Monday, July 20, 2015

Neighborhood Pests

Y'all, it's been hot here. Really disgustingly hot. And muggy. I know our southern friends have been dealing with this for months (as my mom so kindly reminded me when I called her whining on Saturday), but when just a few evenings ago we were taking 68-degree walks along the lake, waking up and having it be 80+ before 10:00 a.m. is too much for us. We spent most of the weekend lounging in front of the fan and reading. I was certain we'd survive the weekend without mischief.

But our neighborhood had other ideas.

Our apartment has one ancient wall a/c unit that does little to actually cool the apartment off. Even after being on all day yesterday, the thermostat still read 76 degrees. Our backyard is often more comfortable than the inside of the apartment, so yesterday afternoon I hooked Barley up to her long lead, set up a mat, put some Dogsbutter in her kong, poured a Dog Days dortmunder for myself, pulled up the Pirates game on my iPad, and headed outside.

We were enjoying some fresh air when all of the sudden there was the squeal of a firework. Barley climbed up onto the table I had my beer and iPad on and then hopped over the back of my chair and squished herself into the tiny space between the chair and the wall--and just like that our relaxing afternoon outside was over.


After dinner, it had cooled off enough to get a second walk in and there had been no more fireworks, so we headed out. Barley knows that she is supposed to sit and wait while I lock the front door, but last night, she was dancing around and making it impossible to get the door locked. After a brief struggle, I noticed that she'd found something.


She couldn't decide whether it was something scary or something interesting and think she finally settled on it being a little bit of both.


I have no idea what kind of bug this thing was, but it was absolutely prehistoric. Barley would inch closer to it and then jump away. A few times she snorted at it and it fell off the wall and started it's ascent again.

We snapped a few pictures and then went on our way--hopefully the gross little guy stayed outside because I do not want to come across him in my house!



24 comments:

  1. is that a locust? They are making lots of noise around our house right now. So hot. So stinkin hot. We call it the 90/90's 99 deg with 99%humidity. Not fit for man nor beast. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was some sort of beetle. Whatever it was, it was creepy enough that I couldn't bring myself to get close enough to get a better a picture! We've had some 90% humidity days lately, too. Even when it's been in the high 70s early in the morning, it's still been too disgustingly muggy to keep Barley out for long!

      Delete
    2. Beth, I forgot to say I sure wish we'd known you lived in Ohio! I met with one art quilter and would have loved to meet you too! And Barley.

      Oh, and disgusting things call for zoom lens lol

      Delete
    3. If you ever come back to Ohio, let us know!

      Delete
  2. Haha, I am very familiar with the dog-dance of scary?-interesting?-both--Nala does it with almost every new thing she encounters. She and Barley must both be optimists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Nala does the dance, too! I think it's adorable.

      Delete
  3. It's been really hot here too. Sometimes it's good to just kick back and relax although fireworks do disrupt the peace a little bit, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thoroughly enjoyed lounging and reading and eating ice cream, but I think Barley wishes our life was a little more exciting this week!

      Delete
  4. We have heat here, as well. But fireworks at this time of year for us are highly uncommon.

    sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't often have fireworks here--and this was just one single firework, but Barley had made up her mind that she needed to hide and I felt bad staying outside myself after letting her in to cower under the bed.

      Delete
  5. I have border collies, too. The things that they find that look "suspicious" always amazes me. While we were hiking one day, one of the particularly fearless BCs that we had came across a rather non-descript looking grey rock and started barking furiously. We never knew what why she thought was so alarming! Your prehistoric monster may be some species of cicada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are so weird about what they find suspicious! Sometimes it's a rock or a flag of some sort that wasn't along the trail the last time we were there, sometimes it's a car in a driveway that's never been there before. You might be right about it being a cicada of some sort--it definitely seemed to have some sort of shell!

      Delete
  6. It's been ridiculously hot here and I feel so bad for Mr. N. We don't have any AC because we so seldom need it normally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our AC does very, very little for our apartment and maybe succeeds in cooling things down 2-3 degrees. I feel your pain, though--I didn't have it when I lived in NM and most of the time it was fine, but there were some days when I sat in front of the fan with a popsicle and didn't move. I'm glad Barley wasn't around for those days!

      Delete
  7. Poor Barley! We hate fireworks, too. It's been really hot here as well and we don't have a/c. I'm so over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling Barley this is good conditioning for our next trip to Alabama (where thankfully my parents do have excellent AC), but I think she's just dreaming of fall now.

      Delete
  8. Ewww...I wouldn't want to get too close to that thing either! We've been getting some heat here now too, though it never seems to stick around for more than a few days. It just makes it difficult to get into a routine of when to walk.
    You'd think they'd be done with fireworks by now, wouldn't you? I hate when noisy neighbors disturb a peaceful plan.
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being able to get into a good routine is what's killing us, too! Just when I thought we'd gotten into a good breakfast and coffee, catch up on blogs, take a nice long walk walk and then take an evening walk before the baseball game routine, it gets hot and changes everything up again.

      And it was just one solo firework in the middle of the afternoon, so I'm wondering if some kid didn't just find some leftovers in the garage and shoot one off before getting scolded by mom and dad. I know it was for sure a firework, though, from Barley's reaction.

      Delete
  9. Hi Y'all!

    We feel your pain! Heat is devastating. Fireworks without a celebration should be illegal!

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even with a celebration fireworks are illegal here, but that doesn't seem to stop people :)

      Delete
  10. That is a cicada. They lay dormant in the ground as nymphs for up to 17 years, about one foot down under. When they are reach adulthood, they tunnel out of the ground, climb on something, usually tree bark and wait. I'm not sure how long it takes exactly, but when it's ready, the skin of its back will split, and a an adult cicada will emerge, leaving the empty shell behind. These are the bugs you hear up in the trees that sound (to me) like an electrical hum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for solving that mystery! I've seen the empty shells around before, but I don't know that I've ever seen one that was still in his shell.

      Delete
  11. P.S. I'm glad your bear didn't spill over onto your iPad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's happened before, but this time she was a little more graceful about climbing around on the table!

      Delete