Friday, October 31, 2014

Rest Week and October Resolution Recap (Plus a little Spooky Fun!)

I'll start with the bad news first. We didn't meet our 3-mile/day goal this week and only logged 18.98 miles. I was dealing with a foot injury for most of the week--I'm not entirely sure what happened since I've been wearing my usual shoes, walking my usual routes, and haven't done anything particularly strenuous, but as I learned over the summer, if you walk on a hurt foot, then it throws off the rest of your body and everything else starts hurting. I decided it was better to take it easy and give my foot a little more rest. After a few days of ice and elevation and some Advil, it still hurts, but I can tell it's on the mend.

She's very concerned when we have to rest--that word isn't in her regular vocabulary.

Now for the good news! Despite having a week of lower mileage, this week Barley and I passed the 900-mile mark for our goal! We're now at 908.46--so we have over 2 months to walk about 92 miles! That's about 1.5-miles per day, which has become a short walk for us. The end is in sight! Stay tuned in December for our final FitDog Friday of the year when we reveal our total mileage for the year and a little surprise Barley and I are working on to thank all of you for your support this year!

All month, we've had adventures in our neighborhood since our neighbors go all out for Halloween. Every time we've left the house, we've seen new additions to our neighborhood--and Barley border collie stares almost all of them the first time we walk by. In the spirit of Halloween, I thought we should share some of these pictures.



She had to crouch to walk by the zombie head beside the sidewalk.

She's on high alert because we had to walk by . . .

. . . this nasty thing. Barley wanted to take a sip out of that saucer--I intervened.

The most decorating I did was carving a pumpkin with two of my friends from work. Barley enjoyed pumpkin night because she got to play with her one and only dog friend, my co-worker's border collie-aussie mix, and she got to come and steal some pumpkin guts while we were carving away.

Mine is the wolf--it isn't as fun as I thought it would be.

And I had an unintentional creepy addition to my front porch--I found this creepy (and huge!) thing on a package the mailman had left on my front porch yesterday.

EEK!

Our beautiful leaves are slowly disappearing, but we did manage one quick visit to the Arboretum last weekend to get just a little more time in with the beautiful colors. My phone had a little snowflake icon on the weather app for this weekend, so I'm pretty sure on our next visit the Arboretum will look like a totally different universe.






We hope everyone has a happy and safe Halloween! Trick-or-treating happened in our neighborhood on Sunday last weekend (is it just me or is that weird?), so we'll be celebrating by watching the Halloween episode of Garfield and Friends (while I eat some candy, candy candy!).


12 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween! Hope your foot is better soon. Mom is one to just keep running on injured stuff, usually it eventually gets better, but probably not the best way to handle injuries! Even though your goal seems easy to reach at this point, don't let it slip! Thanks for joining the hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually pretty stubborn about resting, too, but last time it ended up so bad that I couldn't put any weight on it at all for 2 days, so I figured it was better to avoid that again--and I guess I didn't really "rest" all that much after all since we were only 2 miles below our goal! I'm pretty sure we'll more than meet our goal since I've only got 5 more weeks left in the semester and then I'll have the rest of the year off to just hang out with my favorite pup :)

      Delete
  2. Yikes, that's one scary spider! Happy Halloween Barley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Halloween to you, too! It was a pretty creepy spider--but not too creepy to keep me from sticking the phone right down by it to take a picture :)

      Delete
  3. Yikes on the spider. It is weird that places are changing the days for Halloween. I have heard of other places doing that. I hope your foot feels better. Probably should rest it. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping that after this weekend of propping it up while I grade papers, it will be all back to normal!

      Delete
  4. Barley is so cute!! I hope your foot feels better soon and I love your Halloween pictures!! That spider is kind of neat, creepy but neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's how I felt about the spider, too! I was very glad I noticed it before I actually grabbed the box, though! It might not have been quite as neat if it had jumped onto me!

      Delete
  5. Happy Halloween! Hope your foot heals fast. Your neighborhood really does go all out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Halloween to you and Mr. N, too! Our neighborhood gets weirder by the day this time of year--but it's always a fun adventure to see what Barley's reactions to severed heads and coffins will be :)

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed with your pumpkin carving--your wolf is awesome! Here's hoping your foot heals quickly, but I suspect you won't let it get you down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was proud of my wolf until my cousin and his toddlers posted a picture of a wolf they carved that was REALLY good--then mine didn't seem so cool anymore.

      Delete