommondog.com

    ReplyDelete