Friday, February 20, 2015

Hibernation

Well, friends, our walking streak has ended. After 5 and a half months of not missing a day of walking, we have officially missed a day.

If your Facebook newsfeed looks anything like mine has this week, you've probably seen endless posts about the frigid cold that seems to be everywhere. On Sunday, the sun was shining beautifully and there were clear blue skies. Ohio was playing the same dirty tricks on me that New Mexico used to do--it looked like a beautiful day for being outside soaking up whatever Vitamin D you can get in the winter, but then you step outside and immediately want to run back inside and hide under the covers. I thought that maybe I could suck it up and get a short walk in, but then I checked the weather.


There were big red warnings all over the Accuweather website. Warnings about frostbite and hypothermia. Warnings about making sure all of your skin was covered. Warnings about avoiding prolonged exposure to the cold. We didn't go for a walk.

I know there are people who do walk in temperatures like this, but for me, it wasn't worth the risk. I like Barley's nose. I didn't want it to get frostbitten. I like her weird little ears, but I don't want them to get any smaller, though, so I didn't want to take the chance that she'd get frostbite there, either. Plus, I'm not a ski mask kind of girl, and I'm pretty sure I'd be in BIG trouble if I lost my nose to frostbite before I was expected to be in family pictures at my brother's wedding later this year. 

We stayed inside and worked some start-line stays with our jump. We did a little wobble board practice. We worked with our nose works odor kit. We did some mat work. And the world didn't end because we had missed a day of walking. 

Barley isn't sure she's as good relaxing as her brother is.

The temperatures haven't improved much since Sunday, but there were a few days where it was still in the positive temperatures, even with the windchill, so we got out for a few short walks. We managed to fit in a whopping 5.12 miles this week. 

Rumor has it that this cold spell is supposed to end tomorrow, so we're looking forward to getting back into our walking routine again--but today is going to be another day of inside fun because it was -29 degrees when we woke up this morning. Even Barley, the abominable snow pup, wasn't interested in going outside for long when I took her out this morning, so I don't think she's going to mind spending the day playing inside.

Luckily, we got a couple fun new Mardi Gras toys in our BarkBox this week to keep us entertained with some games of tug and toss and chase.



Hope everyone else has been enjoying some fitness fun--whether you've been trapped inside or able to get out and enjoy the great outdoors! 




17 comments:

  1. It's so hard to keep your outdoor exercise quota up in that cold weather - I don't blame you for taking a pass. Hope it warms up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're supposed to get up to 34 tomorrow and Sunday, so we can get in a few good walks with that before it gets back down to the single digits on Monday.

      Delete
  2. We've been out in the below zero temps enjoying the peacefulness all week. We are sure those weather people try to scare people into staying home. Hope you can get out again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your nice long ears probably make a good face warmer--Barley and I don't have that built in feature ;) One of my friends lives in Michigan where they've had similar temperatures and on her 10 minute walk to work, her water in her water bottle froze--that's not weather we want to be out in :)

      Delete
  3. oh my gosh ,stay warm and safe,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been taking advantage of the extra snuggle time we got by not going for a walk ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! I wouldn't walk in that, either! I don't blame you at all! Stay warm! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been doing our best to enjoy hot chocolate and stuffed Kongs while stay warm and snuggly inside :)

      Delete
  5. We got our fair share of cold weather this week in NC as well, and haven't been able to go for our long morning walks as usual. Instead, we've taken several shorter trips out back into our yard for potty breaks & some games of fetch & a few zoomies. We were, however, able to go for our backpack walks in the early afternoon.
    -29 definitely is extreme...that wouldn't be very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like things have been unpleasant in NC--my brother and a lot of my friends from college live in various parts of the state and most of them got several winter weather days off of work/school! Poor Barley has hardly even wanted to go out for a potty break, but luckily we got work off some of her energy in agility and on a couple short walks.

      Delete
  6. It's very important to keep your ears and nose intact! You should come vacation here, we've been having a very mild winter and flowers are blooming! It's so weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting your part of the country is definitely on my dream vacation list! Hope you and Mr. N enjoy the flowers for us--I've banned my mom from posting pictures of her blossoms on Facebook until it's up to normal temperatures again here!

      Delete
  7. It really is not healthy to be out and exercising in this weather. You are smart to cut back. I think it is going to get warmer then colder again. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--the risks outweigh the benefits of walking in temperatures like this in my opinion, so we've been trying to find fun ways to get exercise inside where we can be nice and warm :) I think we're getting two days of "warm" weather--so we're taking advantage of that as much as possible this weekend. Hope you're staying warm, too!

      Delete
  8. I think you are wise to stay indoors in that kind of weather. We finally got a couple of warmer days and got outside for some playing and walking, but then the temps plunged again yesterday. I took the dogs out when I got home from work, and we'd usually play for at least 10-15 minutes but I just couldn't do it! We've been doing nosework games some too, and some training.
    Today and tomorrow might not be too bad (though it's starting out well below zero today), so we hope to get out more too.
    I hope you're able to get back to your routine soon!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah....we aren't a fan of this cold either. Although I do want to get Maddux booties now so we can at least walk a little bit! He is not loving this! Bark Box makes the winter a little more bearable though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are like you. We pop out quickly then dash back in and run around the house to warm up. It hit -37' with the windchill here and is still snowing. Kilo hates boots and jackets so just not worth the hurt. Love the sound of your indoor activities. I should get Kilo a wobble board. He has a little agility course set up and plays go find. XS

    ReplyDelete