Friday, February 13, 2015

Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland

The week started out on a good note for walking. We reached some lovely balmy temperatures of 36 degrees on Saturday and 40 on Sunday.

A few weeks ago, I posted pictures of the snowmen lining the sidewalks in town for Winterfest. This weekend was Winterfest weekend. On Friday evening, the hospitality management students from my campus carved ice sculptures in the town pavilion. I forgot that was happening, but remembered in time to get Barley out and about before they started to get all melty. (I apologize for the picture quality--ice is harder to photograph than I thought it would be.)

This cold weather makes staying in with martinis sound very appealing.


So this hunk of ice had some different logos of local businesses on it--I didn't know what it was, but then a coworker showed me pictures from the actual carving--it was a fire pit! I wish I'd remember to go check out the actual carving so I could see it!



It's a wine glass that says wine country.
We got in several nice walks over the weekend. The ice sculptures were a fun addition to our snow-covered world and our neighborhood was new and exciting again.

Then it got cold. Really cold. As I was driving home from work on Thursday, my car thermometer said 10 degrees--it kept falling. I rushed Barley out for a walk, but it was so cold my face hurt. Every time I tried to talk to give Barley a command, it felt like my face was going to shatter. I kept having to alternate which hand I was holding the leash in so I could alternate which side of my face I could cover with my other hand. We made it .6 miles. The predicted high for Sunday is 1 degree. 1 degree. We haven't missed a day since August 26, 2014, but I don't know if I'll be able to motivate myself to get out for a walk--even a short one--with that kind of weather. This little Georgia peach might have embraced Ohio's winters to some degree, but a high of 1 degree is sounding like more than I can wrap my mind around.

Despite our winter weather setbacks this week, we still made it 14.93 miles this week.



Thank you to everyone who sent well wishes to my sweet Soth boy last week. He's finishing up his last few doses of pain medication, so we'll see how he does when he's off of them. He's due for his annual check up in early March, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's on the mend and doesn't need to go in before then.


22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so, too! I'd never seen any in person before, so I'm already looking forward to checking out next year's designs!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that is just way too cold! Love the ice sculptures, though! At least Soth looks nice and comfy. Hope he's doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I've been taking every opportunity I get to snuggle up with Soth because I think he's the one with the right idea on how to spend these cold days ;) The ice sculptures did made it worth getting out in the cold, though.

      Delete
  3. We love ice sculptures. The winter carnival here always has really nice ones. My mom loves it when the temps dip below zero and her face freezes, she says is feels so nice and refreshing, but she does love cold weather. Get out and walk in it even if it is only a high of 1. Just go a mile or something. Show yourself you can do it! It'll be below 0 here Sunday morning, and we will be out walking...think of us so you don't feel alone in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm too paranoid about frostbite to be out long enough to get a mile in with temperatures that cold. Your mom is very brave! We'll definitely be thinking about you walking out in the cold--whether we're out there with you or snuggled up with a blanket and hot chocolate!

      Delete
  4. Wow - ice sculptures! That is definitely not something I would ever get to see here - very cool! It is going to be around 81 today. That's 80 plus your 1 degree = 81! ;)

    One degree does sound chilling. I remember in my last car it always told me the temperature outside in the summer. I was glad when I got my new car and now I remain blissfully ignorant of just how hot it is. Otherwise, I don't think I'd ever leave the a/c of my house in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your 81 degrees extra for me! Barley would take cold over hot any day, but I'd be perfectly content if the temperatures were between 65-80 every day for the rest of my life ;)

      My old car didn't have the thermometer and I'm with you--being blissfully ignorant is great when it comes to extreme temperatures. I think the worst is when we go up to the lake (only 5 miles away) and I just watch the temperatures fall another 5-10 degrees the closer we get to the water.

      Delete
  5. Hi Y'all!

    Impressive!

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds miserable weather-wise. On one hand, I miss snow a little but I'm enjoying the sudden burst of spring we've been having. Hope Soth is OK until his appointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is miserable! Super Bowl weekend we got a foot of snow on Sunday, but it wasn't miserable because it was in the 30s, so it was cold, but not painfully so. I'm so looking forward to getting a burst of spring here, too--but Mother Nature's holding out on me! Hope you and Mr. N enjoy the spring-like weather for me!

      Delete
  7. Brrr, 1 degree is cold for sure..our lowest forecast temperature-wise for next week will be 12 degrees F on Wednesday. Not as cold as in Ohio, but still pretty cool if you ask me. I will still be taking our pups for a morning walk, but I'll also enjoy cuddling up with them on the couch afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--12 is absolutely cold! It feels like that's where my thermometer stops these days. Ick. But we've been trying to get out for a little bit every day. I'm just not sure I want to keep up with that trend if it's going to be 1, though! Stay warm!

      Delete
  8. Those ice sculptures are pretty cool..don't lick them Barley or you'll get stuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about that! According to my coworker, someone licked the big ice tower on a dare during the actual sculpting of everything! Luckily, it was warm enough outside that nobody got stuck.

      Delete
  9. Cool ice sculptures! And I think it's perfect acceptable to forgo a walk when the high is 1. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah--I'm not sure our brother will forgive me if I lose my nose to frostbite before I have to be in pictures at the wedding ;)

      Delete
  10. At least the ice sculptures were fun and you got in quite a few miles before you have to hibernate for a bit! I think 10 degrees is about my limit, and that includes wind chill. I think your frigid weather is hitting us tonite....so we'll be hibernating tomorrow for sure!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah--it sounds like the cold is moving your way! We'll be thinking about you from inside our little igloo. Hope you all stay warm!

      Delete
  11. Those ice sculptures are so cool! It is hardly a balmy 35 here in Michigan. More like below zero, so no walks for us! Barks and licks and love, Dakota www.dakotasden.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our balmy 35 only lasted two days ;) We're back to the single digits now--stay warm!

      Delete