Friday, February 27, 2015

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's . . . Crazy Barley

We've had another extremely cold week with little opportunity for good, long walks. The week started out with a couple "warm" days where we got in a couple miles each day, but we only totaled 7.05 miles this week.

It was nice to be able to walk for more than .5 miles at a time. Barley was so excited to have a chance to sniff around and watch a few squirrels frolic. We even got a couple walks in without boots! 


I don't care if your face is freezing--there's something amazing here and I WILL sniff it.

Then the cold came back. We weren't able to get a walk in before agility class, which is never a good thing. (Does anybody else in the world have to wear out their dog BEFORE taking them to agility class?!) 

We started a new session two weeks ago, so we had a new classmate joining us (this adorable beagle mix). That always adds a little excitement to class since Barley takes a while to warm up to new dogs--and doesn't hesitate to let them know if she doesn't like their behavior if she gets the chance. Our trainer is great and any time Barley's off leash she has any new dogs go into the crate room or behind a fence before Barley's turn, so she can't go check them out, which helps me relax more and then helps Barley relax more. But the excitement of a new dog always amps Barley up a little more than usual, regardless of whether she has a chance to see them or not.

Combine the excitement of another dog with the pent-up energy of no walk before class and you have one nutty Barley dog. She started out focused--we did some heeling exercises around the training floor before class started. But on her first turn, she lost her mind almost the second the leash came off. She was supposed to go into a tunnel, come out and go to the table, then send to a jump, turn to go through a tire jump, and go back through the tunnel for our first few obstacles. I set her up for the tunnel and as soon as I said tunnel, she took off and flew onto the table. She hit the table with such force that it started rocking and almost flipped over. Then she flew of the table, ran a few laps, and hit the table again. She did this a few times before deciding she was tired of that and ready to come back to me. (Again, thank you universe for giving us the most patient, kind classmates ever!) We quit trying to get the sequence and started doing some focus work for our turn. Then we put sandbags on the bottom of the table. 

In addition to a little craziness in class, Barley's been extra crazy at home. We were playing with her toys one day this week since we couldn't get out for a walk. If I stand against one wall in the living room and toss a toy towards the kitchen, Barley can run the length of the apartment to chase it. Usually, I'll squeak the toy to get Barley to come stand in front of me to make sure she has as much room to run as possible--she'll come around the couch to get to me. When I squeaked a toy this time, she poked her nose up over the back of the couch. It was adorable. I wanted a picture of her peeking over the couch. When I tried that, I got this instead:


That's right. My crazy dog jumped over the back of my couch. Not once. Not twice. Three times. I decided it was time for snuggling before something (or someone) got broken.

Spring please hurry!

Despite the craziness, we're still right on track for meeting our goal for the year. Last year by the end of February, we were at 96.01 miles. This year, we're at 109.02 miles, so I can't complain. Rumor has it, we're going to get back up into the 30s next week, so hopefully we can have better numbers to report next Friday!


24 comments:

  1. Pent up dog energy is hard ti dissipate...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need all the luck we can get. Fingers crossed this week is better!

      Delete
  2. At least you have agility class. Border Collies are always needing to be busy, so I can't imagine living with one that has too much energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time living with a border collie is a fun adventure--but when you have several days in a row where it's only safe to be out for a few minutes at a time, you start googling the addresses of the nearest mental hospitals ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh Barley!! <3 She is too cute! I'm sorry the weather has been too cold for longer walks! I hope it warms up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself "at least she's cute!" We're just going to live vicariously through your walks until it gets warmer because it looks like you've had some great walking weather!

      Delete
  4. We always have to make sure Charlie gets tired out before any class! A short walk and a lot of frisbee retrieving does the trick! I know how you feel with the cold too - it has really hampered our daily walks and the pups can get a bit restless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that we're not alone in having wear a dog out for class! When the weather's good, we'll walk 3 miles before class and she's still rarin' to go when we get to the training center! Barley and I are getting restless, too--hope we all get a little bit of warm weather soon!

      Delete
  5. I have to wear Mr. N out before we go to his therapy visits otherwise he's bouncing off the walls. One of the counselors was like, oh he's so calm! And I replied, yes this is him after four hours of hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I could count on Mr. N to give Barley a run for her money energy-wise ;) I wish I had half of their energy!

      Delete
  6. Hi Y'all!

    My Human always plays catch with me before leaving for any training class. Then add the hour and half ride to get there and a walk around the outdoor perimeter to "settle"...then I'm ready for work.

    My Human would have loved to see Barley's antics. No wonder everyone was so patient, we've all put our humans in the same spot at times.

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley's antics are highly entertaining! Usually, I'm too busy deciding if I should laugh, cry, or tackle her to get a video--our classmates are saints, though! All of the other dogs are so calm and laid-back and Barley's the wild child.

      Delete
  7. Hahaha, yikes. Spring needs to hurry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She might be finding herself in a basket on your front step if spring doesn't get here soon. A little time with Aunt L might do her good :)

      Delete
  8. Cabin fever is definitely not fun! Luke is raring to go first thing every morning, and on the weekend I'd like to just enjoy a peaceful cup of coffee before having to entertain dogs! I can't send him to run around in the yard when it's below zero out. It does look like we have some warmer weather coming, though it's definitely not here yet (10 below right now)....fingers and paws crossed!
    That's great that you're on track and ahead of last year at this time...that's really something with the way this weather has been!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped that we had that walking streak going for a little while--last winter it was easy to say, "It's cold, so we'll make up for it later" and snuggle up inside, but this winter it seemed a shame to break our streak as long as it was warm enough for a safe walk.

      Delete
  9. I hope the warmer weather will be headed your way soon! Good luck with burning Barley's energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly it will be up in the high 40s by the middle of next week! So, we'll be dealing with mud puddles soon!

      Delete
  10. You're so lucky to play in the snow,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just wish it was warm enough to play in it for more than a couple minutes at a time!

      Delete
  11. I know people that actually go to a big field and throw 200 yard marks or make the dog swim the same distance before a hunt test so you are not the only one who has to tire your dog out...lol. All that pent up energy and excitement has to go somewhere. I hope we all see some 30's. We are ready for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're ready for spring, too! I'm glad I'm not alone in having to wear my dog out--it just seems so silly to have to get a dog tired before going to do a sport where it's all about the energy ;)

      Delete
  12. We're hoping for warmer weather too. It's definitely difficult to get adequate exercise when the ground is covered in ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope Mother Nature cooperates with you soon, too!

      Delete