Friday, November 21, 2014

Setting New Goals

Before I talk about our weather affecting our goals, I just want to say that if you or your loved ones live in the Buffalo area I hope that you (they) are warm and safe. After seeing pictures of the storm earlier in the week, I will never complain about snow again! I can't imagine how scary that situation must be. Barley and I are sending everyone affected by the snow love and warm wishes.

We've been dealing with our own unpleasant winter weather, so it's time to reevaluate our goals. I knew that there would come a day when we wouldn't be able to continue walking 3 miles every day--after all, we started off not being able to walk more than half a mile at a time in January and February--but I didn't expect that day to come before Thanksgiving.

Then on Tuesday, I woke up to a snow day phone call. There wasn't much snow on the ground at our place, but apparently campus was basically in a not-so-magical snow globe where there was very little visibility. I wasn't going to complain--it was bitter cold, so being able to stay home was fine with me!

Feels like 3 degrees!

It was too cold for a long walk. We tried to start a walk, knowing we wouldn't get far, but I thought we could make it to the end of the street and back. We made it .21 miles and my face was freezing, so I knew Barley's feet must be chilly and we turned back around.

Barley's not the type of dog to tolerate booties. We've never tried Musher's Secret because she tolerates me messing with her paws, but not long enough to apply it effectively to each one. So, we just have to keep our walks short and sweet and most importantly safe.


Yesterday, our streets were finally clear and relatively dry long enough to get in over a mile. It was still ridiculously cold, but since we had options that would at last keep Barley's feet out of the snow, we were still able to get in a good walk.


Barley thought we should really be playing on the playground.

We didn't come anywhere close to meeting the 21-mile weekly goal this week, only logging 14.31 miles. Keep my pup safe is far more important than any other goal, so it's time to reevaluate our goals. We are at 963.95 miles for the year, which means we only have 36.05 miles left or .9 miles a day. While I'm still going to shoot for 3 miles a day as often as possible, we'll consider our weeks a success as long as we hit the .9-mile mark each day. (And don't worry--we'll be heading south for the holidays, so even the cold weather there is still tolerable walking weather for us--I'm not anticipating any problems!)

So very close to 1000!

We've also been taking advantage of the extra indoor time to play with Barley's new BarkBox items and even do a little bit of noseworks practice inside.

Despite this weird face, Barley really loved her little chef hedgehog from BarkBox.

Soth has also convinced us to spend a little more time snuggling, so he's happy, too!






13 comments:

  1. Freighter had a hedgehog toy when he was a pup. He loved it so much that eventually he killed it! lol Glad you at least got in some walks. I hate all the salt they put on the roads around here, but then I am also not good walking on ice. Winter is hard for me to get out and walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me, too! Our neighbors also don't shovel sidewalks, so we have to either slide all over the sidewalk or walk in the road, which sometimes is salty and sometimes is slushy and gross. Barley doesn't care--she usually picks the snow over even a clean, dry road--but I am not very good at hiding how miserable I am :)

      Delete
  2. It's tough to keep to those goals sometimes when the weather doesn't cooperate - but it sounds like you're going to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're still shooting for a walk a day--even if that walk isn't very long--but we're definitely looking forward to escaping and getting normal walks in over the holidays!

      Delete
  3. Setting goals is the perfect motivation, don't let the weather get you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley has so much fun in the snow that it's impossible to be depressed by the weather for long! But it is tough having to readjust our routine.

      Delete
  4. You do need goals. We walk in all weather, rain, snow, +80 or -20, if it is more than -10 we cut the walks short, but we still do our 1+hour walks in the cold. If you start with it, you adjust and it is actually a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We walk every day in the snow, too--Barley loves it too much to not let her go out and sniff around in it, but if the windchill makes it feel like it's below 0, I won't keep Barley out for longer than 10 minutes at a time. Since she won't let me protect her feet, I'm not going to risk her getting frostbite by walking in the snow longer than that. On those days, we try to go out for a quick walk to the end of the street several times a day, but if she starts hopping before we make it there, we turn around immediately.

      Delete
  5. Mr. N has been getting slightly less exercise now that it's getting colder. It's not even so much the cold, it's the combination of cold + wet that makes him shiver. I'm pretty sure some people think I'm abusing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been having to work in more brain exercise instead of physical exercise this week! But I think temperatures in the 40s are coming back soon if the Weather Channel isn't lying to me! I always worry that our neighbors think I'm abusing Barley when I have her out in these bitter temperatures--little do they know that I'm the one who would rather stay in snuggled up under a blanket! Hope you and Mr. N are staying warm and dry!

      Delete
  6. Yuck. I'm glad we don't have any of that yet! I have complete faith that you will reach 1000 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you're still doing great! Sometimes shorter walks are just easier.....putting on booties, coats, etc. can be a lot more work. That's one of the worst thing about winter walks for me, is all the work it takes to get all bundled up (me as much as the dogs) before you can even head out!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete