Thursday, June 19, 2014

Victory

I wasn't going to link up with 2 Brown Dawgs and Heart Like a Dog today because I woke up cranky.  First, I stayed up way too late reading a book that is too poorly written (although still enjoyable) to let it encroach on my sleep like that. Then Soth spent most of the night after I finally went to bed fussing--he'd start knocking things off the kitchen counters or my dresser and then I'd get up to scold him and he'd trot into the living room, plop down with his pepper toy, and try to get me to play. I was not amused.

Why is he only peaceful when I'm wide awake?
Seriously, where is this behavior at 3 a.m.?
My day started with having to shop for a baby shower present for a co-worker. I accidentally ended up at Barnes and Noble at the same time story time started. I'd post-poned getting coffee until after I'd finished errands because I had a free drink on my Starbucks app, so I figured I'd let someone else make my coffee for me this morning. That meant I was even less tolerant of the squealing and weird questions than usual. My crankiness grew.

The morning had started out rainy, so Barley and I didn't get a walk in before I left for the morning, but it was still in the 60s when I got home, so off we headed for our walk.

I planned on going for a short walk and taking a longer one this evening--after I have a very long nap. The sky was grey and dreary and I just wanted to go curl up with my stupid book until I fell asleep.

Then after we'd only gone .4 miles, something changed. A car pulled up beside us and a woman said, "Excuse me." I stopped. Then she asked, "Are you a trainer or just a person out walking her dog?" When I told her I was just out walking my dog, she said that she just had to stop and ask because my dog was so beautiful and so well behaved.

Clearly, she wasn't seeing this pancake vulture side of Barley.
Or the crazy Kong face side.
Even though I'm still insanely tired, my mood's lifted a bit. So often, I get caught up with Barley's naughtiness, reactiveness, or just our challenges in general that I forget how far we've come. It was a nice reminder that I have a good dog and that I've worked really hard with my dog and other people can recognize how well trained she is.

Heart Like a Dog


14 comments:

  1. Love it when someone praises our dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I know that my dog has made so much progress since I brought her home, but it's nice when other people recognize that she's a good girl, too :)

      Delete
  2. We all have those days...I was having one yesterday as well, but my dog Riley usually does a great job at lifting my spirits! Barley must be one good girl if strangers are commenting on her behavior! Also, I just have to know...what was this book that had you so angry?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley's generally pretty good at lifting my spirits, too, but lack of sleep and lack of coffee are hard to counteract! She was being extra good today, so this woman caught us on a good day!

      The book is a silly romance novel, Now & Then by Jacqueline Sheehan. I don't normally read romances, but I'd read a couple others by her and they had dogs as main characters, so I thought this one did, too. But the dogs just had teeny tiny parts in the book and the actual writing just wasn't very good, so I don't know why I let myself stay up so late to read it. The story is fun if you like time travel and romance, though.

      Delete
  3. No coffee first thing in the morning would make me very cranky, forget the rest. And why does it always sound like a great idea to stay up late doing whatever until the next morning when you have to get up? lol I am glad your day turned around and you decided to link up. :) It was great that a stranger noticed all of your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not function well before coffee!

      Delete
  4. What a nice compliment to brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice compliment! Sometimes I forget to noticed how well she's behaving!

      Delete
  5. Yay Bar! I always laugh when people say Maddux is beautiful ;-) Also, never go near kids pre-coffee. You're setting yourself up for crazy haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I try to avoid kids pre- or post-coffee, but this was completely accidental.

      Delete
  6. It's always awesome when someone recognizes all the hard work you've put into your dog. :)

    ReplyDelete