Monday, January 19, 2015

Barley, RN

As a child, one of my favorite Disney characters was always Nana, the dog from Peter Pan. (Maybe I've mentioned this before?) She was loyal and patient. She could give her kids their cough syrup and clean up their toys. She was perfect. Although my own childhood dog couldn't dole out medicine and certainly didn't help with cleaning, I always saw her as Nana, patient, kind, loving, protective.

Then came Barley. My family seems to chuckle every time I call Barley Nana. Barley has no patience. She's always ready to go. Even when she's practicing a stay, her tail is waving wildly and you can see that every single muscle is twitching and ready to go on the command.

Barley is also a bull in a china shop. Her tail clears the coffee table in one swoop. No matter how often I clean and vacuum, there are always dog toys on the floor. She is certainly not a big helper when it comes to cleaning (although we're considering training putting her toys in her bucket next).

When it comes to doling out medicine, Barley is the dog that poisoned herself with a bottle of Aleve the second year we were together. Probably not the best job for her.

While it seems like she's lacking most of the skills that made Nana my idea dog, Barley becomes a new pup when I'm less than 100%.

I spent most of the last week between semesters in bed with a cold. (Which honestly wasn't that bad because it gave me a good excuse to spend several days doing nothing but reading.) Even though I was at my parents' and my mom was taking care of me, Barley took her nursing duties very seriously. She stayed stretched out beside me in bed or on a blanket on the floor beside the bed. She only left my side when she heard snacks rustling in the kitchen and then she was back as soon as she'd had a bite to eat.

I might have stolen this blanket from your bed, but I'm not leaving your side.
Now, three weeks later, the cold has returned. Barley has resumed her nursing duties. Since I have the day off today, I took NyQuil last night--even though it was after midnight by the time I got around to going to bed. When I woke up this morning, Barley was stretched out beside me and didn't pounce on me like she normally does. With the grey skies outside, it looked relatively dark in my room, so I was certain it was pretty early. When I looked at my phone, it was 10:00! Nurse Barley hadn't woke me up with a rumbling tummy or barking at squirrels. I guess she knew I needed my sleep.

Last night, I was doing some work and heard rustling coming from behind the couch. As I mentioned Friday, Barley's been into everything lately. But we'd had a couple good walking days and on Saturday she actually napped instead of getting into trouble.

When I got up to see what she'd stolen this time, I found her with a box of passion tea--my drink of choice when I've got a stuff nose and a scratchy throat.

I think it's time for you to have a cuppa! 
What might look like mischief to the untrained eye sure looks like my girl taking care of her mama to me! (Apparently the binge watching of Grey's Anatomy that I've been doing on Netflix lately is paying off . . . who says dogs should be watching Lassie?)


16 comments:

  1. our pets always know how to take care of us,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley definitely does. Her kitty brother was pretty insistent that I get up at 6:30 to give him breakfast--I stumbled out of bed long enough to shut him out of the bedroom :)

      Delete
  2. What a sweetie...I'm coming down with a cold too, but somehow I don't think Jack makes a very good nana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm sure Jack's sweet face has some healing properties on its own :) Hope you're feeling better soon!

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how they change when they know something is wrong. Angel Sam was the best "Nana", but Harlow and Monty seem to always know when I need a little cuddle time.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as Soth isn't hungry, he's a good snuggly kitty nurse! Barley is usually a little too enthusiastic to be a good snuggler, but she's getting better.

      Delete
  4. Mr. N is a good nurse as long as he thinks I'm seriously sick (like when I had my wisdom tooth out). Minor ailments, he thinks I should power through it lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Barley goes through stages throughout the day. She'll let me nap for a little while, but then she's ready for her walk and kind of shoves me out of the bed and towards the door. Once we've walked, she's ok if we snuggle up again.

      Delete
  5. Aww, what a great nurse you are, Miss Barley! Our pups haven't figured out the tea-thing yet, although that would be pretty pawsome..whenever I'm sad and/or get teary-eyed, both pups come running & offer free face washes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just waiting for Barley to figure out how to make the tea instead of just brining me a box!

      Delete
  6. Aww, what a good little nurse Barley is! Hope you feel better soon.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Cathy, Isis & Phoebe
    www.dogsluvusandweluvthem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Luckily, it wasn't a terrible cold, so after a couple days of extra long naps, I was back to normal :)

      Delete
  7. Aw, she's a good girl! Send her on over, we're in need of a Nana over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might be helpful with you, but I doubt she'd be able to dish up Maddux's special food without sampling a few bites herself!

      Delete
  8. That's so great, what a good and sensitive girl Barley is! So far my dogs aren't so good at nursing....it doesn't matter how the humans are feeling, they still want up at 5 am for breakfast. And if I'm home sick in bed they still think I'm there to entertain them!
    Hope you are feeling better!
    Lots of wags and woofs from the crew at Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Soth is like your crew--he's hopping on the dresser and shoving things off to get me out of bed and closer to his breakfast bowl at 5:30 or 6 every morning, regardless of how I feel or when the alarm is set for! I'm feeling much better after a few days of extra naps :)

      Delete