Friday, May 15, 2015

Weather Rollercoasters

It is officially summer vacation for me! I honestly don't know how all of you who work year-round survive. I love my job, but by the end of March, the only thing that gets me through the day is the thought of the end of the first full week in May.

I mentioned last week that we went from winter to summer in .02 seconds. That continued for several days, which meant we had to start a new routine. Barley doesn't handle the heat well. With the black parts of her coat, the smallest bit of sunshine makes her roast. She can handle mid-80s and cloudy for a little while, but 70 and sunny is too much. I'm sure I've mentioned that I'm not a morning person, so this week has been all about new routines.

I don't naturally get up early. I have to set an alarm if I'm going to get up at by hour that most people would consider sleeping in. Naturally, the thought of doing this on my first week of summer vacation was not appealing, so by the time I got up and had coffee, it was already warm.

Luckily, there's a big cold lake just a few miles away.

The boats are starting to return.

Barley doesn't swim. But she'll put her toes in the water and usually that leads to some more of her getting wet. The trail at the state park is 2-miles long, so we usually park in the middle and then we've got at least once spot in each direction that Barley can splash in the water if she gets hot and we're never far from the car.



We took walks at 4 days in a row and Barley spent lots of time splashing in the water and I spent lots of time working on getting an awesome tan line from my GPS watch.

Then, as quickly as the warmth arrived, it disappeared again. Tuesday was almost perfect--sunny and 60 degrees--but by the time we went to bed, the temperatures were down in the 40s. And there they stayed.

We took advantage of the cooler weather by heading out the arboretum again. There were new things in bloom from last week's visit--and some of the things that were so pretty last week (like my bright pink crabapples) were completely ordinary this week. That's probably my favorite part of the arboretum. No matter which trails we take--even if we repeat the same trails each visit--it's always a completely different experience.





One of the most interesting things we saw was a goose flying up into a tree. I didn't know their feet were built for perching in trees. It didn't seem all that thrilled about being up there and honked the entire time. I just happened to look over my shoulder in time to see it fly up there, which then meant we had to back track so I could get photographic evidence that it was up there to share with my family.


I just wasn't feeling the cold weather, though, and that kept me from venturing into the shady woods--I wanted to at least see the sun even if it was still chilly. There was a field trip in the main part of the garden and I started getting hangry, so we only got a little over 2 miles in before I decided we'd had enough of an adventure.

We ended up with 30.62 miles this week and I have one happy dog. Last week, when it was 60 degrees and sunny, she was collapsing in the shade after a mile of walking. This week, on our first 60 degree day, she was prancing along. Apparently the secret to making Barley and I enjoy the same weather is to give her a couple 80+ degree days and then all of the sudden 60 seems delightful.


Happy Fit Dog Friday everyone!




20 comments:

  1. Great mileage for the week - and all the flowers on your hike sore make for prety scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers definitely make walks nicer. It's also been so green it almost feels like the world is glowing, so that's been a fun experience!

      Delete
  2. Good work getting out there in all the temps. Pretty area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We feel so lucky to live in such a pretty place with so many diverse landscapes to explore!

      Delete
  3. You got some really great photos of Barley. You also got a bit of sun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer look like a vampire! I'm not complaining one bit for trading the time we spent bundling up the last several months for time lathering on the sunscreen.

      Delete
  4. yep this up and down weather is boring now warm sun please,xx SPeedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree! I would be happy if it was 70 and sunny every day. Barley is a snow puppy, though, so she's hoping for anything but warm sun.

      Delete
  5. We have weather rollercoasters here sometimes, too. We like it to be warm but not hot, and not raining when we are out and about doing agility. But when we are inside, at home, exercised, and sleepy, rain is fine and dandy.

    sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds lovely to me! Barley doesn't handle any kind of storm well--so a light drizzle is fine with her if she's sleeping inside, but if there's wind and rain, she gets very anxious.

      Delete
  6. Well I'm jealous of your long vacation! Have you tried a cooling coat for Barley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have a cooling coat--I think the same kind Sage has--but if I put it on for a neighborhood walk, it's dry before we've walked a full mile since there's so little shade here, so it's really only helpful when we need to walk a Netflix dvd up to the mailbox in the afternoon! When we go out adventuring, though, I make sure to put it in our pack so that if we have a sunny part of the trail, we can put it on for a while.

      Delete
  7. Oh awesome! Vacation is the best! Barley is so cute!

    We've been having the same weather problems here, too! It was 80 on Saturday and now it's back into the 50s and lower. It's also started raining again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got the rain today! It finally stopped, so we dashed out of the apartment for a quick neighborhood walk and before we got out of the parking lot the sky opened up again. Barley dragged me home so she could be toweled off!

      Delete
  8. I've never seen a goose up a tree. That's so cool you caught the pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen one up a tree, either! I knew nobody would believe me if I didn't have photographic evidence, so we got close enough that I could zoom in and get a picture without startling it.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like Barley adjusts to the weather changes better than we humans do! Spring always really tests us I think, with ups and downs, and it's great that you are on summer vacation so you can be more flexible. It's also good you have a variety of places to visit.
    I have never seen a goose in a tree either....great job getting the photo!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is definitely testing me this year! We've had 80+ degree days and then yesterday it was 41 when we left for our first walk of the day. I just want to be able to put the cold weather wardrobe away and not think about how many layers I'll need to walk! Barley's just happy to go any time, though--so I should probably just be taking notes from her :)

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh, that's so funny because I was literally just wondering if geese ever went in trees the other day and determined that they didn't. I'll have to reevaluate my thought process :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure they didn't have feet that equipped them for perching in trees, but this guy proved me wrong.

      Delete