Friday, January 30, 2015

Am I a Cat?

Until I met my little man cat, Soth, I was never a cat person. I'd grown up with dogs and the few cats I'd interacted with were skittish and wouldn't hesitate to swat you if you tried to pet them.

Then I met this guy and I can't imagine my life without him.


I mentioned that I got a Jawbone Up fitness tracking band from my brother with the instructions that I have to beat my sister in weekly steps. I started using it regularly on January 8, so it's been about 3 weeks now and I'm starting to get concerned.

I set my goal at 15,000 steps a day--mostly because when I was hanging out with my mom and her FitBit, she was getting 10,000 steps by late afternoon and we weren't walking our regular 3 miles a day. 

Even though Barley and I have been doing better at getting out for longer walks in the snow lately, I've only met my goal twice. But that's not why I'm concerned--I realize my parents' house is much bigger than my apartment, so there are twice as many steps from the couch to the coffee pot or from the computer to the snack pantry, which means I don't get as many steps during my vegging out periods at home as I would visiting my parents. I haven't had much trouble getting to 12,000 steps, so as soon as the sun is out a little later in the day and we can add one more walk to our routine I think I'll be golden.

What concerns me is the information my Up band provides me with about my day. I get little emails about my week that contain things how my sleep and steps that week compare to the week before and which hour was my least active (7-8 p.m.--which makes sense because that's dinner time or when we're driving home from agility). I can also look at the app and see how much active time I've logged in any given day.


It's starting to make me wonder if I'm not just a cat person, but if I'm actually a person who is a cat. Only 2 hours and 17 minutes of active time for the entire day--on a day when I got over 15,000 steps?!


I know that even if I'm not physically on the go for hours on end, I'm not actually embracing my inner cat. I'm grading papers, planning lectures, responding to emails, and creating training materials for my Writing Center tutors. I'm writing the blog or reading yours. I'm researching new places to walk with Barley or new types of wet food that Soth might actually want to eat. So even if my body isn't active, my brain usually is.




Deep down, I know I'm not really just like Soth only moving from one bed to the next or from the bed to my food bowl, but when you see numbers like that down in writing, it's kind of a wake up call. I'm not entirely sure how to work in a lot more active time into the schedule during the school year because grading and lesson planning will never go away--in fact, they seem to require more and more time each semester--but it's definitely something Barley and I will be trying to figure out.


And I guess on the upside, I'm already doing more than other women my age who use the Up band. So I might be part cat, but I'm definitely not alone.




18 comments:

  1. I think lots of people have an inner cat they embrace. Glad you're beating your age group - 15,000 steps is a good goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to warmer weather and longer days when that goal will be even more attainable! Wednesday night, I ran laps around the apartment to get the last 500 steps I needed to meet the goal ;) It's a good thing I have curtains or my neighbors would think I'd lost my mind!

      Delete
  2. Us humans spend lots of time sitting in front of the computer and actually doing work!!! So, it's great that you're getting the exercise you are! I think it's ok to take cat naps, too, because the rest time is just as important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of cat naps! I like to think of it as special bonding time with Soth since he doesn't get to go on nice long walks with us :)

      Delete
  3. Every little bit helps in keeping fit,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's just a little surprising to see your movement put into perspective the way this band does!

      Delete
  4. You have to be as active as you can with your lifestyle. My mom is opposite of you. She was a cat person, and now is almost all dog. We can't get her to sit still and the cats get mad because she is constantly getting up and moving around. Keep on going, maybe when you like the weather more your entire average will go up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely expecting to hit 15000 steps easily when there are longer days and warmer weather--we're hitting 12000+ pretty regularly, so once we can add in a third walk after dinner, we should have no trouble.

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely innately a cat too. We have the same issue with our apartment. It only takes a few steps to get anywhere whereas when we were visiting family, I was running up and down stairs all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I got back from the holidays, I was like 15000 no problem! Then I plugged in my band to rack the steps that first time and I was like that's it?! Then I remembered the whole stairs thing, too. I've started making extra trips to the dumpster, though, instead of just dropping trash off on our way out for a walk, so I'm trying to find little ways to get a few more steps each day.

      Delete
  6. We like standing out of crowds at our pack as well! Keep up the good work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Barley is very good at making sure I get up and keep moving :)

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, I haven't looked at mine too closely. Should probably start.....

    I get concerned when it says I get more sleep than the average woman my age. That's really bad if we are all that sleep deprived haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt when I plugged it in mid-day with that 7908 steps and it said I'd moved 2000+ steps more than the average woman my age. What?! That was a lazy day for me and I know I'm not particularly active.

      Delete
  8. I just got the Jawbone Up a week ago, I wanted one after you said you'd got it...so thanks for the tip! I've run into the same thing as you. Even though I don't do a lot of structured exercise, I thought I was pretty active just moving around the house and in the yard with the dogs. I set my goal to the 10,000 and I haven't even made that yet! It was a real wake up call for me, and now I'm working hard to figure out how to move more! I lowered my goal so that I could enjoy achieving something, and I plan to keep gradually raising it.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to work in some heeling exercises throughout the living room and kitchen every time it buzzes me that I've been inactive for 30 minutes! That way I get moving and Barley gets a little training in, too, but it buzzes me far more than I expected it to!

      Delete
  9. Winter is a good season to embrace that inner cat. :) If Jawbone is like Freighter's Whistle, it will log everything but only show active time if it goes beyond a certain threshold of movement. Or...if you are getting that many steps in a little time you must be a superhero. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a combination of those scenarios--sometimes I'll get up for 10 seconds to chase Bar away from the cat food and then as soon as I sit down again it will buzz and tell me I haven't moved for 30 minutes, so I think it only counts active time after a certain number of minutes/seconds. But, I've also plugged it in before and after walks and agility class, and most of our walks get me about 1/3 of my steps, so when we get two, I'm getting 2/3 of my steps for the day in about an hour time span. The day from the picture, I got the other hour from walking around and lecturing during my one class and that gave me a couple thousand steps, so I'm just wondering how many steps I'd get if I moved another hour each day! (And trying to figure out where that extra hour will come from!)

      Delete