Thursday, August 28, 2014

Barley the Barnacle

I've always loved school--as a student and now as a professor. I love shopping for school supplies. I love packing my bag and repacking my bag over and over until I'm sure everything is in the most effective place. I love seeing the excitement of everyone as the classroom fills up. But I always forget one thing..

Going back to school is hard.

After a summer of living in "dog walking clothes" and not setting an alarm, it's hard to go to bed at a set time and set an alarm in the morning and have to put on heels. After spending a lot of time on my own or in small groups of friends, being in front of 20+ people and lecturing is exhausting. Having to figure out a schedule that doesn't involve waking up when I want, drinking coffee, walking the dog, and reading is a huge change from the life I've been living for the last 3 months.

I've had a terrible case of "back to school brain" this week! We got halfway to agility class on Tuesday and I realized I'd forgotten my wallet--no post-agility waffle fries for us this week!

I'm not the only one that's been struggling this week. Poor Barley seems to think that I've abandoned her.

Every time I sit down, Barley's on top of me. She has been stuck to me like glue.


It is hard to prep for class when your dog attaches herself to you.

Normally, if it's warm in the apartment, Barley sleeps under the bed. She was having none of that on Monday night. It was not the best sleep I've gotten, but doesn't she look peaceful?


Every time I walk into another room, I turn around to see her looking at me with the most concerned look on her face.


Soth, on the other hand, has adjusted well as long as I'm ready to refill his bowl as soon as I get home. He meets me at the door when I get home, gives a little meow, and then runs to his bowl. 


Hopefully Barley and I settle into our new routine as nicely as Soth has soon.


11 comments:

  1. Awww! We are getting used to our new routine here as well. Our human sisters are back off to school and it's very quiet here during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck getting used to your new routine! I bet it is quiet with your human sisters back at school!

      Delete
  2. I read your post, looked at the photos, and then looked at the title again. "Barley the Barnacle" - that's cute! I hope Barley and you settle into the new routine soon. At least Barley has Soth for company during the day. My golden retriever Savanna hangs out with my cat Chessie while I am gone at work. I think it helps them to have a buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--thanks! I was going to just title it Velcro Dog, but then pre-coffee creativity hit me :) I think Soth probably taunts Barley all day long--Bar stays in a crate so she doesn't get herself into trouble, so I imagine that Soth probably flaunts his freedom, but it is nice knowing they aren't alone!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, is this her first time with you going back to classes? Have you tried fixing her a Kong or giving her something to occupy her time? Sampson always got a Kong when I left for the day, and he never really seemed to be bothered by it. I hope she gets into a routine quickly, for both your sakes.

    Thanks for joining the blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no--I had to go back to school a week after I adopted her 3.5 years ago, so she's been through this before. She just gets very set in her routines--luckily with teaching one online class this semester, I'll be gone even less than usual. She's actually crated when I'm gone or else she gets into things (sugar-free gum, aleeve, butter . . .) and she's excellent about going in with a couple treats and a couple toys; she's just a little bit clingy when I get home! After a week or two, she'll be back to usual, but we've both gotten pretty used to our summer routine since it started the first week of May!

      Delete
  4. I think it is always difficult getting back into a routine. It is the same for people or pets. I know ours are very routine driven. :)

    Thanks so much for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley is very routine driven, too! If I'm going to be gone during her dinner time and won't be back until late, I have to split her dinner into two half meals; otherwise when I get home, she's convinced that dinner time has come and gone and she missed it! Then she'll spend the rest of the night running back and forth to her bowl. So, once she figures out the new routine, she'll settle down. I can't blame her--I've been struggling not to hit snooze a few extra times and fighting the urge for long afternoon naps every day this week!

      Delete
  5. Aw, so sweet. Hopefully things will fall back into a routine soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is pretty sweet--even if she makes it a little difficult to accomplish anything when she's glued to my side!

      Delete
  6. Poor pets! It IS hard getting back into a routine! I miss summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete