Friday, December 12, 2014

Celebrations

As I mentioned last Friday, Barley and I were set to hit our goal on Friday afternoon. On our 483rd walk of the year, Barley and I hit 1,000 miles.

Of course, we had to stop and take a selfie.

When we uploaded our walk, we got the stats to show just how much time we'd spent walking to reach our goal: 297 hours, 12 minutes, and 13 seconds.



We came home and celebrated with a new Ruffhides for Barley and a New Belgium Hop the Pond double IPA for me.


It feels great to know that we met our goal! Back in February when we were lucky to get in half a mile a day with the terrible cold, I wasn't sure we'd get here, but we did and a big part of our success has been all of you! On December 31, Barley and I plan to announce a surprise as a way to thank all of your for our support.

Reaching our goal wasn't our only celebration this week. On Tuesday, Barley celebrated her 5th birthday!

Posing with her new presents.


Since we haven't had snow since before Thanksgiving, I got Barley the closest thing I could get to her favorite thing for her birthday. Petsmart had several different options for squeaky snowballs, so I got a six-pack. They are hysterical. They're small enough that I can fit three in each hand a squeak them all at once. When I throw all six up in the air, Barley runs in circles and can't decide which one to go after, so she just runs from one to the next until she gives up.

We also got in a short, but nice walk along the lake to celebrate. It was dreary and a little drizzly, but we had the whole park to ourselves. 




Our final celebration has been the fact that I got all of my final grading done in record time. My last sent of finals were due on Thursday by 11:00 a.m. and thanks to students turning things in early and having a couple smaller classes, I had final grades for all five classes submitted by 11:30. With the exception of going to graduation tomorrow night, I am officially on break until January.

The best little grading helper ever.
When they snuggle instead of play fight, it's much easier to get work done.
We ended the week of celebrations with 18.74 miles, which puts us at 1017.30 miles for the year.

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a great milestone...you must feel so proud and accomplished! Going for 2,000 next year? Just kidding...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't figured out what next year's goal is going to be yet, but 2000 might be pushing it just a bit ;)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Barley and big congrats on making your goal. Enjoy your break. The snowmen are cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We've been having a lot of fun with the snowball toys! Barley thinks they're the next best thing to real snow :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Barley and congrats on reaching your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a big week! Enjoy your time off now...but don't forget to keep walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Don't worry--Barley would never let me forget to keep walking, but now we can do it without the sense of urgency we were feeling in February.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We did! I had my doubts at the beginning of the year, but it feels great to have met our goal!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations and Happy Birthday Barley! Those snowflakes are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're finding it hard to keep up with all of the snowballs now! I think they may be hiding under the couch with a collection of cat toys!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! When I really think about that, 1000 miles in a year, it really sounds like a lot. You did great.
    Happy Birthday to Barley, and enjoy your break!! I imagine you'll still be out there walking though, right? :)
    Lots of wags and woofs from the crew at Wag n Woof Pets



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a lot to me, too, but it equals out to about 2.97 miles/day and when I think about how much some of our blog friends walk every day (like Emma and her mom and sisters!) it suddenly doesn't seem like quite as much! We have still been walking every day--we haven't missed a day since August 26, so it seemed like we should keep that trend going ;)

      Delete
  8. This makes me so happy! Can't wait to add to the miles with you in a couple of weeks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddux better have his walking shoes on!

      Delete
  9. Wow that's awesome!!! Congrats all the way around!

    ReplyDelete