Monday, February 2, 2015

These Boots were Made for Walking

After reading several comments and posts about the wonders of Pawz dog boots, I decided Barley and I should try them. I didn't have high hopes. Barley doesn't even like to sit still long enough for me to wipe her paws off after a walk, but after I caught her standing on the kitchen counter, I knew we needed to find a way to get regular walks in if we were both going to survive the winter.

Since I needed to order some stuff for Soth from Chewy.com, I tossed a package of Pawz in the cart, too.

I figured we could work on training her to let me put things on her paws while we waited for their arrival. By that, I mean I stuck one of my little ankle socks on her front paw--and when she didn't protest, I gave her a lot of treats and decided not to jinx it by going any farther.

Why are you doing this to me?

Two days later, some nice purple Pawz were waiting on the front porch when I got home.

Hurry up and open this, Mom! I think there's something in there for me.

This isn't exactly what I had in mind.

It was cold outside, but I didn't want to push Barley too far, so I decided we'd just practice putting them on. We got one on with no problems. She got a treat. So we tried for two. Before I knew it, we had all four on and there were no issues, so I decided why not go ahead and test them outside on a short walk.

I had no idea that something so small could provide so much laughter.

Inside, Barley was literally hopping through the house. I tried to take a video, but I was laughing so hard that I couldn't keep the camera on her and I couldn't keep from cackling in the background; it was not attractive.

I told you I couldn't keep the camera still--but look at that leg kick!
When we got outside, she quickly started walking normally. Except when we'd stop. Barley's trained to stop and sit any time we get to an intersection--often she also does this if I just stop to take a picture of something or fix a shoe lace. Any time we'd go from stopped to walking again, she'd kick both front legs out like a tin soldier before going back to her normal gait. It was hysterical.




Since we got the the Pawz a week ago, we've gotten in several nice long walks we wouldn't have been able to take otherwise.





Barley's mischievous side is coming out now and she's starting to be more resistant to putting them on, though. No matter how many treats I offer, she hides. I can usually get two on. Then she runs under the dining room table. Even if I put a treat on the ground between us, she won't come out for it. So, putting the boots on is starting to take significantly longer than either of us would like. Once we get outside, she's still fine, but I have no idea if we'll be able to continue getting them on for much longer--so I guess we'll start over with trying to train putting them on in the summer so that next winter doesn't become this much of a wrestling match.

What accessories/gear have provided you and your pets with the most laughter and joy? 


13 comments:

  1. Looks like they were a hit! Kilo would put up a fight for sure to put these on, he's not a fan of clothing or accessories sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a hit for me--Barley isn't crazy about them. Inside, she paces around the house while I find the keys and finish bundling up, but she seems to forget they're on as soon as we get outside.

      Delete
  2. Oh, those pics are so cute! Luckily we don't have to worry about boots and coats and things like that in San Diego - I'm sure Rita wouldn't be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Barley's not a fan, either, but she is a fan of nice long walks, so she's tolerating them for now. I'm a huge fan, though--they are endless entertainment.

      Delete
  3. Mr. N doesn't particularly care for boots but he puts up with just about everything else. He modeled a necklace for a boutique this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Puts up with" is a good way to describe Barley's feelings about the boots. I'm pretty sure Barley wouldn't shed a tear if the Pawz disappeared mysteriously. I hope there are photos of Mr. N's modeling gig!

      Delete
  4. She is so cute!!! Zoe hates booties, too! I'm working on trying to CC/DS her to them since they're going to be a regular thing now with the foot infections. Poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Zoe! I hope she learns to embrace--if not love--her boots without too much trauma. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can put the boots away for a couple months in the spring and then slowly introduce them in the summer when she doesn't need them, so that she sees them as something positive.

      Delete
  5. Surprisingly, we had pretty good luck with Pawz on our beagle Kobi and our golden Sheba. They didn't do any dancing, just a small amount of protest in the very beginning. Our other beagle Cricket really freaked out though, and I gave up with her.
    The funniest thing though was our beagle Kobi when we used the gentle leader on him (which goes around their nose just under the eyes). He hated that thing, and he had this way of holding his head sideways and squinting up his eye trying to look as pathetic as possible! We'd just laugh at him, but he'd get a bunch of sympathy from our elderly neighbors who thought we were torturing him. LOL
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It sounds like Kobi was a smarty pants! My brother's dog uses a gentle leader and any time there's a large grassy area along the walking route he dives into it and pushes himself along the grass with his back legs like he's swimming and rubs his face all through the grass.

      Delete
    2. Kobi used to do that too! He'd wait until he thought I wasn't looking and try to rub it off his face!

      Delete
  6. We had the same experience with boots - it wasn't for snow, but arthritis cushioning, so I just gave up after a bit. Becca wanted no part of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Barley wants no part of getting them on or wearing them in the house--she's been pacing like a caged tiger the whole time I finish getting layered up. The second her feet hit the snow, though, she's back to her normal self :)

      Delete