Friday, April 10, 2015

Success is Counted Sweetest

Lately, Emily Dickinson's words "Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne're succeed" have been ringing true for us. It seems like the universe just doesn't want us to succeed at meeting our goal.

This week started out strong. We had a great weekend with a beautiful walk along the lake. Far out from shore, there was still some ice on the lake, but for the most part the skies and the lake were bright blue.



A few weeks ago, the "theater" down by the campground was covered in ice and snow. Now, there are just a few puddles. Barley thought it was the perfect day for a movie, but I had to explain that it was still in the 40s, so I wasn't layered enough to sit still for that long. We did get in some nice sit-stay practice since we had the whole park almost all to ourselves.


The snowmobile trails were also wonderfully clear. We'd never walked on them before because usually they are totally overgrown during the spring and summer and Barley probably wouldn't handle seeing a snowmobile well in the winter, but I figured the likelihood of us encountering a snowmobile was pretty low. We found this cool old knobby tree along one of the trails.


We also had an excellent Easter walk at the Arboretum. I thought we might have a chance to see some flowers and we could embrace my inner Dickinson by connecting with God through nature.





We did find a few flowers, but the highlights were Barley's smiles on our walk. We also took a few "tree hugging" photos for the #HugATreeForHolden campaign that's going on right now. They're using the hashtag to collect photos for their Earth Day display, so we showed several trees our love during our walk. We are so lucky to have the Arboretum close by!




After our strong start, though, the rest of the week was a little tougher. On Tuesday, a thunderstorm came during agility class--combine the thunder with Barley's newest frenemy classmate and I had a neurotic pup on my hands by the end of class, so we skipped our normal post-agility walk. On Wednesday, we had to squeeze in walks between rainstorms. Then yesterday, I came down with the 24-hour stomach bug my coworkers have been so generously passing around the last two weeks. I was able to get in a short walk after a long nap and a couple nauzene tablets. If you'd asked me on Sunday, I was sure this was going to be our first 30+ mile week of the year, but the universe thought differently and we ended with 25.06 miles this week.

I was feeling a little discouraged (even though I know that's an excellent number--I just had higher hopes for this week) until I woke up and saw that our wonderful FitDog Friday hosts, SlimDoggy, To Dog With Love, and My GBGV Life, awarded us with the 2015 FitDog Friday Mileage Award. Reaching our goals is easier when we've got such a great support system cheering us on.


To see all of the award winner, visit their posts from today and be sure to check out all of the awesome blogs participating in today's Blog Hop.

20 comments:

  1. You deserve the mileage award. You have your goal and you stick with it. I'm sure this week will get better for you with the weather and your "bug".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It looks like we have several days with rain for the foreseeable future--but hopefully it will cooperate with my work schedule and give us a break to squeeze in some miles between showers. Diva Dog doesn't enjoy splashing in puddles nearly as much as you girls do!

      Delete
  2. A well deserved award and 25 miles is a great achievement for the week. Love the tree hugging poses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first tree hugging picture might be my new favorite picture of pup!

      Delete
  3. What a happy dog! Glad to hear you are reaching your goals, it's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a happy girl. I'm almost convinced she finds a way to binge on America's Next Top Model when I'm at work so she can perfect her smiling techniques.

      Delete
  4. you did good,glad you have gotten over the bug,xx Speedy and Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I tried to hide in my office and avoid interacting with people as much as possible this week, but I guess that plan failed. Two days of napping seemed to have cured me, though.

      Delete
  5. You still did great but I totally understand the frustration. Hubby has been trying the last two Thursdays to get out to a group training after work and both were raining and stormy. Phooey. Then last weekend we had a dog show both Saturday and Sunday and so no training those days. I think hubby might have only been out one day last week which is pitiful. :) Have a nice weekend and congrats on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phooey, indeed! We finally got temperatures in the 50s and 60s and now it's raining--and if I put Barley's leash on her and open the door when it's raining, she lets me go out and get wet and she just stands in the doorway watching me. I don't think it's asking too much to have a couple warm, sunny days! Hope you get some better weather this weekend and congratulations on your award as well!

      Delete
  6. Barley is such a cutie! It sounds like you got some great miles in! I'm sorry the rest of the week was tough! I completely understand! ~hugs~

    Congratulations on your award! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly has mastered the art of "smizing" in pictures--she is not this cute when she's eating out of the litter box ;) Congratulations on your award, too!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the award! I'm glad we rarely have thunder here. We do have an abundance of neighbors who love fireworks though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your award, too! Barley and I understand the fireworks situation, too--luckily, our neighborhood isn't big on them, but my parents' old neighborhood had them to celebrate even something as simple someone brushing teeth it seemed like! Thunder and fireworks are the only two situations when I can't get Barley to take treats and try to work through her fears.

      Delete
  8. Barley sure does smile during your walks! Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a smiley girl! Walking with her is almost always fun because I know that she's having the time of her life.

      Delete
  9. Hi Barley it was a lot of fun reading about you over at Molly's. My peeps are avid walkers too...I am a cat..I only walk to from my food. Mol
    Hugs
    Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barley's kitty brother only walks for food and watching birds and squirrels in the windows :) He thinks Barley and I are a little crazy.

      Delete
  10. Since I'm way behind on my reading and just catching up now, I know that you had a better week after this one! You got some really great photos of Barley here, she looks so happy.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a much better week! Any time we go to the arboretum, Barley smiles from ear to ear :) She knows every single turn on the way there--it's a 30 minute drive, but I'm sure she could get just about anyone there with her backseat driving!

      Delete