Friday, November 7, 2014

Daylight Savings Time, Bandages, and the Plague--oh my!

We've had another slow week of walking. With it getting dark so early this week, we've had a tough time figuring out how to fit in our 3 miles after work, so that's contributed to our slow week. I'm sure we'll figure out how to fit the miles in after we've had a few days to adjust.

I've also become a temporary nurse--one of my co-workers rescued a dog that got hit by a car and needs daily water therapy and bandage changing. Since I'm the campus crazy dog lady and the one who lives closest to him, I've been recruited to help with this process. It really only takes 30 minutes to take care of the dog and I know the struggles of being a single pet parent well, so I'm happy to help out, but it's also been a new addition to my schedule at a time when I've already got papers coming in from all 5 of my classes and very few weeks left in the semester to get them graded and returned.

In addition to giving me a lot of papers, my students have also given me the plague--ok, not really, but they have shared some sort of germs with me. I've been sniffly and headachy, so I've opted to do short walks a few days since we've had several cold, wet days and I don't want to get worse. After a long nap yesterday, I am finally starting to feel more like myself, so I think that was a smart decision.

Even though we didn't get in three miles a day, we got at least the 1.5 miles we need to reach our goal + a little extra and got 18.16 miles in this week.

The lower-than-usual-mileage has lead to a silly Barley dog in the evenings. She's taken a liking to Sothlice's catnip spider toy. She picks it up, tosses it in the air, nibbles at it. Since she insisted on playing with her brother's toy, I insisted that we do a quick photoshoot with it.


Eek! A spider!

We're bracing ourselves for another cold, wet weekend, but I'm hoping that motivates me to really sit down and be productive with grading so that I can enjoy having the day off on Tuesday for Veteran's Day.

We aren't ready for this!

In other walking news, my Merrell shoes I got this spring have been retired. There are several spots where the sole is almost totally worn away. They went through a lot with us this year and covered ground in 4 different states. RIP friends.




14 comments:

  1. Always a sign of accomplishment when you retire a pair of shoes, at least that's how I look at it. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Today was the first day in a week I haven't woken up with a headache--still a little sniffly, but I'm taking this as a sign of improvement! I always look at retiring shoes as a good excuse for buying new cuter ones ;)

      Delete
  2. Shoes are so important. Mom has to get new running shoes and new walking shoes about every six months. Glad you retired those. You don't want to develop foot issues from shoes that are worn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These wear out pretty quickly because they're barefoot trail shoes, so essentially they're like thick socks with a sole and they don't have any arch support or anything--they just give me protection from glass and rocks and things. I probably could have kept wearing them without any major issues, but since the tread is gone in several places they've gotten a little slippery on wet roads and mud! And retiring them gave me a good excuse to get similar ones that are a little warmer for these colder days :)

      Delete
  3. Barley is so cute! I am sorry that your students got you sick!! I hope you and the poor pup that got him by a car feel better soon! ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pup is feeling better--luckily, she doesn't have any broken bones, just pretty bruised and scraped up. And she lived as an outside dog her whole life, so she's not super happy about being cooped up inside and put in the tub every day, so it requires an extra set of hands to keep her in there for the process! Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  4. Mr. N gets "twitchy" when he has had shorter walks too! Hope the dog gets better soon. And you too! Mr. N only lets me skip walks when I've had surgery (wisdom teeth). Anything less and he insists we go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley and Mr. N might have been separated at birth! She hasn't let me skip any, either! The only way she lets me out of them is if it's raining, but even then she requires some sort of fun and exciting indoor activity from me. This week she's been letting me rest, but then she comes over and nudges me until I get up when she decides it's time to walk.

      Delete
  5. Looks like it's time to go shoe shopping!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there, done that. I couldn't let those birthday rewards from DSW expire!

      Delete
  6. Barley with the spider toy is so cute! We just retired a pair of shoes too. It's always a good feeling, and even better feeling to get new ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had me laughing with that spider! I do enjoy getting new shoes, but I really liked this last pair!

      Delete
  7. Good for you for getting out to walk even though you were not feeling your best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley is not the most patient nurse--she'll let me rest for a little while, but eventually she starts nudging me or crawling on top of me until the most comfortable thing is to get up and walk ;)

      Delete