Friday, July 4, 2014

I Would Walk 500 Miles . . .

. . . and now I have to walk 500 more to achieve the second half of the goal! That's right, Barley and I met our goal (almost exactly) and had just over 500 miles by the end of the day on June 30.

The line shows where we should have been by that date.

After last week's adventure, I decided that we should embrace our inner Dorothy Gale and not look further than our own [extended] back yard for the last 4 miles of June.  Since we only live about 5 minutes from Lake Erie and it was a weekday, which meant fewer tourists to share the paths with, we spent the morning at the lake.

This is my favorite tree in the park.

The day warmed up quickly despite the cool breeze rolling off the lake, so we stopped for multiple water breaks. Even with water breaks, Barley was wearing out pretty quickly.



She was too tired to even care about the ducks resting on the rocks in the marina, but they got up and jumped in the water as we walked past anyway.

If you look really closely, you might see the baby duck on the rock below the mama and a little to the right. 

One of the nice things about the state park is that there are lots of different places we can park, so on warmer days we can park near the shadier spots or stop by the car halfway through the walk to switch out empty water bottles for full ones. Recently, I bought Barley a cooling coat--mostly for our upcoming literary/hiking vacation since I want to make the most of the short amount of time we'll have in Massachusetts--and we took it on its first test run. Since it wasn't too warm when we started the walk, I left the cooling coat in the car and we swung by and picked it up after the first 2 miles.

Since we switched to the shadier paths for most of the walk after we put it on, I'm not sure how much it helped, but Barley was definitely panting less after I put it on her and it didn't impeded her ability to adventure at all. One benefit I hadn't anticipated is that the coat covers her chest, so when we trotted through some mud, the coat got muddy instead of her chest! I'm a little OCD when it comes to keeping Barley's whites white, so I was very happy when I found out all I had to do was rinse off the cooling coat and wipe down her legs instead of giving her a full-on bath after our walk.


 After I set the goal to try to reach 500 by the 30th, I realized that would actually put us a tiny bit ahead of 50% since the first 6 months of the year include February, which means the second 6 months  has a couple extra days. Regardless, we still have a long way to go by December.

In January, we had to walk 2.97 every day for the entire year to reach 1000. That number kept creeping higher and higher as the numbers on the thermometer crept lower and lower. Now, we're back on track. I haven't done the recalculation to see exactly how much we need to walk each day to meet the goal, but it should be just below 3 miles a day. We're trying to continue walking 3+ every day so that we don't have to end up having lots of long days in December when I'd rather be snuggled up with a book and some hot chocolate.

Every time I've left the house the past few days, I've spent significantly longer trying to get out of town because of all of the lake traffic for the holiday weekend. This also means there are a lot of noisy motorcycles, hot rods, and old campers on one of the roads we walk on frequently. Barley's usually ok with them to a certain degree, but every now and then there's one that's just loud enough she ducks behind me while we walk and won't take a treat until it's out of sight.

We've been avoiding the state park the last few days because of the holiday, but luckily for us, there's another great park on the lake just a few miles further away in a less touristy town.

Since Barley gets very anxious at the tiniest hint of a firework, I'm not sure if we'll have much opportunity for walking today, so yesterday we went to the lake for a few pictures in her patriotic bandana.


I do not really "get" this sculpture garden, but it's fun to stop and pose.

Once again, there was a storm rolling in--even though Weather.com once again told me there was 0% chance of rain for several hours. But it made for more awesome skies and some really pretty water colors. 




This stump was not very flat, so it was a great time to practice some balance work.


As we were taking pictures with the tree on the beach, I started feeling a few sprinkles, so we rushed back to the stairs up to the trail, wrapped my camera and my phone in unused poo bags and stuck them back in my backpack, and hurried back to the car. We were about 1/2 a mile from the parking lot and the farther we walked, the harder it started to rain, but luckily the trees are so thick at this park that we stayed mostly dry until we got to the clearing for the parking lot--where we had to sprint to the car and still ended up soaked. My diva dog was not amused and spent the entire ride home rolling around on the backseat to dry off.

We're linking up with SlimDoggy, Peggy's Pet Place, and To Dog With Love for FitDog Friday. Hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July. Barley will probably be spending it in the bathroom while Soth and I curl up with a good beer and a good book.



12 comments:

  1. Love your pictures! The sky and water look really pretty! I've always found that the time right before a storm is my favorite. I hope there aren't too many fireworks to scare my Bar! Tell her Aunt L is coming for her soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she knows you're coming! She can't wait to snuggle with you!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on attaining your mileage goal. That's an aggressive goal and you did it! It was fun to hear you talk about Lake Erie - I'm from Syracuse! Hope you have a great 4th. Thanks for joining the Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We love Lake Erie! I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean, so Lake Erie's big enough that it kind of seems like we're walking by the ocean instead of a lake :)

      Delete
  3. Way to go on your goal! Happy 4th of July too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on reaching 500 miles, what an accomplishment! I really the photo you have of the sailboat our on the lake. The clouds and the water provide some great scenery in that shot. Have a safe Fourth that is relatively free of fireworks for Barley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That picture doesn't even do the sailboat justice! It was so pretty out there--even after we ended up getting rained on :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Y'all!

    Congrats on reaching 500! Good thing to stay ahead of schedule...up where y'all are is "tough sleddin'" anytime after October. My Humans' nephew got transferred up around the lakes and sent photos of his house half buried all winter long. His secretary told him to buy a snow blower shortly after they arrived last July. He did and, while we here in the the southeast were sweltering and wondering why he was buying a snow blower in July, it paid off!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow blowers are so handy! Luckily, our apartment does a pretty good job of clearing the parking lot and the pathways, so I just have to shovel out my car. It's definitely much smarter to buy the snow gear in the warmer months than waiting until they're in demand in winter! Hopefully this winter won't be as bad and we can continue getting normal walks in the rest of the year :)

      Delete
  6. Oh so I take it no swimming. :) Brown dawgs would have loved that water. Congrats in meeting your goal and Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley's not a swimmer! She'll stick her toes in and nip at the waves a few times, but she has no interested in going all the way in! The second park is the perfect dog swimming beach, though, because it's not one of the main beaches humans swim at, so there's lots of room and no worries about bothering other people.

      Delete