Monday, June 9, 2014

Noseworks Confusion

Last week, we finished our second session of noseworks classes. Our trainer has to recover from some health issues, so she said that we should all just practice at home for the next several weeks and then we'll just have impromptu classes where she sets up practice odor detection tests for us.

We're still waiting on our scent kit to come in (the shipping time period is 2-4 weeks--we're about halfway through that now and I feel like a little kid running to check the mail every day), so for now we're just doing our best to practice with a cotton ball covered in some ground cloves since that's the closet scent I have to the oils.

Since we were going to practice again a little later tonight, I left the boxes off to the side in the living room.

Mischief ensued.

As I was cooking dinner, I looked into the living room and noticed this.


Soth hasn't been pleased that all of the boxes that enter the house haven't been for him. I figured I wouldn't disturb him since he was so happy watching over his catnip cactus from the box.

I went back to tossing together some dinner when all of the sudden I heard barking. Barley frequently tries to play with Soth, so I turned around to make sure she wasn't being rough with him. Instead, she was nudging the box with her nose.

"I didn't know cat was one of the odors we could work with."
She was not happy that somebody else was playing with her box. Soth didn't care.


I guess we'll be working on sharing this summer!


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I really can't blame him! Until we started noseworks training, he got all of the boxes he wanted :)

      Delete
  2. Barley & Soth are both so adorable, I love that they get along (or at least tolerate each other)! My Husky Isis has a nose for news, always sticking her snout everywhere. I think she'd be a good candidate for nosework, going to look into it this Summer. Great mental stimulation for them.
    Cathy Armato
    www.dogsluvusandweluvthem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a blast with it! Since it's all about drive, the dogs don't have to worry about obedience--they just focus on finding the treats or the scent. Even the quietest dogs in our class got really excited about searching :)

      Delete
  3. Haha! I can't wait to play with them in a few weeks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't wait for you to come play with them! We're excited to have somebody who can hide stuff for us so neither of us know where it is!

      Delete