Thursday, March 5, 2015

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do remember that children's story about the magic ballet slippers? I can't remember the specifics, but I remember a little girl thinking that her shoes had special powers that made her a wonderful dancer; at the end, it turns out that she had the power to be a wonderful dancer all on her own--but that part is irrelevant to today's story.

A few winters ago, I ordered some new winter boots. They're fantastic. They're waterproof and warm. They've got a lot of ankle support (which is important when you have a dog who heels so well that she insists on walking beside you on the teeny tiny patch of plowed sidewalk and occasionally nudges you off the edge of the sidewalk into the snow). Most importantly, they've got great traction. This year, I added some more winter shoes to my wardrobe while I was at the Merrell outlet over the holidays. They're water resistant, warm, and are the hight of a normal tennis shoe; they also have great traction. I thought they'd be the perfect addition to my wardrobe for the days when the roads are just icy since my boots take a LONG time to get on.



There have been many times over the last few years that I've started to slip, but I had never fallen. I was convinced it was because of my shoes. I just knew that my shoes were like those magic ballet slippers--if I just believed in them hard enough, they'd keep me upright. And believe me, I believed in those shoes.

Yesterday, we got ready for our morning walk and the parking lot was a sheet of ice--and we have to cross the whole entire parking lot just to get out to the road. Normally, we can wade through the grass and stay in the snow until we get out to the road, but there's so much snow piled up from the plows that it's walk through the parking lot or don't walk at all.

I had to skate a little bit, but we survived the parking lot. Our walk started out well, so we added a second road to our walk. Then a third. Then all of the sudden I was sliding and I wasn't stopping. I wasn't necessarily falling, either, but I was definitely not in control.

My sweet little herding dog is so in sync with me when we're walking that she immediately noticed I was moving differently than usual and she decided to take action. She started to circle me--I knew that I was going to plow her over if I kept going, so I started to squat down, hoping she'd move out of the way. It quickly became apparent that I was just going to have to give into the slipping--and I just lowered myself to the ground as gracefully as possible.

Luckily, I was fine. There was quick "ouch" moment, but as soon as I got back up, I was fine. Except for damp pants.

The biggest injury was to my faith. I had spent so long believing in the magic of my shoes and now that magic is gone. Maybe, like Tinker Bell,  they just need the rest of you to clap and say "I do believe in magic shoes." I'm having trouble getting my belief in them back, though.


10 comments:

  1. Haha, aw this is so sad. I hope your faith is restored soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my newer, shorter shoes--so I'm hoping that my boots still have a little magic in them.

      Delete
  2. Maybe the magic just took a momentary break. :) I am so glad you did not get hurt. I am not a fan of ice. Thanks so much for joining the hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! The magic might just be tired of winter, too--it has had to work overtime this year!

      Delete
  3. loved this! Or, we just have to resign ourselves that those of us who have herding dogs (I do too) have to accept that they "march to a different drummer" and that's a subject for an entirely different blog post! lol. Barks and licks and love, Dakota www.dakotasden.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Herding dogs are their own special adventure ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, so glad you weren't seriously hurt! Sorry to hear about the shoes, I know how disappointing that can be. I have a knock off of the Yak Traks on my boots and they really do seem to help with the sliding, maybe they could help your shoes get a little of their magic back.

    Thanks for joining the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about Yak Traks, but I've heard that they're like golf shoes that shouldn't be worn off the golf course and they shouldn't be worn on not icy terrain--once we get out of our parking lot, usually the roads aren't icy at all. Do you think that would be a problem to wear them on a normal dry street/sidewalk?

      Delete
  5. Yes, again, as Jodi said, Yak Traks might bring the magic back! Have you ever ice skated? You did the exact right thing you're supposed to if you start to fall when skating!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been skating twice in an indoor rink in Georgia! I rarely left the edge of the rink, so I didn't ever learn what to do when falling, but I'm glad I got it right! :) I might have to break down and get some Yak Traks for next winter. (I'm not doing anything to encourage ice and snow to stick around any longer this year, though!)

      Delete