Friday, July 3, 2015

June Resolution Update

Last year, I was pushing myself to meet the 500 mile mark and reach 50% of our resolution--at the end of June 2014, we had just barely reached the halfway point. Even though we increased our goal this year, I wasn't too worried about being at 500 miles and I knew that 550 was achievable, but I had another secret goal for the end of June.

My grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary is this summer, so we're having a big party for them in Denver. Since the family will have lots of small kids there and my aunts both have dogs, it's not really a Barley-friendly trip and she'll be hanging out with our reactive dog trainer, who has a boarding facility, for a few days. My secret goal for the month of June was to have 562 miles, so that we don't fall behind when we're apart for a few days.

Over the last two months, we've challenged ourselves and increased our mileage with the hopes of getting at least one extra mile each day.

The past week has provided the most interesting of our walks in the month of June. On Saturday night, Barley and I were walking in our neighborhood, which is right on the edge of the little downtown area where there are banks, hardware stores, and various restaurants. Imagine our surprise as we walked by the bank and saw two kids walking a horse down the sidewalk. I wanted a picture. Desperately. But, I also didn't want to be a total creeper and stop and take a picture of two kids I didn't know. So . . . I tried to do it discreetly and ended up with this Loch Ness Monster-esque picture.

I swear that brown blob in front of the brick building is a horse.

The next day, Barley and I went to the lake for an evening walk. As we got closer to the water, I saw a bald eagle flying overhead with something in its talons. I paused for a minute and thought about how cool that was. I cursed myself for only have my phone for a camera. The eagle got overhead. Then the talons opened and whatever it was carrying started to fall. I squealed and ran. I've become more outdoorsy since I got Barley, but I don't know if I could keep that up if I got hit by a falling carcass--my friend said the eagle was possibly dropping a turtle to break the shell open, but I don't think that getting hit by a falling turtle sounds any more fun.

Don't worry! Nature's still awesome!

I'm happy to report that we've more than met our secret goal. After walking 108.39 miles in the month of June, we ended June with 570.10 miles so far this year, which puts us at 51% of our goal. 


We're just racing towards that finish line for our goal.

Happy FitDog Friday! We're linking up with SlimDoggyMy GBGV Life, and To Dog With Love, so be sure to stop by all of the other blogs participating this week, too!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That's awesome! Congrats on your mileage!

    I would of totally freaked out too when the Eagle dropped whatever it was! Also, LOL about the horse! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy nature, but I don't want it to hit me--I'm still a little worried every time I see a bird of prey flying overheard now! And I still haven't figured out what the horse was doing!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on over-achieving!!
    I had to laugh at the eagle story...but only because I would have done and thought the exact same thing you did!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone on the eagle story! Seeing a bald eagle might give me nightmares now instead of patriotic feelings!

      Delete