Saturday, June 14, 2014

Arboretum Adventures

Even though it's only a few days away from the official start of summer, it's only in the 60s here today. Barley and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful day and visit our favorite spot, the Holden Arboretum.

The robins were singing and the sun was shining, so we decided to check out some of the non-shady sections of the arboretum that we usually don't get to see in the summer.


After we'd soaked up a little vitamin d, we took a little break at the overlook gazebo.


We also saw several birds in the rhododendron garden. This one was our favorite.


We were less excited to see this guy sunning himself along one of the ponds.


The narrow fellow in the grass wasn't the only one soaking up some sunshine by the pond.


These geese and their fuzzy babies didn't necessarily want to be in the pond, but it was better than being on land by Barley, I guess.


 Some of the ponds were covered in lily pads.


Barley was excited to do another loop through the shade after we enjoyed the flowers and ponds.


On the way back to the car, I stopped to take some pictures of flowers that made Barley smile.



We're linking up with Ruckus the Eskie for Sepia Saturday. Hope everyone else's day has been as beautiful as ours!



11 comments:

  1. Barley looks like he is having a blast! It is a nice place to walk with the exception of the snake! Yikes! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our very favorite place to walk! Barley starts doing her happy crying as soon as we take the exit for the Arboretum (even though it's still another 10 minutes or so to the park!). I got a new camera recently with much better zoom than my old one or my phone, so I didn't have to get too close to take a picture of the snake! :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place to walk (other than the snake...LOL)! Barley looks like she is thoroughly enjoying herself. You got some great photos. I recognize that bird perched on the bench....I think it's a Phoebe....we have some nesting under our deck! Every year they nest there, even though the dogs are running around all the time near it.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful place to walk! I wish I was better at recognizing birds! I can identify the basics: cardinals, robins, blue jays, and redwing blackbirds, but that's about it. Then I plan to look up the birds when I get home, but it always slips my mind :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely place! Not too keen on the snake though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never too excited about seeing snakes along the trail either! But the rest of the arboretum is pretty enough to make up for them :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Tenacious Terrier has nominated you for our guest blog spot Share It Sunday. You don't have to do anything just email us a link to the post you'd like us to showcase and we will have it ready for Sunday. If you can also send us a link to the next blogger you'd like to nominate for the Sunday after.
    We are at mollyDOTthewallyATbtinernetDOTcom.
    Have a tremendous Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The arboretum always has something gorgeous for us to visit no matter what time of year we are there!

      Delete
  6. Great pics! You're much more mature when it comes to snake sightings than I am!

    ReplyDelete