Friday, May 9, 2014

FitDog Friday: A Little Down Time

This week has been a weird mix of down time and chaos. It's finals week, so on the one hand I've had to be on campus less than usual; on the other hand, I've had a ton of grading to work on at home.

Barley is a good excuse to take a break. After every few portfolios, we take a break and practice noseworks or take a walk. So, we've gotten in 24.74 miles in the last week and three of them have been out of the neighborhood.
So happy to get to visit her deer friends after agility class.

We love sunset walks by the river.
We also got a sunset walk by the lake this week!
Such a happy prancing puppy.
All smiles to be on a weekday adventure.
I also decided I needed to take a little time for myself. I'm going to meet up with some friends from college and I haven't seen them since we graduated 7 years ago. So, I got my hair cut. For the first time in about 2 years (unless you count getting my mom to trim it for me or one hair cut from my aunt, who actually is a hair stylist, last summer). 
Barley's checking out the new 'do.

Barley is exhausting--physically, emotionally, and financially--so sometimes I forget to take time for pampering myself. 

This is what happens if I take my eyes off my dog for two seconds.
It's taken a long time, but I've finally realized that one of the most important parts of taking care of Barley is taking time for myself. She's my best bud and I love spending 99% of my time with her. But I need that little bit of time for me. If I don't get that, I have a harder time staying calm and focused to keep her calm and focused. So, I'm totally looking forward to dropping Barley and Soth off with their grandparents and running away for my mini-college reunion so that I can come back feeling refreshed and ready to spend the rest of the summer adventuring with my dog.

There's one set of final portfolios left to grade before I am officially on summer vacation--and now that the windows are open and I can hear the birds chirping, I feel like summer might actually really be on its way! Bring on the two months of reading, hiking, and napping! I'm ready for a little down time--Barley and I are looking forward to a summer of being physically fit and mentally fit.

(On a completely unrelated note: last night, Bar and I were practicing noseworks last night with closed boxes. Barley wasn't focusing--I think she was freaked out because it was actually warm in the apartment yesterday--and Soth came over and started rubbing on the box the treat was under. He has a much clearer alert than Barley, so I'm thinking he might need to come to class instead!)




8 comments:

  1. Great job on you mileage and great photos - walks that pretty are easy to do. Good luck with finals, etc. Thanks for joining the Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We live near so many great parks that even the really strenuous walks are still really enjoyable :)

      Delete
  2. I bet you can't wait until summer vacation. Barely is obviously super smart and is keeping you super busy...I'm sure she finds some creative ways to keep herself busy! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is super smart! She hopped up on the table to check out the packaging that her new collar came in (that's the tissue paper in her mouth) after I had put the collar away to take to my parents' so my dad can switch the tags over for us! I turned my back for two seconds to take a picture of the cat and noticed her in the background of the picture--on the table. Silly pup :)

      Delete
  3. The pic on the table made me laugh! So cute Barely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me laugh, too! But I can't let her find that out or she'll keep doing it :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Y'all!

    Table surfing!!! BOL!! Looks like an agility dog to me!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! She does like to drive to the table in agility class--I just hadn't intended to practice that with my dining room table! ;)

      Delete