Friday, November 14, 2014

Twilight Zone: The Weather Episode

While I was gushing over my love of fall a few weeks ago, I mentioned that I hadn't really experienced seasons growing up. It was hot or it was not hot (but not cold, either).

On Tuesday, we had the most beautiful, sunny, warmish day. I also had the day off of work for Veteran's Day (a big thank you to all of our service men and women, including both of my grandpas!), so we got to thoroughly enjoy two nice warm walks before our agility class and logged a total of 5 miles for the day.

Our Garmin watch said this was our weather during our 4-mile walk.

By Thursday, it was like we lived on a totally different planet. Snow was forecasted throughout Wednesday night into Thursday morning, so I got my hopes up for a snow day. But there was hardly even a dusting on the yard when we got up.

Barley thinks this amount of snow is worthless.
I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to leave my nice cozy apartment and I left for work.

Thursdays are my short days, so I headed up 3 hours later and by the time I got home Barley was a happy dog--there was lots of snow to romp in.




The snow kept falling for hours. After our first play session, I ate some lunch and braced myself for a walk. We haven't missed a day since August 26, so we couldn't start now! The snow had really piled up by the time we headed out the door, but Barley didn't mind one bit. She kept sticking her head into snow drifts and prancing alongside me.


There were a few brief moments of color as a couple trees had colorful leaves still hanging on and one had beautiful red berries. 






Our Garmin weather report looked significantly different after our final walk of the week. It should be illegal for the temperature to be less than half the temperature from earlier in the week!




Despite the fact that I had to bundle up and that my recently cleaned floors have now had snow slush tracked on them, it was fun seeing my girl have so much fun.

She's spent most of the day looking out the window watching the snow.

We had one small tragedy during our evening snow romp when one of Barley's favorite toys disappeared in the snow. I had my phone out so I could make a video of her joy to share with my southern friends and she tossed it up, kept running, and then the toy was gone. At the end of the video, you can see her running into a snow drift where she'd previously thrown her toy and she's absolutely sure her toy is going to be there again--and then it's not. It just breaks my heart. Luckily, as I was retracing her tracks and kicking snow around trying to find it, she found it on her own; I was almost certain we'd be missing that toy until spring.

video

We got in two separate short walks and two good play sessions in the backyard. Of course, Barley thinks we should have done more and kepts trying to lure me outside--but I've gotta ease into this snow thing again, so 2.2 miles of walking is all I had in me. Thanks to the beautiful weather at the beginning of the week, we logged 23.02 miles this week, so the short week last week has almost been made up for.

Barley and I hope that everyone else is having a warm FitDog Friday or at least getting to enjoy the same sort of glee Barley's been experiencing!



20 comments:

  1. I love watching a dog play in the snow...almost makes it worthwhile! Good for you not letting it stop you from your walks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I never liked snow until I got Barley and saw how much she loves it. Even though I would have been happier to stay snuggled up with Soth inside, I couldn't deny Barley the joy of walking in the first snow :)

      Delete
  2. This is exactly how I feel when I wake up and the ground is just covered in snow. Very cute pics too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Barley certainly loves her snow!

      Delete
  3. Mr. N likes playing in the snow but he gets so cold. Glad you found your toy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley has been more than happy to snuggle up with me while I drink a cup of cider after we've played outside, but I think she'd stay out there forever if I let her--cold doesn't seem to be in her vocabulary! I'm glad we found the toy, too--we took that one out because it's neon colors and I thought it was less likely to get lost than one of her lighter colored sheep or bunny toys, but it got coated in snow and then I think she kicked up snow over when she was running around like a crazy dog, so it didn't make much difference what color it was!

      Delete
  4. Awesome that you got out in the snow. We dogs just love it and in our yard, spring is always a fun surprise when buried treasures reappear! Next time a toy is lost, try calling in my sister Bailie to track it down for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bailie would be great at tracking lost toys in the snow!

      Delete
  5. That's so cool you got snow. There was snow predicted in our forecast but we haven't gotten any yet. Have fun in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow was fun this time since there wasn't too much and I didn't have to go anywhere, but the foot we're predicted to get tonight probably won't be as fun!

      Delete
  6. Barley is adorable and the video of her playing in the snow is awesome. We don't mind the cold as long as we get some snow to play in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley definitely makes snow more enjoyable for me!

      Delete
  7. Wow you sure got some snow! I bet Barley would have used her nose and found the toy even in deeper snow. She just needs some practice. (Part of me hopes she doesn't get the chance...lol. Sorry Barley.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's the one that found it eventually, but she was panicked for a few minutes! She's great at finding treats and odors, but we've never practiced searching for a toy before!

      Delete
  8. Our crew would have been so excited to see that much snow! We've only gotten a dusting, and it was very cold and windy today. We had short play sessions because I'm not ready for that cold yet!
    What beautiful photos of the snow on those trees!
    We always lose toys in the yard in the winter, and they sometimes aren't seen again until Spring!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been keeping our walks short for that same reason! Barley handles the cold much better than I do!

      Delete
  9. Wow! Look at all that snow--all we got last week was ice. :) I don't know much about snow, but I know I'd LOVE it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage, you would love the snow, I bet! It's sort of like romping in the mud, but you don't get dirty so you can avoid the bath!

      Delete
  10. The weather is definitey getting weird! Of the five of us three like snow and two hate it. Mom hates the cold but doesn't mind snow as long as it melts quickly because she loves for us to play in it! So we are of very mixed opinions about the weather

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house is the same way! Barley lives for snow. Our kitty hates it and sits in the window and scowls at Barley as she romps in the snow. I don't like the cold, but I like to see Barley have fun--I wouldn't mind snow so much if our neighborhood sidewalks were shoveled, but I don't like sliding around on our walks!

      Delete