Monday, September 29, 2014

Scavenger

I spent all day Friday shopping for a kitchen trashcan--and that is not an exaggeration. I spent longer trying to find the right one than I spend at work on a normal day.

It was time to get a new trashcan. The one I had was the one I got for my first apartment 7 years ago. It was white plastic and it was grungy. There were spots on it that no Clorox Wipes or Magic Erasers could make a dent in.

But who actually wants to spend money on a trashcan?

It was still functional, so I could think of 1000 other things I'd rather spend money on than a new trashcan.

Then Hurricane Barley hit. This dog of mine is stealthy. I never caught her in the act of getting into the trashcan, but several times I caught her with paper towels I had thrown away. One day, I got out of the shower and she had two empty cat food cans that she'd licked clean and stashed in the spare bedroom. I was certain she was going to cut her tongue off.

For a while, she was only getting into the trashcan when I was in the shower. Then all of the sudden she started focusing on the trashcan all the time--I'd sit down on the couch to grade and she'd go get a drink of water and then take something out of the trashcan.

I'm not even sure how she did it. The trashcan is taller than Barley, yet somehow she could get things out of it when there were only a few things in the bottom--and never make a noise and never tip it over.

So, I had very specific needs for the new trashcan. I needed one that had a lid that didn't have a lip hanging over the bottom of the can because otherwise, she'd be able to stick her nose under there and shove the lid up. It couldn't have a lid that was not connected to the bottom in some way--my parents have one that has a lid that opens but also lifts off and Barley has been known to nose the whole lid off the trashcan when we visit and something tasty's been thrown away. I needed a lid that was flush with the bottom and connected to the bottom. I didn't think it would turn into such an ordeal.

I started at Wal-Mart since it was on the way into town with all of the different stores and I figured it might have the cheapest options. I found one that wasn't quite what I was looking for but had potential--I decided to keep looking and come back on the way home if I didn't find a better option. Strike 1. 

Then I went to Target. The only had a few like the one I had and one stainless steel one that had a huge dent in the side. Strike 2.

I went to another Wal-Mart a few blocks down from Target to get the first one I found so I could avoid going back into the same store twice in one day. The first red flag was a run away cart (with no people anywhere in sight) that charged at my car and forced me to back up down the lane in the parking lot! They didn't have the original trashcan they wanted and the next closest thing had a tiny handle on the lid that would be perfect for nosing the lid open. Strike 3.

I decided to try a few more stores. At Home Goods, I found one that was slightly smaller than what I wanted (the first Wal-Mart one was 10 gallons, the one I wanted to replace was 13, and the one at Home Goods was 8), but otherwise it was exactly right--and only $30. Then I looked at Bed Bath & Beyond--they had what I was looking for but they were $100 and I was not willing to spend that much on something that would just hold trash! I needed to go to Lowe's to get a curtain rod for the new thermal curtains my parents are helping me hang out when they visit next week, so I checked there--more $100 trashcans.

I decided I wasn't going to find a better choice than the Home Goods trashcan and went back to get it. It looks much, much nicer than my old one did and so far Barley hasn't even tried to get into it. Hopefully preserving my sanity will cancel out the fact that I'm going to have to take the trash out more frequently now that I have a smaller trashcan!

Barley says I might have made things more difficult, but she's not accepting defeat yet.
Are your pets scavengers? How do you stop unwanted mischief when you can't actually catch your pets in the act?


9 comments:

  1. Finding a good trash can is a lot harder and more expensive than it should be. I was really disappointed when Theo figured out the foot pedal on my trash can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping Barley never catches on to that method of opening them! I found one that had a sensor and when your hand got within 6 inches of the top it would open--for half a minute I thought that was an awesome idea and then I realized that the first time Barley accidentally walked by and opened it, things would go downhill quickly!

      Delete
  2. Mr. N is good about leaving the trash alone but we had a foster dog would totally counter surf if he could reach. Instead, he was always under the butcher block looking for crumbs.
    Baby gate the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley is usually pretty good about not counter surfing--but she has her moments! I think most baby gates are about the height Barley jumps in agility but otherwise that would be a great idea! I am really missing the kitchen I had in my pre-Barley apartment that had doors ;)

      Delete
  3. Hahaha! I know this battle well! After years of dogs that ignored the trash, Hurricane Cairo entered my life. I now have a locking trash can. :-) Let us know how long it takes for Barley to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A locking trashcan is brilliant! I jokingly said I should get one of those--and if I had seen one on my shopping adventures, I might have splurged for that one!

      Delete
  4. A trash can isn't exactly the most fun thing to shop for...but yours looks pretty darn sleek! :) Here's hoping Barley doesn't figure out the foot pedal! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely looks much better in my kitchen than my ugly old one did, but I would have rather spent money on new shoes or a book or something! The old one had a pedal that she never attempted, but I'm hoping that she doesn't figure it out out of "necessity" since her old method doesn't work anymore!

      Delete
  5. Our trash can is inside one of those pull-out cabinet things, so I have never dug through it. I sure wish I could, though! Such great-smelling stuff goes in there!

    ReplyDelete