Friday, September 5, 2014

Back to School Routines

Last week, I mentioned that we were struggling to get into a back to school routine. After two weeks back at school, we are settling into the routine.

I've been missing our two walks a day, but we've been making the most of the walks that we are getting. Since I get home in the middle of the afternoon, we don't always get to do a walk immediately when I get home because it's just a little too warm.

Occasionally, we've been getting in a quick neighborhood walk as soon as I get home and Barley's made some new friends.


There's a house in our neighborhood with many, many kittens. Although this stresses me out (I counted 14 cats/kittens in the yard one day!), it's no secret that I've had kitten fever this summer, so I've been enjoying watching the kittens. There are three brave little ones that I refer to as Barley's kittens. Most of the kittens run when they see us walking down the sidewalk, but these three stay put and Barley loves them. She wags her tail and leans down to sniff them and prances from one to the next. It's adorable. 

We finally had a nice evening after agility class and we got to visit Barley's deer friends after school.
Hello, young prince!

Barley loved watching the little spotted fawns play.

These two little fawns were very entertaining for us.

I did feel a little guilty when I realized that I had been giving Barley venison lung puffs as rewards for sitting calmly for her pictures.

We've also worked in several walks at the State Park since last Friday. Now that everyone's back at school, the park is relatively empty--which is the way we like it! Since there were few people, we got to stroll along the marina and enjoy the boats.






We've done pretty well with keeping up with our mileage goals. Yesterday was a little warm, so we had a shorter walk, but the other days we exceeded our goals. We logged 24.41 miles last week.

Soth has been spending the week playing with boxes and ribbons. He seems to have taken on the clinginess this week. 



It's hard to read and take notes when someone insists on holding your hand.
I'm not complaining, though. Soth wants to snuggle so rarely that when he's interested in playing and cuddling, I just enjoy the moment.

Hope everyone else has had enjoyable time staying fit with your pets, too!


16 comments:

  1. My kitty has been snugly too. That hot kitty body on my lap has been a bit much...lol. Looks like you are having some nice hikes. Brown dawgs would probably want to chase the fawns. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the hot kitty body thing! That blanket he's on is a down blanket that I wanted to put away months ago, but Soth loves it so much that it's stayed on a corner of the bed! I wouldn't blame the brown dawgs for wanting to chase the fawns--they were full of energy and hopping around everywhere!

      Delete
  2. We love looking at deer too! Great pictures. :-)

    dzdogadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The park we go to after agility class always has a ton of deer and when it's a little cooler and there are fewer people, they'll stand just a few feet off the trail even when they see Barley coming. It's such a neat place to walk!

      Delete
  3. What wonderful pictures of the deer! Great job on the completing that many miles this week also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The deer were far enough off the trail that I regretted not having my real camera with me, but I got a couple decent ones on my phone :)

      Delete
  4. I don't know if I would trust Mr. N around deer! I think I've fed him rabbit treats around a rabbit before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken lots of work to get Barley to sit nicely for her pictures with deer :) She used to just sit in the middle of the trail and bark like a fool (which, of course, scared the deer away, so when people caught up to us on the trail they probably thought I just had a psycho dog!)--we had plenty of "blooper" pictures where she was looking over her shoulder at the deer or getting up to come try to get a treat, so we got lucky to have one where she's smiling :)

      Delete
  5. Aw, sweet Soth! <3 I enjoyed your walk pictures. 24 miles in a week is awesome! Do you use the Fitbit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When he wants to be, Soth is the sweetest boy! I use a Garmin GPS watch--my sister got one for her running and I loved that it uploaded a map of your walks and that you could set goals for yourself; I hadn't heard of the Fitbit yet when I got our watch, but it sounds like they are awesome little gadgets! Do you use one?

      Delete
  6. Your tan line is going away! I love the pictures, especially of Bar with the boats. Also, I lol'd about the venison treat part haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tan in general is going away :( If sweater weather doesn't get here soon, I'll be looking like a vampire again in my shorts and t-shirts! I felt kind bad that I was feeding Barley the very thing I was so content to stop and watch!

      Delete
  7. 24 miles is great...you are making great progress. And Barley looks so happy in every picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the mileage once school was back in session, but so far so good! Barley definitely loves being out on the trail--I love that she always looks like she's smiling in pictures!

      Delete
  8. That's impressive that Barley sat patiently with the fawns so close. I think Rocco would have lost his mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm far more worried about Barley with the kittens since she likes to try to play rough with her brother cat!

      Delete