Sunday, March 22, 2015

Almost Black & White Sunday

Earlier this week, I saw signs that the donut place that's been in business since 1938 in the tourist section of town was open on weekends. Most everything by the lake closes up from September to April. I rarely go down to that part of town because it's mostly gift shops, arcades, and places that sell fair-type food. But these donuts are to die for. In the summer when we have company, Barley and I will take our guests to the State Park where we have a .75-mile walk to the donut shop and then we come back to the park and eat them at a picnic table overlooking the lake. You can smell the donuts before you can see the sign for the shop. It's heaven. I don't even like cake donuts (I grew up on Krisy Kreme), but these donuts are incredible and I've been waiting for months to get my hands on a sprinkle donut.

Since it was a bright, sunshiny day when we woke up, I decided that Barley and I should go pick up some donuts and then go for a walk beside the lake. It was only in the 20s (isn't it supposed to be spring?), so I saved the donuts for home, but we got in a great 2.7-mile walk now that the trails are clear again.

We've waited for so long to have blue skies again that it seemed wrong to eliminate that bit of color from our pictures, so today's pictures are mostly black and white.



Thanks to Sugar the Golden Retriever and Dachshund Nola for hosting the Black and White Sunday blog hop!


10 comments:

  1. Barley is too cute! I'm glad you left the blue sky in there! Also, those donuts sound awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good! They frosting just melts in your mouth. Luckily, a former student was working, so I was shamed into using some self-control and not buying out the whole store ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Y'all!

    We have a place where the Humans go on rare occasions. They fry glazed donuts while you wait. The donuts are twice the size of normal ones. You eat them hot. The Humans don't go often.

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those donuts sound awesome! Hot donuts are my favorite.

      Delete
  3. I love cake donuts lol. There's a place that makes good blueberry ones around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way non-cake donuts just sort of dissolve when you take a bite, but these have frosting that is like clouds and makes them the best of both worlds.

      Delete
  4. I grew up in NE Ohio and you brought back memories of the cold spring days. I miss the lake though
    www.notastandardpoodle-gregg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they were not traumatic memories of cold spring days! We love the lake in all seasons, but we're definitely looking forward to the warmer days there!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE how you left the blue sky in those photos! I also love donuts, and if I was your guest I would think you were the best hostess ever...with a nice walk and then donuts by the lake. That sounds like a perfect outing to me. :) It's just too bad it was too cold for you to do that this time, but I'm glad you got a good walk in!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll have some good donuts by the lake weather soon! If you're ever in NE Ohio, let me know and I will get you donuts :) I think most of our guests have appreciated the nice walk to get donuts, but the first time my sister went with us, it was a really hot summer and Barley and I made her get up really early for the walk so that Barley didn't get too hot--on the plus side, though, we did get the very first batch of nice warm donuts that day!

      Delete