Friday, March 6, 2015

Trekking Through the Tundra

Our world has turned into an ice cube. We got a little bit of snow at the beginning of the week, but the temperatures warmed up to almost 40 on Tuesday--the only problem is that it rained all day on Tuesday. So when the temperatures dropped again on Wednesday and Thursday, our world got covered in a sheet of ice

We did manage to get into the double digits with our mileage this week--finally--and hit 10.44 miles. Even though the mileage isn't much to brag about, we're considering this week a success. 

On Monday, the sun was shining brightly, so even though it was only 25 degrees out, we headed up to the State Park. I kept hearing about the insane amount of ice covering Lake Erie, so I wanted to see it for myself.

I wasn't sure what to expect. The trails at the State Park aren't groomed in the winter, and I know there would be at least a foot of snow and ice covering the trails, but sometimes we're able to walk on the roads through the park instead. I figured it was worth the 5 minute drive to the park, though, so I rushed home after work, bundled up, and we hopped in the car.

Our normal parking lot had a path wide enough for a car plowed through it, but there were only three cleared parking spots--luckily, we were the only ones crazy enough to be there, so we had our pick of spots.
 
Barley's pretty sure there used to be a trail here.
The roads were plowed enough that we could walk on them even though we didn't have a trail. The park was chilly, but beautiful. The snow along the road was up above Barley's head. We tried to cross one parking lot to get a better view of the lake, but I sunk down past my boots. With all the icy layers, I didn't want Barley getting hurt bounding through it, so we turned around and kept walking on the road.




It doesn't seem like it's been that long since the marina was filled with boats.
We walked about 1.5 miles and then drove over to the other parking lot in the park to see if we could get a better view of the lake from there. The trail was a little better on that side of the park, so we got an additional .5 miles while we enjoyed the icy lake--even though you couldn't really tell where the lake began.






She was so happy I didn't make her wear boots for our short walk.


Even though it felt like we were walking in Antarctica, Barley and I both loved having a chance to get out of the neighborhood and see some new sights for a change. My weather app says there will be several days in the 40s next week, so hopefully we get to expand our world a little more next week, too! 

Happy FitDog Friday! Hope everyone else is seeing the light at the end of this winter tunnel now, too!



14 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful. We love being out and bounding through the snow. Mom has Yaktrax for her shoes if it is icy out, but she rarely has to use them. My sisters and I just bound along as if it is regular ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, it's just my parking lot that's a sheet of ice--so if we can survive the .15 miles to the actual road, then we're usually fine. Barley likes to bound along, too, but I try to keep her from doing that since we'd have to stop agility classes if she hurt herself--and right now that's the one thing that's keeping us out of the loony bin this winter!

      Delete
  2. Makes me cold just looking at it. Winterscapes are pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, it didn't feel that cold--I was in such a hurry to get to the park before it got dark that I forgot a hat and it was just sunny enough that I didn't regret that very much.

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures! (even though I'll be more than ready when you start posting spring ones!) Glad you got to get out and about--it feels good to break up the cabin fever bouts a little :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for the spring pictures, too! I can't wait until we can get back to the arboretum and see some things in bloom!

      Delete
  4. That looks like an awesome park! Barley is too cute! I hope it warms up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great park! And luckily for us, even when the weather's great, there are very few people using the trails, so we can enjoy leisurely strolls along the lake without worrying about running across too many other dogs!

      Delete
  5. I think you guys need to go skijoring instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure we'd survive that! Barley can't go in a straight line to save her life, so who knows where I'd end up! The roads in the park were actually perfect for walking, though--they weren't slippery at all but there was just enough loose snow on them to add a little intensity to the walk! Skijoring does look fun, though.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you were able to get out, and somewhere different. It looks beautiful there....definitely like Antarctica though!
    We are expecting warmer temps this coming week too, though it hasn't started yet....still below 0 this morning!
    I imagine we'll be dealing with ice a lot too, as the snow starts to melt and pack down, and then it gets cold at night. Like Emma said, I have Yaktrax as well, and they help a lot. I actually use mine quite a bit.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept expecting to see penguins or something! But the closest thing we got to seeing any other animals were a couple raccoon tracks (I'm saying this is a sign of spring!). I don't want to jinx it by talking about it, but our weather reports are saying 46 degrees and sunny by Tuesday! I've been hesitant to get Yaktrax because I don't really want to admit that this Georgia girl now lives somewhere where that type of accessory is a necessity, but it might be time to just give into it.

      Delete
  7. Even though I'm over winter I can't get over how beautiful these photos are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really beautiful, but I'm looking forward to when we replace the snow with some pretty, colorful flowers :)

      Delete