Friday, June 13, 2014

Mid-June Resolution Update

Those of you who have been reading a while know that I set a New Year's Resolution goal of walking 1,000 with Barley this year. Since June is the 6th month, ideally we'd be halfway through our mileage and be at or over 500 miles for the year.

We all know this has been a struggle with the brutal winter that never wanted to end. At the end of March, we were only at 17% of our mileage instead of 25%. April was a better month, but we were at 26% instead of 33%.

That means that if we were going to meet the 50% mark by the end of June, we were going to have to cover 24% of our miles, or 240 miles, in a two month-time frame.  That's a lot of miles--definitely more miles than we covered in any two-month time span last year.

Since I'm not teaching this summer, we've had lots of time for walking. We've been pretty consistent with getting in a morning walk and an evening walk, and sometimes a walk in between, each day--especially since the temperatures haven't spent much time out of the 70s.

Unfortunately, since our trip to Niagara Falls last week, we've had thunderstorms in the forecast and rain showers off and on almost every day. With the exception of a brief evening stroll at the State Park one evening, we've been confined to our neighborhood.

That tiny spot  in the middle is a boat that was on it's way back into the marina.

We had to stop and salute the Jolly Roger before going back home and turning on the Pirates game.

Our neighborhood walks aren't very exciting, but it is easy to piece together longer walks without straying too far from the apartment in case it starts pouring. Another plus to neighborhood walks is that we don't have to drive anywhere, so I get plenty of extra time for snuggles with sweet Soth.


So far, in the first 13 days of June, we've walked 58.48 miles. So where does that put us percentage wise?



We are so close. Only 80 miles away from being at 50% of our goal. If we walk 4.7 miles a day for the remaining 17 days of the month, we'll be back on track for meeting our goal. I think the temperatures are eventually supposed to work their way into the 80s this week and I don't want to overwork my pup, either, so I'm not sure we can actually accomplish that, but won't it be fun if we do? 

"Me get worn out? Never." 
Clearly, wearing her out is possible.
Our struggles to get to the halfway point have me thinking about next year's resolution goal. Our 2013 goal was hard to accomplish because the gorgeous spring weather in the first half of the year set some really difficult to achieve mileages for the cold temperatures in December (and I'm not sure we would have met them without our escape to Alabama for Christmas). If next winter is anything like this one was, setting a goal like the one we have this year will be difficult, too. I've thought about setting goals for our pace, but that varies so much based on how many layers we have, how difficult the terrain is, how many critters we want to admire along the trail, and how many flowers we want to stop and smell. If anyone has suggestions on realistic walking goals for 2015, feel free to share them--we've only got a little over 6 months to figure this one out!

Side note: Yesterday, I mentioned the bizarre treat-and-run encounter we had while on our evening walk Wednesday. It happened again this morning! Same guy, same truck, same large milk bones! Except this time he actually said, "You like those treats, don't you?" Surely, this is just a friendly guy in the neighborhood who likes dogs, but I put the treat in my pocket and then threw it out as soon as we got home. How many of these treats am I going to have dispose of? Why do I always attract the weirdos? 




22 comments:

  1. I commend you for sticking with your resolution. It's so easy to give up on it when you fall behind! Keep it up. Be careful of that guy...sounds weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our town is kind of weird in general, so it isn't much weirder than most interactions we have with people on our walks, but it just seems strange that we've been walking the same roads for 3+ years almost every day and have never had this happen before and now all the sudden it happens twice in one week!

      Delete
  2. Mr. N won't eat milk bones. But we get offered them every now and then (at a fair, gas station, random guy in a wheelchair in our neighborhood). If you think you attract weirdos well... People (usually men) bark at Mr. N and he's been called all sorts of names (ankle biter, cat killer, monster, wild beast etc). Plus random people pick him up (or try to) and someone asked me if she could have him. People often say they want him or a dog like him but she seemed serious!
    I joke that I need to borrow a scary-looking big dog to walk with Mr. N so people will give us a wider berth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley doesn't get many milk bones because she gets plenty of soft, easy to break up treats on our walks, so I never buy them, but she lives for her weekly milk bone in the drive-thru after agility class! Poor Mr. N. I can't believe people try to pick him up and call him names--he's way too cute and spunky looking to be any of those things! People generally give Barley plenty of room, but we do have the occasional barker or someone who tries to grab her tail. People amaze me.

      Delete
    2. I like cookies sometimes so see the appeal but not ideal frequent treats- if you can substitute vegies, fruit or all natural low fat. We use the Barnsdale Farms and Bullwrinkles as we went and checked factory and raw materials. But we substitute raw carrots for the yummy liver and chicken crumbly training ones that have a few more calories sometimes.

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, Barley gets bored with the healthy snacks very quickly. Carrots and lettuce are the two veggies she'll eat (she spits out apples most of the time!), but after she's had a few pieces, she quits working for them. We use a lot of salmon jerky, though, because it's stinky and really easy to break into tiny pieces. I also make her homemade peanut butter and banana treats for noseworks practice because I can make them into tiny pieces.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Absolutely! Barley's worth way too much to me to not be wary!

      Delete
  4. I am glad to hear that you are sticking with your mileage goal. Veruca and I walk a lot too, but on a good weekday only get 2.5 - 3.0 miles a day. Weekends are a different story where we can get 5 or more miles a day. Good luck on your 4.7

    I agree with everyone else, go with your gut on the guy handing out biscuits. If he isn't the mail carrier giving your dog a peace offering, its a little weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the year, 3 miles is our average during the week with long walks on weekends, but I'm on summer vacation now, so every day is like a weekend! 4.7 is definitely doable if the weather and our legs cooperate, but I don't want to overwork my pup, either--so I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll make it to 50% by the end of the month, but I know we'll be close!

      Delete
  5. I'm guessing you're going to have a lot of treats to dispose of! I'd continue to play it safe though.
    What an awesome goal you've set for yourself! Just keep plugging along when you can, and you might also be able to make some up in the fall when the temps are cooler? I'm just guessing because I'm new here so I don't know where you're located and what your weather is like! It looks pretty where you are though.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live right on Lake Erie, so there will definitely be cooler temps (but hopefully not significantly cooler temps for a very long time--I'm still scarred from this past winter!) in the fall. Luckily, it's been relatively cool here lately--I've only turned on my tiny a/c unit once this year! I don't think it got above 75 today and it rained off and on, so things stayed pretty cool. Fingers crossed we have this sort of weather for a long, long time!

      Delete
  6. Wow! You're doing really well. You're so close to being right on track, especially with all the bad weather. Keep on trucking!
    Your pals,
    Diane and Rocco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Even if we don't get to 50% by the end of the month, we only need to walk 2.88 miles every day for the rest of the year to reach the goal by New Year's Eve :) That totally seems doable!

      Delete
  7. We have bizarre treating neighbors too...
    Nice job with all the walking, wow! If the weather holds up, I think you'll make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! It seems like lots of people have strange neighbors who hand out treats. It sure would be nice to live in a world where we didn't have to be skeptical about things like this!

      Delete
  8. Maybe ask some of your dog-friendly neighbors if they've seen this guy around. Maybe he's harmless?

    --Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he is just a harmless guy who has no idea I'm weirded out by him. I actually don't know any of my neighbors and, unfortunately, not many of our neighbors walk their dogs (or at least they don't walk them in our neighborhood) and we always have to walk on the opposite side of the street when we do cross paths with neighbors since Barley is so reactive, so we never get a chance to chat. I'm hoping someday someone will be out and about in a yard when it happens, but so far it's only happened on parts of our walk near the park and not the houses. I feel so bad taking the treats just to throw them out, but I don't know a polite way to turn them down!

      Delete
  9. I can't believe you saw the treat guy again. Maybe someday you will find out more about him. Good luck meeting your walking goal. I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, we're still on track to meet our goal, but my phone says thunderstorms and 80+ all week, so we'll see! We might have to get in a little extra mileage with our evening walk today.

      Delete
  10. You've got this! I have another long run in Alabama while we're both there, so hopefully you and dad will choose to walk another 17 miles at the trail haha! :-) Boo for stranger danger. Luckily I'm super scary looking, so I doubt he'll approach you during my visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something tells me Pup won't be up for more than a mile or two at a time in Alabama, but we'll have a popsicle waiting for you when you get home ;)

      Delete