Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Eight Percent!

On Sunday, I read in Parade that only 8% of Amecicans achieve their New Years Resolutions. If you remember, I set a resolution of walking more each month than I did the month before. Today, I'm happy to report that Barley and I joined that 8% of Americans! By the end of the year, we had doubled our monthly mileage. Some lovely weather in May made us walk 23 more miles than we had in April--which at that point was making our goal seem unattainable.  But we did it!

(Oops! I forgot to take a picture of the big 100% yesterday before it joined our historical goals log.)
So here's the breakdown of how it happened:

January: 44.21
February: 46.66
March: 57.77
April: 60.1
May: 83.3
June: 84.59
July: 85.13
August: 86.57
September 87.02
October: 88.11
November: 89.25
December: 91.51
For a grand total of 904.22 miles this year!

There were plenty of times I didn't think we'd make it--and plenty of times when we procrastinated and had to walk 15 miles in the course of the last 3 days of the month.  To be honest, I'm not sure we would have made it this month if we hadn't migrated south for the last couple weeks.  Rumor has it that it was 17 degrees and snowy many a day at home while we were enjoying sunny walks with near 50s temps. But, we did it.

One of our favorite walks of December was a trip to Cheaha State Park--the highest point in Alabama--where Barley got to experience mountains for the first time (and I managed to get in a short walk without any altitude sickness!).









There were some great views (although I stayed far far far away from the edge) and we managed to stay upright despite the steep, rocky, leaf covered trails. I'd call it a success.


We've set a new goal for 2014--to walk a total of 1000 miles throughout the year. (Yes, you can expect references to The Proclaimers song often over the next year.) 

It might seem lofty, but in March and April, we purposely took days off to avoid pushing our mileage up too high so early in the year (and trying to walk over 44 miles in the February cold seemed impossible many times), so it seemed less stressful to set a total goal and spread it across the whole year (it's about 2.74 miles a day if we walk every day--totally doable) instead of panicking at the end of every single month again.

Wish us luck!
Barley, Soth, and I are sending happy holidays and happy new year wishes to all!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! And congratulations.

    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." -- Lao Tzu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy for the 8%!!! I'm so glad I got to do a few of those miles with you! Love all the pics of Bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley and I are glad her Aunt L could do some of those miles with us, too!

      Delete