Friday, March 20, 2015

Stress Relief

Normally, I write our FitDog Friday updates while I drink coffee on Friday mornings when I'm not rushed and can reflect on the progress we've made during the week.

This week, though, I'll be herding 289 middle schoolers around my campus as they come to the English Festival I organize each year. The kids will go to three different writing and reading related workshops like a writing contest, literature and music, and sessions on books they've read. I'll be trying to avoid the middle school cooties and scents of pre-teens who haven't learned about deodorant yet. I'll probably be on my 6th cup of coffee by the time many of you read this and will have run up and down the stairs in the building at least 20 times. I'll be counting down the minutes until I can take a nap. 

So, I'm writing this on Thursday night as I try to ignore all of the possible things that could go wrong tomorrow morning (in past years, it's been things like a major snow storm causing one of the schools to close and the presenter of one of the sessions to not be able to show up, so I had to reschedule 75 kids at the last minute; other years, it's been more minor things like having two sessions scheduled to be in the same room and having to find a new spot for one of them 15 minutes before kids headed to their sessions). Right now, it seems like this year's stress came early and hopefully I got it out of the way during the planning and scheduling process.

Because of all of the stress of this week, Pup and I went out for a lot of walks. I had to spend a lot of time sitting as I filled out schedules for each kid and then put together folders for them. Barley gave me a great excuse to take breaks and get moving.

We've gotten 2 walks in each day this week, except for Monday because it was raining when I got home from work and we'd already met our daily goal during our morning walk. We logged 25.72 miles this week!

The park near our training center is officially snow and ice free. We also saw our deer friends again (although they were hiding behind a lot of trees), so I guess they survived running out onto the thinning ice on the river last week.


We're loving being able to take some sunset walks after work and agility class again.


The big excitement of the week came at 10:30 Wednesday night when I glanced at my thermostat, which was set at 68 degrees, and saw that it said 64 degrees and I realized that my heat was not working. I have a great little space heater that you can set to a specific temperature and it will go into rest mode if the room reaches that temperature and only cut back on if it goes below that temperature. I pulled it out of it's hiding spot and set it up in the bedroom because I just didn't have the energy to deal with calling maintenance and having them send someone to my apartment in the middle of the night. Barley and Soth made a little nest in the bed and were kind enough to let me snuggle in with them. It's a good thing Barley walked so much this week because she was extra sleepy and snuggly and Soth isn't quite big enough to be sufficient body heat in situations like this!


The maintenance people came while I was at work and I'm happy to report that we're warm and happy again. 

Hope everyone has had happy productive FitDog Fridays. Enjoy spending some time with your pups for me because I'll be apart from my girl several hours longer than usual (but once I get through the Festival, I'm on spring break for a week!), so I'm sure we'll both be having a little separation anxiety. I'll be looking forward to catching up on your posts after my nap :)

Also, be sure to send my sister some love--she's running the Shamrock Half Marathon this weekend!


20 comments:

  1. Isn't walking an excellent stress buster! Mom was over stressed on Wed and Thurs and both days she came home and we walked to calm her down. Hope your day goes well today and thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great stress relief! Things went pretty well this morning, but I'm exhausted! Luckily, Barley was satisfied with a little walk and lots of snuggles this afternoon :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your festival today - hope it goes smoothly and stress free. Glad you were able to get in so many walks - it sure is a stress reliever for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a completely stress-free day, but it wouldn't be the English Festival without something to keep me on my toes ;) The kids always have a great time, which makes it worth all the stress of the week before.

      Delete
  3. OH, and good luck to your sister too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's celebrating her 5 year anniversary of running half marathons, so this is a special race for her!

      Delete
  4. Good luck today! I am stopping by as a new visitor from the blog hop, I hope you will come visit too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Things went well and will be calm again for another year :) Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  5. Walking & petting/snuggling with our best friends truly does work wonders! Hope your festival is going smoothly! Happy Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids had a great time at the festival and I'm back to focusing on college-aged students for the next year, so life is good!

      Delete
  6. Good luck with all of those kids! I'd be hiding somewhere! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to hide as much as possible! Luckily, since I'm the organizer, I get to run around behind the scenes and make sure there are no problems with computers, finding rooms, and running their quizzes through the scantron machine, so I don't have to spend too much time interacting with the kids. I have a great group of people who are much better at interacting with kids than I am :)

      Delete
  7. Good luck with all the kids! I've been dealing with the plumber all morning so I understand your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry that you've been dealing with the plumber. That's definitely not fun. I survived interacting with the kids and have another year before it happens again :)

      Delete
  8. Hope all went well today. It is excellent that you were able to walk so many miles this week. You were still one degree warmer than we are because we keep the thermostat at 63. I thought you were going to say that you turned your heat off because it was warm enough outside...lol. Good thing you had that space heater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm a Georgie girl, and while I've adjusted to the cold somewhat, I still can't bring myself to go below 66! It was still in the 20s that night, so it was a little chilly for turning the heat off altogether, but I'm hoping I won't be able to say that much longer!

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear things went well today! I much prefer a leisure cup of coffee in the morning, too! Dog walks are the best for stress relief though, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaving the house before the sun was up this morning was rough! Neither of the pets joined me in getting out of bed until shortly before I had to leave the house :)

      Delete
  10. I hope your festival went well, and that you are now enjoying your spring break!

    Walks are really the best for relieving stress, and it sounds like you had a good week for both. I can't wait to hear how many miles you log while on break.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The festival did go well! I don't have high hopes for super great mileage during break this week, though, because it's been silly and cold again and tomorrow we're getting some rain. But we've at least gotten out to three different parks for a change of scenery, so that's exciting!

      Delete