Friday, March 7, 2014

FitDog Friday: Mother Nature Strikes Again

We've had another week of bitter cold and little exercise. In addition to the cold, the universe also decided to keep us from going to noseworks.

On Sunday, I was just finishing my coffee and getting treats ready to head out the door to noseworks class when our trainer called to say that class was canceled because there was no power at the training center. Apparently, several transformers exploded and most of the county where the training center is lost power. Luckily, my county still had power, so Barley and I just hibernated and graded papers instead. So, we've just been continuing our homework of building value for the box and hopefully we'll get to learn something new and exciting this weekend!

Snuggly siblings.
Apparently they didn't get the memo that this is my bed and I deserve space in it.
We didn't get many walks in this week because it was just too cold. I am so looking forward to spring's arrival--hopefully it doesn't take too long. Barley has been getting into mischief every time I turn my back!

I didn't shut her in the crate or the bedroom (because Soth wouldn't get out of the bedroom and I felt bad putting her in her crate for extra time) while I showered on Tuesday. When I got out of the bathroom, she was standing in the middle of the kitchen counter where Soth's food dish is (luckily he doesn't get fed until after I get ready for work, so it was empty). She couldn't figure out how to get down. I don't know if it was higher than she thought it was when she hopped up there or if she was afraid of jumping onto the linoleum floor, but I had to start my day by lifting my dog off the counter.

She's also decided she prefers to play with her brother's cat toys.
We got a little taste of spring today with temperatures in the 40s and bright sunshine making it feel even warmer. I was almost tempted to open the windows and let some fresh air in.  Then I remember that it was only in the 40s and that wasn't really open window weather.

But we did make up for some of the mileage we didn't get in earlier in the week with a good 4.15 walk at the State Park and another short walk in our neighborhood this evening.

There were cool snow mounds all along the path.
Practicing "Paws Up" on a snow mound. She looks a little awkward.
She's been sleeping most of the evening, so I think I finally wore this pup out! Hope everyone else has gotten a little bit of a break from the cold and gloom.



8 comments:

  1. It's so hard to wear out a pup when the weather doesn't cooperate! Glad you got out and got some exercise in. At least spring is around the corner. ANd, hey nice job on the paws up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves paws up! We're still haven't master the second half of the trick of hiding her face, but now we've at least got a cute new pose for pictures :)

      Delete
  2. Love that girl! She gives a new meaning to the term counter surfing :-) Hope you guys have fun at class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That girl is so bad! I found out a couple days ago that she's been hopping up onto the table that I have pushed against the wall on the other side of the half-wall in the kitchen to get up there!

      Delete
  3. nothing better than seeing the joy on your dog's face after being confined inside the home due to bad weather..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! And my dog has such a goofy grin that it does wonders for chasing away winter weather woes!

      Delete
  4. It has been an extremely frustrating winter as far as our training is concerned. Our weather seems to be improving and hopefully we will get rid of some of our snow this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your frustration! We had gorgeous weather for a couple days and then Wednesday the snow came back in full force!

      Delete