Thursday, February 5, 2015

Kitty Mommy Guilt

As much as I've always been a dog person, it's no secret that Soth is my heart. He's the first pet I got after moving out on my own. He's the first thing I've been responsible for besides myself. He's the pet that rushes to meet me at the door when I come home (although Barley would if she could figure out how to open her crate). 


Since Thanksgiving, my sweet boy has had no break from his FLUTD and it's been breaking my heart. He's been urinating outside of the litter box and we had to bring back the third litter box we'd been able to put away back in the early fall. There's been a lot of blood, and often crystals, in his urine. But there's not much that can be done for him when these episodes occur. 

He used to get regular pain medicine when he'd have an episode because he cried all the time and he strained in the litter box. Then he started handling the episodes better or they quit getting as bad, so we took two years off of pain medicine. 

Then last week as I was getting ready for bed, he squatted over a pile of junk mail I needed to sort through and when I went to herd him over towards his litter box, I noticed he was straining and it took a long time for him to produce any urine. I was so afraid we were going to have to make a middle of the night trip to the ER vet, but I checked on him several times throughout the night and he seemed fine. I watched him all day the next day and finally decided I should ask our vet for a refill on his pains meds.

If I hide under the dresser and look adorable, you can't give me medicine.
The effects were almost immediate. Thirty minutes after his first dose, he was romping and playing. He was hopping on the couch to keep me company while I graded. He was chasing Barley. There's been no straining in the litter box and he's using the litter box more regularly. He's been eating more consistent amounts of food, too.

He's got a week left of his pain meds and then we'll have just a couple weeks left before he goes in for his annual check up when we'll talk to the vet about options for continuing to help his bladder heal from the months of irritation. 

I'm suffering from kitty mommy guilt for not calling in a refill sooner. I knew that he'd been having a much longer episode than he'd ever had before, but he wasn't acting like he was in pain, so it didn't even cross my mind that he might benefit from some pain meds until things got really bad. If you could all send some love, prayers, or positive vibes out into the universe for my little man cat, we'd both appreciate all the good thoughts we can get!



10 comments:

  1. I can understand waiting until you thought the medication is needed. It is not like you were withholding the meds to make him suffer. I am glad they made him better right away. I hope he continues to do well. Thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they made him better, too! They don't treat his FLUTD, but they help with the pain so he isn't scared of going into his litter box and they help him be able to play a little bit more than he had been, so it's better than nothing!

      Delete
  2. Poor fella, but you can't blame yourself! You couldn't have known. He will be tip top soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still pretty sure that this episode started because Aunt L left him after Thanksgiving! I think the only solution is for you to come back.

      Delete
  3. Oh poor Soth. I understand how you feel, but you can't guilt yourself up. It would be far better if they could just tell us, but since they can't, sometimes we miss the clues. The good news is you have gotten him back on the meds and he is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is especially good at hiding the clues--and since the pain meds don't help cure any of the FLUTD problems and we'd been off them so long, they weren't at the front of my mind until he smacked me in the face with the fact that he was in pain.

      Delete
  4. Please do not beat yourself. We ALL second guess ourselves much of the time! Especially with cats. I have a cat and a dog but have had a cat for well over 20 years and they are so good at hiding distress, pain, etc, that it is easy to think things are ok, when sometimes they aren't. The important thing is ALWAYS that you are closely watching, and that you DID end up calling the vet. Sending (((hugs))) to you and hope that Soth feels better soon! Love from Caren and Cody www.catchatwithcarenandcody.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Poor Soth probably wishes that I didn't watch as closely--every time he's gone to the litter box lately, I've rushed over to make sure that he was actually able to go--so there's been no privacy for him this week!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad he is at least feeling better and hope that continues. It sounds like a tough condition to deal with, and that you are doing the best you can. That's all any of us can do with our pets, and sometimes we just don't know the best answer right away.....especially when they can get so good at hiding the fact that they're in pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he continues to feel better, too! I'm always extra paranoid with Soth since he's my first kitty, so I don't know how to read him like I do with dogs! I feel a little more confident with knowing whether Bar's just a little under the weather or whether she needs to get to the vet immediately. It would be so much easier if they could talk some times! Hope Miss Sheba is healing and feeling better!

      Delete