Friday, September 12, 2014

Hello, Fall.

Fall is trying to make up its mind about whether it's here to stay or not. We had a couple days in the high 70s/low 80s this week, but we've also had several dreary days in the 60s and it was down to 57 degrees and drizzling by the time I got home from work yesterday. 

Conveniently, I was dying for a nap and a cold drizzle gave me a good excuse for curling up with the pets and not feeling guilty for not taking advantage of getting home before 1:00 and having lots of time for an afternoon walk. Barley hates the rain, so she was more than happy to get toweled off after going out to potty and then hopping into bed.


This week was kind of disappointing in terms of our mileage. We only logged 20.46 miles since last Friday. There were a few reasons we didn't quite meet our 3 miles/day goal. 

We got off to a good start, but on Tuesday we only had time for a short walk before agility class because I had to stay at work a little later for a meeting, but I wasn't concerned since we usually get a couple miles in after class. This week, though, there were only three of us in class instead of our usual 5 dogs, so we got a lot of work in. Barley was worn out for the first time maybe ever, so I decided we should just go home instead of getting a walk in. I didn't want to overwork her.

On Wednesday, by the time I got home, the sky was grey and getting darker by the minute. As I've mentioned, Barley hates thunderstorms, so if there's a high chance of storms we try not to leave house. My phone said storms weren't expected for another hour or so, so I wanted to make sure we at least got a short walk in. We stuck close to home and only got about 1.5 miles in; shortly after we got home, the skies opened up. 

After two days of short walks, it was hard to find the motivation to walk yesterday. I knew that it wasn't supposed to keep raining all day, but it was still just dreary. I was afraid that I'd be tempted to cut our walk short again if we stuck to our neighborhood, so we got in the car and headed to the lake, which is always beautiful in it's greyness.





We got in 3.75 miles despite the blustery afternoon. It was nice to have the park pretty much to ourselves--with the exception of a few runners, we didn't see other people and there were no other dogs to worry about, so we got to have a nice relaxed walk where Barley could venture to the end of her leash and sniff around as much as she wanted. Unfortunately, the cooler weather energizes Barley, which I always forget after the summer wears her out, and she tends to get more energy the more cool, fresh air she gets. She spent the rest of the night bouncing off the walls!

Soth has also gotten in some fitness fun this week. The cooler weather seems to give him a little more energy, too, so he's been happily rolling around with his toys and tearing around the house and then diving into a paper bag. He wants to be sure he keeps his figure so that he can fit in his new shoe box.




Last night, he really got a workout as he engaged in a little moth-ercise. When I took Barley out for one last potty break, a moth flew inside. It was in Soth's sights in no time. It landed on our mirror and Soth was mesmerized by it.


Then I caught him in mid-yawn and got this delightful shot. 
There were lots of stretches as he reached for the moth, but, of course, Barley saw her brother doing something, so she had to join in on the fun--which made Soth run for cover and the moth flew away. I lost sight of it, but Soth didn't. He hopped on the dresser and off the dresser and back on the dresser. He stretched out as far as he could to reach for it when it landed high up on the wall. 




He was all pulled back and ready to pounce and his fur was poofed out so he looked big and intimidating.
The moth was not caught while I was still awake, but I woke up a few times to the sounds of Soth romping around the apartment, so I don't think he gave up on his hunt.

We have gotten a late start on our Friday adventures--it is another cool, grey day, so I decided to have a lazy start and make some pancakes for breakfast while the temperatures rose a little higher. It's only 58 degrees still, but we're going to head out to enjoy some fall air shortly--and maybe pick up a pumpkin spice latte since I don't think I've ever actually tried one!



18 comments:

  1. The thought of a dreary wet walk is never real appealing, but we still do our regular routine. The best way Mom handles it is to mentally prepare herself when she hears the forecast. Get some rain shoes, rain pants, and a rain jacket and head out. Stomp in the puddles with Barley, just enjoy, and in no time walking in ugly weather will turn into fun, but Mom has to be ready for it. A surprise rain is never fun but that doesn't happen too often. Thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got a really good mom! It sounds like she makes walking in all types of weather fun. In the winter, I'm good at mentally preparing myself for snowy walks, but rain is harder. Barley hates rain and won't go outside if it's already raining. Sometimes, I have to carry her outside (which is not easy with 55 lbs. of squirmy pup!) because she hasn't gone out to potty in over 12 hours. If it starts rainy when we're already out, I usually take her home as quickly as possible because it's clear she's miserable! Luckily, we've got all kinds of fun agility exercises and noseworks and other brain games to play inside when it's gross out!

      Delete
  2. It's tough to keep the mileage up when the weather keeps you down. Glad the cats got their workout in ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Once we got out to the lake, the grey skies became beautiful instead of dreary, but getting out the door was a struggle!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you are getting lots of miles in to us sometimes you can't control everything. The cat seems to be getting lots of exercise too! Love Dolly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the kitty definitely has been on the go this week! I didn't feel too bad about not meeting our goals since we've exceeded them for the last several weeks, so it balances out :)

      Delete
  4. Great photos! Keep up those workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the lake when the water's steely looking and the clouds are all different shades of grey.

      Delete
  5. Looks like the same weather we're having here in Oregon. :-)
    Our pups do not like walking in the rain so they'll be pretty sad when the weather does decide to turn.

    ~DZ Dogs
    http://dzdogadventures.blogspot.com/2014/09/beauty-all-around-us.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley doesn't like walking in the rain, either! We try to get out for at least a quick loop around the block between showers, but it doesn't always happen.

      Delete
  6. If I didn't walk Mr. N in the rain, he'd almost never get walked. The nice thing about walking in the rain though is that all the "fair weather" walkers disappear. I don't know what they do the rest of the year though (summer is the only non-rainy season in Portland).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Barley and I will not add Portland to our list of places we want to live (but we'd still love to visit it someday)! She puts the brakes on as soon as it starts raining. When I adopted her, she had a terrible yeast infection in her ear that the vet said was probably because she got water in her ear during a storm and couldn't get it out--so I think she must have had some bad times out in the rain before being brought into the shelter, so I don't mind letting her know that she has a safe, warm, dry place to stay and forfeiting a few walks now and then. But, if we had to deal with rain most of the year, we probably wouldn't both survive--she certainly gets cabin fever quickly! It is nice not having to share trails and sidewalks with other people, though--we have the same experience when the snow comes! I don't think we saw a single person on our neighborhood walks between January and April!

      Delete
    2. Well to be fair, it hardly ever pours. We get a mist most of the time. It just looks like it's going to rain all the time!

      Delete
  7. Ahhh PSL I hope you liked it! It's ok to have a short week sometimes. You had an awesome week last week! Love the pics as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like it! It won't ever be my go-to drink, but it was a nice pick-me-up on a dreary fall day! I figured she deserved a little rest after working so hard in agility on Tuesday night, too.

      Delete
  8. It's not easy keeping up with walks when the weather is yucky. It rained all day yesterday so we had to resort to tug and some nose games. Moth-ercise is one of Laika's favorite activities LOL, apparently they're a lot of fun to hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We like the cooler weather, but not rain. I find it hard to get motivated when it is raining. The show yesterday was rainy, cold and windy. Unpleasant. I guess no pleasing me...lol. You have some pretty places to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We haven't started the rainy season here yet, but I know it's coming. Keeping up the miles can be challenging in the winter, but I certainly know how much a border collie needs that exercise!!

    ReplyDelete