Friday, September 19, 2014

Barley and the Mysterious Case of the Rumbling Tummy

We're a little later than usual for FitDog Friday today because a certain pup made me worried this morning when she woke me up with a rumbling tummy for the second Friday in a row (why does this only happen on the day I don't have to set an alarm?).

Usually, Fridays are my day for sleeping in. I always have to do some work--but usually I enjoy waking up on my own time and enjoying coffee leisurely before walking Barley dog. Since the only work I have to do on Fridays is grading, I can start that at any point in the day. I'm not a morning person and usually the pets will let me sleep in until 8:30 or so before Soth starts crying for his breakfast.

Today, though, around 7 Barley woke me up. I ignored her. She got out of bed and went to her bed. Then around 7:30 she came over and nudged me again. I noticed that her tummy was making some strange noises--which also happened last Friday--so I got up and took her outside. She refused to get off the patio and insisted on standing at the very edge and eating grass.

I gave up and took her back inside. She ran to her bowl, so I figured if she was ready for breakfast she must be ok. After all, she'd done the same thing last Friday and we'd gone on to have a nice walk at the arboretum later in the afternoon.

She was more than happy to show off her balancing skills last week.
So, I got the coffee started and scooped her food in her dish--she took one kibble out and raced to the spare bedroom with it--which is something she usually only does if she's going to vomit. I dumped the rest of her food back in the bin and opened a can of sensitive stomach formula wet food instead, which she gobbled down.

We snuggled back up in bed with coffee and a book that I'd started last night. If anyone needs a really cheesy romance novel with dogs in it, The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service by Beth Kendrick is your book! I normally stay far, far away from chick lit, but there's something about chick lit with a dog in the story that sucks me in every time. To make an already long story short, we snuggled all morning until I finished the book!

Barley was content to snuggle with her vest-wearing hedgehog while I read.

Barley's tummy was no longer rumbling and I had a package I needed to drop off at the post office, so I figured I'd take Barley along and we could take a lunchtime walk at the lake afterwards.

Other than being highly offended by a boat speeding by, she was perfectly normal on our walk.
She was rarin' to go and seemed fine on our walk--I tried to walk more slowly than usual so she would take it easy, but she kept charging ahead until I went back to our usual pace. It was a beautiful day to be at the lake--the sky and water were so many different shades of blue that it almost didn't look real! The pictures don't do the colors justice at all!



Since Barley wouldn't slow down to a nice leisurely pace, I cut our walk short and we're going to spend the next few hours relaxing and grading before I decide if we'll take another little evening stroll. It's nice to know we're ahead of schedule with our goal, so I don't have to worry if Barley needs to take the rest of the day off (except for the worry that comes with being a hypochondriac dog parent).

This week we were back on track with meeting or exceeding our 3-mile goal each day and logged 24.41 miles, which put us at 781.39 miles for the year so far. 1000 is getting closer every day!



We were excited to get to enjoy a few more flowers at the arboretum before the cold weather starts rolling in.

We're wishing everyone a happy FitDog Friday!




14 comments:

  1. Mr. N picks the day before or the day of classes to get sick lol. Hope Barley is OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She gave me a little scare on Tuesday before agility by acting weird on our pre-class walk! She seems ok tonight--she was super excited about dinner and we got out for a little stroll around the block this evening, but she hasn't be quite as mischievous as usual, so I'll be keeping a close eye on her this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Glad Barley is doing okay. Might just be something in her food she doesn't like...check the ingredients and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She tends to like to sneak samples of the cat food when she thinks I'm not looking and the cat has been eating different wet food, so it's possible that didn't agree with her. I was afraid she might have picked up a worm of some sort from eating out of the litter box because that's happened before, but she seems 100% normal today.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Barley's tummy is feeling better! Tummy issues suck! Thanks for the book recommendation! I will have to check it out! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a silly book, but it was a fun, quick read! Tummy issues do suck! There's always that waiting period after hearing that rumble to see if I need to pull out the steam cleaner or not! Luckily, this time it seems to have been a false alarm.

      Delete
  4. In my eight years, I've only gotten sick one time, but my sister Katie gets tummy trouble quite a bit and has her entire life. Mom says she only gets sick when she doesn't have time for it, only during the middle of the night, and only in many spots on the carpeted areas. Finally Mom bought a good carpet cleaner from Bissell, so it helps but still, it is a real mess. Glad Barley didn't get sick and is alright again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a healthy dog you are! (I've had to buy a carpet cleaner, too, but it was because of the cat and not Barley!) Barley's biggest health problems have been because she has eaten things she shouldn't when I've turned my back for 2 seconds! So, it's possible she snuck some sort of snack--normally, she's excellent about not picking things up on our walks, but she picked up something white and crumbly (a cookie? a biscuit?) on a walk the other day and it was gone before I could pull it out. Today, she's back to normal. She played a rousing game of chase with the cat while they waited on their breakfast, so hopefully we won't need to call the vet on Monday :)

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear Barley's feeling better! Rocco likes to eat everything he can find too and we even had to make an emergency vet visit while in Chicago last year. I think he also likely sucked down something delicious on one of our walks before I could pull it out of his mouth. He's thankfully getting better at leaving stuff… at least when I can spot it in time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be so sneaky sometimes! Today, she walked over a powdered donut and some spilled tortilla chips without a second glance at them. I guess whatever she got the other night must have been extra special since she couldn't resist :)

      Delete
  6. So glad that Barley's tummy troubles didn't persist, and you were still able to get a nice walk in. Our beagle Kobi used to have me up many nights with an upset tummy (it would pass after one night though), and then all of the sudden it stopped completely. I'm not sure if we switched food in there or what changed things, I'm just glad it did change (for his sake and mine).
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you eventually got to sleep through the night! As miserable as tummy troubles are for the pets, I think they're equally miserable for the pet parents!

      Delete
  7. Glad to know Barley started feeling better. Looks like you were able to get a great walk in despite the morning worries. It's stressful for both the dog and dog parent when stomach issues arise. Hope you're still doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pictures of Bar just make me smile. Glad my baby girl is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete