Monday, July 21, 2014

Sibling Bonding

Mischief is the middle name of both of my darlings, but the pets were in rare form this weekend.

Saturday was our first all-day rainy day in a while. We got a short walk in between the rain, but there was a steady drizzle most of the day. We probably could have gotten in a second walk, but I was on a roll with prepping materials for the online class I'm teaching in the Fall, so I decided it could be an easy day.

Hey, we haven't missed a day since May 20--and most days we'd met or exceeded our 3-mile goal--so it was okay to have a short 1.2-mile day, right? Wrong. 

I have created a monster.

Between the cooler temperatures and the lack of exercise, Barley was wound up! She bounced from the loveseat to the bed in the spare room to my bed back to the loveseat. She kept nosing at the lid to the trashcan--somehow she managed to pull out an empty cat food can. 

She beat me to cleaning out the litter box. She barked at every bird that dared to look for bugs in our yard. She pulled out toys from her bin and spread them all over the living room and the bedroom without actually playing with any of them.

I tried to work her out a bit inside. We tossed a toy around. We did 30-minutes of noseworks searches throughout the house. She had to work hard to find several of the hides! She still was not worn out. I sat on the floor with her and furminated her. That got her to be still temporarily, but it's not easy to type lecture notes while furminating. 

Of course, by the time I realized that a walk might be the only way to solve our problems, the steady drizzle was back.

Soth was not any better. He kept hopping up on my stack of New Yorkers that I've flagged articles in to read later and threatening to pee on them. He knocked cans of cat food off the counter and onto the floor. He climbed to the top of the bookshelf and tried to knock books onto the floor. He'd jump onto the back of the couch and the fly off and tear around the room.

Finally, at 12:30, I decided it was bedtime. Both pets hopped up onto the bed and curled up with each other. Usually, they give each other as much space as possible (and me as little space as possible!), but I guess in the spirit of mischief they decided to bond a little more.

It was the peace I had been hoping for all day. They were so cute snuggling that my earlier frustration disappeared, and I happily curled up with a book for a few minutes.


I was nervous when something outside let out a loud squeal and woke them both up. Normally, that type of noise sends Barley to the French doors and she wiggles her way behind the curtains to investigate. I couldn't handle the thought of getting her settled again.

Soth took matters into his own paws. He reached out a paw and put it on Barley's shoulder. She stared at the doors, but didn't get out of bed.


Then Barley leaned back into Soth a little bit. Normally, that's something that makes Soth hop off the bed, but he embraced it this time.

Are you sure everything will be ok, Soth? 
Eventually, Barley seemed to accept that everything was going to be just fine. She snuggled back in and I gave up on reading for a few minutes and turned off the lights before anything else ruined the peace.

Don't worry, Barley, we'll get through this together.
The darlings make me so happy when they act like they like each other that no matter how naughty they might be the rest of the time I can never be too cranky with them. Does cuteness get your pets out of trouble, too?






10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a miserable rainy weekend. Hope the weather clears up so you can get out and drain some of that Barley energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had warm sunny days ever since! She's much calmer when it's hot :)

      Delete
  2. It was a rainy weekend here in Toronto too! But sunshine now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the pets wouldn't have been so crazy, I would have enjoyed the rainy Saturday--I was really on a roll with working on lesson planning until they got into mischief! It's so much harder to be productive when it's beautiful and I want to play outside.

      Delete
  3. I find that indoor activity-wise, shaping new tricks tires Mr. N out the most. Not that he gets tired but he will usually settle afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely need to pick out a new trick to work on! Usually doing noseworks wears Bar out, but not this time!

      Delete
  4. Aw, they're so cute together! :) I'm glad your hectic day had a peaceful end. Niles tries to pull the cuteness card too but it doesn't usually work. It'll work on my folks, though! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily for me (unfortunately for Barley), Bar hasn't figured out the timing of the cuteness. She'll do something naughty so she gets a time out in her crate (never in an angry voice, and I don't even shut the door--I just say let's take a time out and she trots in). But she's pretty good at making sure I don't stay annoyed with her for long. Soth has the timing down a little bit better--but when he's getting ready to squat over my magazines, there's no amount of cuteness that will get him out of that trouble!

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness! Cuteness has gotten my four cats and three dogs out of trouble more times than I can count. And I especially love it when it's a combined dog and cat cuteness like in your pix.

    --Wags and purrs from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to be mad when they double team you with cuteness, isn't it? :)

      Delete