Friday, May 16, 2014

FitDog Friday: Between the Storms

I've always loved thunder storms--and growing up in southeast Georgia, I used to get to enjoy them frequently in the summers. I also love the way the sky looks after a storm. 

Somehow, I picked a dog who is really scared of thunderstorms. I know many dogs are to some extent, but Barley is terrified of them. At the slightest hint of thunder, she goes into what I call her wolf mode (and what trainers would probably say is Barley going over her threshold). Her ears are plastered back, her normally peppy tail is down and straight, and she can't hear a word I'm saying; she pulls at the end of her leash (something she never does normally) and weaves from one said of the sidewalk/street to the other while trying to drag me home. She looks just like any horrifying wolf in cartoons and the only thing she can think about is finding a place to hide.

So, we normally don't walk when there's a chance of thunder because it's dangerous. When Barley's in wolf mode, I can't manage her reactivity because she is completely unresponsive. She's not even interested in treats. It's better for everyone if we just stay home.

But yesterday I had to return some books that were due to the school library. Since there are no classes in session this week, I knew campus would be pretty empty on a Monday evening. It had stormed earlier in the day, so I checked Weather.com and it said there was a 0% chance of rain between 5 and 7 p.m. Barley's never been to campus, so I loaded her up and took her for a quick stroll around campus to drop the books off in the book drop.

The skies were incredible and it wasn't raining yet, so we detoured to the State Park on the way home.  I heard a few rumbles, but Barley seemed ok. Her ears perked a bit, but her tail stayed coiled and up. I didn't want to push things, so we didn't take a very long walk, but we got to enjoy some gorgeous skies over Lake Erie.








My girl and I will be spending the weekend apart as I reunite with some college friends, but we're looking forward to enjoying a little Southern Charm on our travels.

13 comments:

  1. Does look like some stormy weather on the horizon. Good that you still got out to enjoy yourselves. Happy FitDogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an incredible sky to enjoy while we walked--even if it was a shorter walk than we usually do when we go to the park!

      Delete
  2. Glad Bailey did okay even with the stormy skies. Have you tried the Thundercoat?
    Thanks for joining the Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't tried it. I've thought about it, but Barley HATES wearing her car harness (and runs and hides every time I get it out) that I'm not sure she'd be crazy about wearing one of those either. Since she really just curls up in the bathroom or under the bed until it's over, I haven't talked myself into shelling out the money for one yet since there's a good possibility she will never let me put it on her. Have you had success with it?

      Delete
  3. Bailey wasn't afraid as a pup, but as he's gotten older not a fan of the thunder. Katy mostly reacts to Bailey's stress. However, she's a moon child. Give her a full moon and the wolf comes out. Nobody sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Dogs do react to the strangest things, don't they?

      Delete
  4. Mr. N doesn't like thunderstorms either but they're rare here. I'm bracing myself for fireworks season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fireworks are our other nemesis! In my parents' old neighborhood, people set off fireworks all summer, so when we'd visit we had to make sure we got in our last walk of the day long before it started getting dark or I might lose an arm when Barley started tearing off towards the house.

      Delete
  5. Veruca is scared of thunderstorms also. In fact, I think that storm that you talked about is heading our way. I hope Veruca holds up as well as Barley did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Veruca survived the storm, too! The second wave came through here a few hours after our walk, so Barley spent part of the night sleeping on the bathroom floor since it's the only room without any windows!

      Delete
  6. Love the pictures! Glad you guys got a good walk in! I'm jealous that you guys are already in sumer mode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sis! We'll enjoy summer mode a little bit extra for you!

      Delete
  7. Great pics and looks like it was a fun detour and walk. Kilo gets a bit like that as doesn't like thunder or rain/snow. Have a fun weekend. XS

    ReplyDelete