Friday, January 24, 2014

Frozen

Since I moved to the frozen north 3.5 years ago, I accepted that snow and cold is part of my life. I rarely play the southern cold and have never missed a day of work because of snow (although I did show up late for office hours on the day I had to embrace my inner MacGyver to figure out how to open my car doors that were frozen shut during my first winner). Some days, I even think I like snow.

This week, though, Mother Nature and I are on the verge of war.

Temperatures haven't been very far into the double digits since Monday. The "feels like" temperatures have been in the negatives. That means Barley and I haven't had a real walk since Monday. On Tuesday, at least we had agility, but the lack of walking was already taking it's toll. She decided she would rather just run laps around the gym on her turn than actually listen to me. I'm thankful that she got to stretch her legs, but it would have been nice if she could have done that by doing the things I asked her to do.

Wednesday morning, we pretended we were hibernating until it was time for my afternoon class.
Soth picks strange places to hibernate.
Warm and snuggly.
We've done our best to get out some energy, but it's been tough. We can only do the wobble board, jumps, and weave poles so many times before Barley's bored with it (or we run out of treats). We've tried to practice some of our focus games, but I don't want to make my pup's brain explode. Plus, Soth wants to be included. Once he starts rubbing against the jumps or the weaves, we have to stop working to keep everybody safe.

I even ordered her an IQ treat ball from Amazon. It's the best $11 I've spent on Amazon (and that's saying something for someone who's a book addict). I think it breaks her brain. She'll pick it up and drop it, bash it into walls, nudge it from one end of the apartment to the other until she passes out beside it and wakes up and starts all over again.

But that can only amuse her for so long because she can't just eat treats from the moment she wakes up to the moment she goes to bed.

Today, I broke down and took her for a "walk." If we go to the short end of the street and back, we've gone half a mile and still made it back inside in less than 10 minutes, which I figure is more exercise than she gets (and definitely more than I get) when we go out on the long lead in the backyard.

We logged a mile (1000 is feeling very far away at this point) today.

I can totally make up our missed miles in April, right?
The sun didn't do much good at 11:30 this morning.
Things were not more pleasant by 4:30.
I'm thankful for the few neighbors who had actually shoveled the sidewalk in front of their houses to give my pup's toes a quick break from the snow. Tomorrow's supposed to reach a balmy 21 degrees, so maybe we'll make it a full mile in one shot!

How do you keep your dog happy and healthy when it's too cold to be outside?

10 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you at FitDog Friday! We hope you'll join us for K9 Kamp too! It's typically not too cold in Atlanta, but we've had a cold snap these last few days too. Sounds like we play some of the same indoor game you do. I pull out the wobble board and one 2x2 and set them up in the living room! We have the JW Pet Interactive Treat Tower and Rocco loves it! Since he's a small pup, we can also play fetch and frisbee down our hallway. I'll also pick a trick to train and work on that, since that typically doesn't take up too much room. Oh, and box games! I have Rocco get in the box, on top of the box, etc.! Stay warm!
    Diane and Rocco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My living room/dining room has become a little agility course! I pushed the dining room table (since it's only really used as something to pile papers on!) against the wall so we can set up two jumps and work on agility recalls and then I can put those away and we can start our weave practice with the 2x2s--if the weather keeps this up, she'll be weaving in no time! When we've had enough of that, I stand at one end of the living/dining room and toss toys for her :) I'm looking forward to when I can rearrange my furniture back into a normal layout!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I feel your pain. Luckily I live in SoCalifornia now, but used to live in upstate NY so I know the cold and the hazards of a lively dog when you can't get out. Maybe some of our hide & seek games we're introducing as part of K9 Kamp will help drain some of that energy. Thanks for joining the Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely didn't know what I was getting into when I brought a border collie mix into an apartment in a place where we get snowed in several months out of the year! I always love learning new games to keep her busy!

      Delete
  3. Ugh we haven't been loving this either. Either tummy troubles or frozen paws. It's supposed to get up to 33 today! BUT it's snowing again. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry my nephew's been suffering in the cold! I guess he is a true southern gentleman.

      Delete
  4. Never gets that cold in my neck of the woods but I do sympathise with you. Must be hard to stay motivated. Sounds like you are doing lots indoors though & love the sound of your dogs puzzle game. Must be very tricky. Happy FitDogging (in the warmer months)
    Paws and Pedals (Scooter & Kate)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been here almost 4 years and it's never been this cold! It's tough having an active dog when it's too cold to go outside. I don't know what we'd do without our agility class and all of the wonderful games people having been sharing to keep my pup's brains busy! Enjoy the warmth extra for us!

      Delete
  5. We know what you are talking about with the cold! We do our best to get out when we can, which means when the weather isn't below zero, which isn't very much this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been tough this winter! I counted it up today and there were 10 days when we were either traveling during daylight hours and couldn't walk or it was too cold to walk at all. I hope we get some warmer weather soon!

      Delete