Thursday, January 22, 2015

Welcome to Stars Hollow, Ohio

I've mentioned before that my town closely resembles Stars Hollow from my beloved Gilmore Girls. The town decorates for everything and celebrates anything.

In September, it's grapes with the Grape Jamboree (and two separate 1.5-hour parades). The windows in all the shops are decorated for a contest. They hang up baskets of flowers that look like bunches of grapes. I love it.

What does the fox eat? Grapes!

Then in October, they get ready for Ghoulfest. They hang up scarecrows on all of the light posts. Different groups put the scarecrows together for another contest. They're fun, but they also get a little gross since most of them are wearing clothing and it rains a lot in October, so they don't hold up very well for very long.

In December, the Christmas decorations go up. For some reason, they put up fewer than usual this year and I was a little bummed.

But this past weekend, I noticed that preparations for the next celebration were well underway. In January or early February, the town has their Winterfest celebration. I've never actually gone to the celebration (I can only take my celebration of the cold so far), but apparently they have ice sculpting and other winter activities as well as a parade. Once upon a time, Barley and I crossed paths with Lake Effect Louie who was on his way to line up for the parade. The Winterfest decorations are my favorite.

Just like with the scarecrows, various groups and businesses decorate wooden snowmen each year and their hung up on the light posts. Mother Nature was kind enough to give us a warm enough day with clear sidewalks to head downtown to visit the snowmen. 

I apologize for some of the pictures--some of the light posts are further in on the sidewalks, so you can get a decent picture. Others are right at the edge, so you have to balance and try to get a picture without getting run over--of course, those are the ones I loved best!



I love this cow. We're going to try to walk by again and get a better angle.

This one says "Will Melt for Wine." I must get a better shot.










I adore this one--his body is made out of wine corks!

Barley wants to build a snowman.

These snowmen help add a little cheer to these cold, grey days. We hope that everyone else has found a little bit of silly to help them through winter, too!


12 comments:

  1. I sense a wine theme going on with the Winterfest. :) Those are cute decorations. I love a good Winterfest if I get a chance to go. They are usually fun. Thanks so much for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We are in Ohio wine country, so a lot of the snowmen are put together by different wineries. Someday, I'll have to come out of hibernation to check out the actual celebration because it sounds like a good time!

      Delete
  2. Your town sounds so cool! I've always wanted to live in a place like Stars Hollow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weird little town (and we're missing the hunky diner owner!), but I love living here!

      Delete
  3. I've never been to a winter fest, but I would love to go. It looks like a cool town to live in.

    Thanks for joining the blog hop~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a strange little town to live in, but there's usually something fun or bizarre to keep our walks interesting :)

      Delete
  4. what fun and festive decorations! Being a former "Ohio Girl" I sure miss many of the small towns there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in the South, but these little towns up here have the whole Southern Hospitality thing down pat ;)

      Delete
  5. Aw yay! I want my town to decorate for randomness :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're always welcome to come visit our decorations :)

      Delete
  6. That looks like fun...it definitely makes a walk more interesting!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun! I look forward to it every year and I'm so glad we got clear enough sidewalks to be able to walk to see them all in one shot :)

      Delete