Friday, August 28, 2015

A Slow Week

I had every intention of having some sort of fun post all ready for today. This was my last week of summer vacation, so I planned on making the most of it with my Barley girl. Unfortunately, the universe had other plans for me.

We'd planned on sticking close to home over the weekend, and we did accomplish that. With all of the local elementary, middle, and high schools starting back this week, we figured the parks would be overrun with kids and cyclists, so we avoided them.

On Monday, I had a full day of meetings about the state of the campus, things to keep in mind this year, and discussions that probably could have been at least shortened with the help of a quick email survey. Of course, the fact that I had to be inside all day meant that the weather was perfect: sunny, a light breeze, and about 70 degrees. I spent most of the meetings dreaming about the end of the day when I could whisk Barley away to the park.



After that walk, all of our plans for the week were thwarted. It rained all day Tuesday--and while we got in a short, rainy walk, it was about 58 degrees and neither of us were thrilled about the arrangement.

On Wednesday, I'd planned a nice day of walking after my hair cut, but while leaving my apartment complex to go to my hair cut, someone backed her car into my car (everyone is fine--my car is not) and I ended up having to push the appointment back while I dealt with insurance fun. We did manage a short, but nice neighborhood walk later in the afternoon and then finished out our mileage with a friend later in the evening, but it wasn't the day of adventure we'd originally planned on.

Thursday was going to be an arboretum adventure day because we'd recently discovered a trail we'd never been on and I wanted to check it out more.




Instead, I had to deal with getting a rental car. (This trade off was ok because my front driver's door no longer opens and the only way in and out is to crawl over the passenger seat. I was beginning to worry that I was going to have to buy those dress yoga pants so that I could get out of the car on the first day of classes without splitting my pants.)

It wasn't quite the fit week that I'd had planned, but we still managed to exceed our goals by a little bit and logged 25.37 miles. This may become the new normal for us as I go back to teaching in just a matter of days and the walking routine we've had all summer is coming to an end.

Happy FitDog Friday everyone!


19 comments:

  1. Wow, good job in spite of all the setbacks. I hate when the pretty, sunny days wind up being the days you have to be inside. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend to you, too! I was definitely bummed that we didn't have the gross rainy day on the same day as our meetings!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, sometimes the best laid plans go awry...glad everyone is okay and it's impressive you still got your mileage in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back to school is so depressing if you are the one going back! We love it because it means less humans around during the day when we are out. Glad no one was injured in the car incident, but still, the hassle of it all is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love going back to school--and luckily have an awesome schedule where I'll still get plenty of time home with my Barley girl--but it's tough to wrap my mind around starting a new routine :)

      Delete
  4. Ugh! Going back to school is my worst nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I actually love school--which is why I started in pre-school and then just never left and got a job in a school :) But it is hard to say goodbye to the days of not setting an alarm.

      Delete
  5. That's some nice mileage despite setbacks! Glad you're OK and I hope you get your car stuff sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely missing my car--but I have a rental now and the other driver's insurance company is responsible for sorting all of the other stuff out.

      Delete
  6. Boo car stuff and end of summer, but yay for gorgeous weather and exceeding goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't wait to get some miles in with you!!

      Delete
  7. Ugh, I hate when my good plans are thwarted by the annoying things in life like work and bad weather. And then an accident, that is the worst of course but just glad everyone was OK. Then it just becomes time consuming dealing with those tedious details!
    But in spite of all that, you still manage to get all those miles in....good for you!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I hate when life gets in the way of my fun plans. I guess on the positive side, this accident happened during my last few days of summer vacation so I didn't have to worry about the tedious stuff while trying to get back in the swing of working again! Now all that's left is picking up my car whenever she's all better, so that should be pretty easy to squeeze into the schedule :)

      Delete
  8. School has started back up this week here in NC, and now I'm back to stop and go traffic on my way home from my dog walking clients because of all the school busses....didn't miss that part during summer break, but I am looking forward to cooler fall temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the bus routes! Luckily, my schedule gets me on the road after the kids are dropped off at school and I get home before they are being dropped off most days, so the only time I really have to worry about buses is while we're walking and having to remember where we need to cross the street to avoid children at bus stops :) We're looking forward to fall temps, too! It's my favorite time of year.

      Delete
  9. I can't wait for fall temperatures either! Counting down the days!
    ~Amber
    @hungrymountaineer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are counting them down, too! Some days it feels like fall is here and then the next day it's back to the 80s!

      Delete
  10. I am impressed that with all you had going on, you still managed to get in some decent miles. I had a week this past week like yours. Ugh. I hope the black could passes soon...lol.

    ReplyDelete