Friday, May 2, 2014

April Resolution Recap

Since April just wrapped up, it seems like a good day for a recap of our progress towards our New Year's Resolution goal of 1,000 miles in the year 2014.

At the end of March, we were a little behind schedule. We walked 95+ miles during the month of April, which is 35+ more miles than we did last April. After adding in 2 miles we squeezed in between rain showers yesterday, we're at 26% of our goal for the year--so still a little behind schedule, but if we can have another month like April this month, things will definitely be looking up!

Here's the summary of our April walks.

I was worried that we would have a set-back after the run-in with the off-leash dog. We spent the weekend after it happened going on fun adventures outside of the neighborhood, including a 6.2 mile walk (our longest walk in the time I've had my Garmin watch) at the Arboretum together.

It was finally warm enough that I felt good about letting Barley get a little bit wet (and the stairs down to the boardwalk weren't icy any more, so I was brave enough to tackle them).

Running away from the water. I guess she forgot she hates to get her toes wet.

Barley also posed to be part of the Arboretum's #hugatreeforholden program


A few flowers were finally starting to make an appearance, so we made sure to get photographic evidence that spring came, if only for a few days.


Since our last post, we also did an Easter Egg hunt--our noseworks class had joked about it with our trainer since we didn't have class on Easter Sunday, but since my aunt had sent me a basket with four plastic eggs inside, I thought why not? Since we only had four eggs, I had to keep refilling and hiding--but it was a fun twist on our noseworks practice that made Bar use her nose and her brain.

She quickly discovered that if she brought the eggs to the patio and dropped them they'd open up and she could have her snack.


Some eggs were harder to find than others. The one on the chair was near a lot of other scents--a citronella candle, the bowl full of treats I was refilling the eggs with, and the empty eggs--so it took her ages to find that one, even though she was practically on top of it many, many times.


We also got to take advantage of just sitting outside and relaxing to get some fresh air and sunshine.

Soth got to enjoy some fresh air, too.

For some reason, probably the herding instinct and desire to protect her flock, Barley doesn't know how to relax outside. Unlike my parents' sweet girl, who likes to watch over her yard in a calm and relaxed way, Barley's always on alert. I can get her to chill out for a little bit if I give her some sort of chew treat, but as soon as it's gone, she's back pacing and watching for anything that might come into the yard.

When she looks like she doesn't have ears, she's anxious--who knows why she's leaning, though. I, on the other hand, was totally relaxed with the Pirates on the radio and a beer in my hand.
Are you sure you don't want to patrol the yard with me, Mom?
I hear that Jack Russell. Can I please go out and growl at him?
In unrelated news, yesterday, Soth and I celebrated five years together! I didn't think I would ever become a crazy cat lady, but I'm pretty sure I earned that title the moment I laid eyes on my little guy. (Thank goodness I have a dog to be crazy about, too, and balance things out!)

After all of our fresh air and sometimes sunshine last month, we're feeling especially fit (and happy!) on this FitDog Friday. Next week is final exam week, so as soon as I get all of my grades submitted, I'm officially free to adventure with my pup for the next several months! We're looking forward to revisiting some parks we haven't seen since the fall and finding some new ones and we can't wait to hear what adventures everyone else has planned now that warmer weather has officially arrived.


14 comments:

  1. Good job on the walking. With summer coming, you'll be able to get ahead of the goal I'm sure. Soth is a real cutie. Be sure and have him check out our new SlimKitty site - all sorts of food, fitness & fun for CATS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm hoping since the only work I'll have to do is prep for the fall's classes, we'll have plenty of time to get in a morning and evening walk every day (and at the rate this weather is going, it looks like we won't have to worry about the days being too hot for walking!). And thanks! I'm pretty crazy about Soth--we'll definitely be checking out the SlimKitty site :)

      Delete
  2. Mr. N doesn't relax outside either. He's always ready to go! I think not having a yard doesn't help either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's part of our problem, too! We sort of have a little yard at our apartment, but there's no fence and our neighbor used to let their Jack Russell run loose and it would run into our yard and attack our French doors when hurried Barley inside. They keep it tied up now, but Barley's always on the look out for it (and squirrels, groundhogs, rabbits, cats, robins).

      Delete
  3. That's awesome you are keeping your walking mileage. We have never done that, just the time we are walking. If Barley has Border Collie in him then that would explain why he is nervous outside all the time. We don't have any friends of that breed because they are no fun for us. They only want to guard and herd stuff and we prefer to play fun games like chase and wrestle. Congrats on five years with the kitty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley likes to chase and wrestle with select dog friends (and her cat brother), but when it's just the two (or 3 if the cat comes out) of us, she's always on guard duty! And thanks for the congratulations--6 years ago I never thought I'd have a cat and now I can't imagine life without my little fella!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos! Good job with the walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If we don't walk, bad things happen--for example, I find Barley standing in the middle of my dining room table ;)

      Delete
  5. You inspire me--I know I walk miles and miles a month, but never counted them up. Maybe that'll be my May resolution. :) Sage is such a Border Collie, so I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a Garmin Forerunner 10 gps watch that tracks all of our miles for us! Having a goal is so helpful to me because it gives me motivation to get off the couch and take a break from grading papers!

      Delete
  6. Excellent job on wracking up the miles. Glad the dog incident didn't set you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad it didn't set us back, either. Barley's come so far since I adopted her and I was terrified we were going to be starting over with her training, but for the most part she seems ok.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you reached your goals! I'm off to read about the off-leash dog incident, I've been having a few of those myself. In fact, I feel a rant coming on. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We had another one yesterday--three dogs, all off leash, all running across a semi-busy street to get to us! Luckily, they were friendly dogs, and after Barley gave a little snarl they backed off (and their owner was 3 steps behind them, apologizing profusely . . . which doesn't excuse it, but makes it slightly better than when you have no idea where the dog came from since there's actually someone to grab the other dog), but it is so frustrating! Someday, I'm not going to be able to bite my tongue when the owners show up with their apologies!

      Delete