Friday, August 21, 2015

Tour Guide Barley

This week, my aunt and cousin came up to do a little adventuring in our area. Barley was more than happy to put on her tour guide had and show them around.

Earlier this summer, we'd gone to Cuyahoga Valley National Park to scope out different parts of the park to take them to on their visit, so that was adventure spot #1. We opted for the trails Brandywine Falls where Barley was happy to splash in the creek on a muggy day.



The last time we were at CVNP, I opted not to go down the stairs to the lower observation deck because there were so many people there. We got there in between the ranger-led tours and there were only a few other people braving the humidity, so we embraced the stairs--and the view of the falls was well worth it. I only wish I'd gone before when there had been more rain and the falls had been more impressive.




There were some nice cool, damp rocks along the trail down to the lower observation deck that Barley enjoyed taking a break at.



We had a nice picnic lunch, but Barley was totally uninterested in staying all the way on her mat because she wanted to be close enough to my aunt that she could easily get some potato chips should some accidentally find their way onto the ground.


With the warm temperatures, we weren't up for much more of a hike at the park after lunch, so we moved on to adventure spot #2: Lake View Cemetery. The cemetery houses the graves of many famous Clevelanders, from business tycoons to major league baseball players, and many of those graves have impressive monuments and sculptures. Dogs aren't allowed to wander within the sections, but they are allowed on the paved roads between the sections and other grassy areas where they won't be on a grave.



There are a couple big attractions within the cemetery, including the Wade Chapel where there's a stained glass window and tile mosaic from the Tiffany studios. President Garfield is also buried here inside a massive monument. Barley wasn't allowed inside the buildings, but I'd already seen inside of them and we were happy to do a little bit of a stroll while my aunt and cousin checked them out.


My aunt is a quilter and has been doing the Row by Row Experience this summer where you pick up different rows from quilt shops across the country and put them together to create a quilt, so I was instructed to find as many participating quilt shops in my area as I could. Quilt Shop #3 was conveniently at the same exit as Squire's Castle in North Chagrin Reservation--one of my favorite places to visit with Barley--so we made that adventure spot #3. We didn't get much of a walk in as it was getting later in the day and my aunt's arthritis makes it harder for her to walk on the trails, but we spent a lot of time wandering around inside the shell of the castle.






As we'd driven around the day before doing non-dog-friendly adventures, we'd passed the Harpersfield Covered Bridge and my aunt wanted a picture of it. Since it's only a few miles from home, we made that our final adventure spot of the day. We don't come to the bridge park often because the trail isn't very long and often there's glass along the trail, but it's a pretty place for pictures, so we visit whenever we have company and Barley likes to stick her toes in the river.



While we had fun at all of the different stops on our whirlwind tour, my favorite part of the visit was taking them to our agility class. We've never had anyone go to class with us before because it's during the week and most of our visitors come on the weekends. My cousin was happy to be part of the jump crew, which meant we got even more turns than usual because we had an extra person without a dog to worry about helping out, and she took some pictures and videos of us during class. 





I was worried that Barley would be distracted with two extra people in class, but she did such a good job staying focused on me. My cousin was sitting right on the edge of the course and Barley had to go over jumps just a few feet away from her several times, but she never once tried to go over to say hi during her turns and she never ran around like a crazy dog. 


It was fun to have someone to take some pictures for us since I only get to see what Barley looks like from one angle during class. Unfortunately, our current set of classmates is still learning to weave, so our trainer only put 6 weave poles on the course, so there's not footage of Barley doing 12, but she was less confused this week by going back down to 6 than she was the week before.


We crammed so much into just a few days that Barley and I didn't exceed our mileage requirements by too much this week, especially since we had a couple days where we didn't meet our 3-mile minimum, but we did manage to make up for that on other days and got in 25.67 miles this week. I can't believe how quickly this week has gone by--only one more week of summer and then Barley and I will be singing the back to work blues!


20 comments:

  1. Oh wow! You found some neat places this week! The agility photos are so cute, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to revisit some of the places that are too far away to go to on a regular basis!

      Delete
  2. I think Sage's human has been doing that quilting experience too. It's always fun showing people around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Sage's human shares a picture of the quilt(s) she makes! My aunt finished one for the contest and won more fabric from a shop near her and was working on another one just for fun--the rows are really cute, but I don't have enough patience to do that myself; I only sew if it involves straight lines ;)

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a great time! :) Can't wait to come back to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't wait for you to come back, either!

      Delete
  4. That shell of a castle would be so fun to wander around in! I'm surprised they don't ever do videos in your agility classes as one learns so much from watching how you work with your dog. The instructors do the videos here. It is a once and a while thing, but it is so helpful. Sounds like you all have a real fun time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The castle is very fun! Our class is big enough that there's really not time for watching videos and still getting in plenty of turns--and I'm not very good at that kind of learning anyway. I do much better when our trainer comes out on the floor and shows me what I did with her own movements and then shows me how to change things. But it is fun to get to see Barley in action from a different angle :)

      Delete
  5. You really did cram a lot into two days, what a fun visit it sounded like. Barley really is a great tour guide, and great model for all the sights too! I enjoyed seeing the agility video as well!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun visit! I needed a nap after I got everyone on the road again, though. Barley is such a silly thing--she insists on being in front of the camera any time she sees me trying to a take a picture :)

      Delete
  6. Busy week - kudos for keeping your mileage up! Loved the vids and photos of Barley - nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day of adventure! We love having agility videos too. It really helps with your training when you can see what you're doing! Barley looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me homesick for Ohio whenever I visit your blog.
    I went to Squires Castle EVERY YEAR from the 60s til I moved to Michigan in 2001.
    It was closed for a while a few times
    1) remodeling
    2) everyone used to go and get high there :)

    DakotasDen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Squire's Castle--but it's far enough away from our town that we don't get there often, so it was fun to have a good excuse to go!

      Delete
  9. Wow you did have a busy week. Looks like you had a fun tour. I would definitely love to check out that cemetery. Loved the video of your agility class. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cemetery is awesome! I'm looking forward to being able to go back again when it's just me and Bar so we can explore a little bit more.

      Delete
  10. My mom is a quilter, too, which means that I also need to have all the quilt stores lined up for her when she visits ;-) She's quilted several doggie blankets for her grand-pups, so we certainly "profit" from quilt-store-hopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made lots of hints about things that I liked while we were in the quilt stores ;) I've got lots of nice quilts for my own bed (that Barley and Soth get to snuggle under if they're good, too), so I didn't mind my chauffeuring duties.

      Delete