Friday, September 4, 2015

Redesigning Routines

Barley is very much a creature of habit. Some times, this is great. We have the same routine every time I leave the house without her, so she knows exactly when it's time to head into her crate. We have the same routine for putting on and taking off her leash, so when it's time to do those things in agility class, she doesn't lose her mind and run wild.

Some times, her need for routine is less desirable. Like when summer vacation ends and all of the sudden alarms are being set again and I'm leaving the house every day.

Classes started on Monday and I've loved reconnecting with my returning students and meeting the new ones, but Barley, Soth, and I have been struggling to redesign our at-home routine this week.

Soth has been unhappy because I'm not home to refill his food dish every couple hours. All summer, he's been getting lots of tiny little meals (mostly because Barley will help herself to his food if I turn my back on her). When I have to leave for several hours at a time, he gets one big meal instead. I wasn't surprised on Monday when I came home to a mountain of cat barf--probably a combination of my greedy little guy being overexcited about such a full dish and gobbling it down all at once and of being stressed that I was gone so long.

Soth's also taken it upon himself to make sure I remember that I have a bed time. As I've been lesson planning, he's been lounging on top of the papers I need.


And working his way across the couch and sprawling on the computer if I don't get hte message quickly enough for his liking.


Between planning, grading, and teaching (which is exhausting after several months off and leads to napping)--plus Mother Nature deciding that she didn't want us to miss summer altogether and sending heatt and humidity our way--it's been tough to find time to get in our normal mileage. We did manage to get 24.08 miles this week, but it didn't seem as easy as usual to get our normal 3+ miles a day. I'm not a morning person, so we've been trying to squeeze it all in one evening walk and with the days getting shorter, we haven't gotten the full 3 miles every day, but have had a chance to make up for it on other days. Despite the struggles, we've still had a chance to get some nice walks in this week.





Barley's been a good sport and she's trying to embrace our new routine, but she is back to following em around every time I move and when we're resting (or in my case, planning lectures), some part of her has to be touching some part of me.

It's going to take a little while, but I'm sure we'll be settled into a new routine before we know it. Hope that everyone has a happy Labor Day weekend!


16 comments:

  1. Sometimes things need a good jiggle around, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely do! I hope this is one of those times :)

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed by your pair of pictures that suggests that Barley can sit and grin at you while deer stare over your shoulder!

    And I find that post-teaching exhaustion naps are seriously improved by dog snuggles. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've spent a lot of time working on how to be calm around deer and now Barley and deer seem to have this special understanding with one another and can peacefully coexist! I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys post-teaching naps with dog snuggles :)

      Delete
  3. Barley and Soth are so cute! I know that adjusting to new routines can be hard for everyone! I hope they settle down soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Week 2 seemed to go much more smoothly! Barley still had on her crazy pants for agility class, but it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated!

      Delete
  4. Could you get Soth one of those automatic feeders you could program? I try to mix up our regular routine so Mr. N doesn't get fixated on things happening at certain times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soth's on a mostly wet food diet for his bladder issues--and I know I've seen an automatic feeder for wet food, but there's just something about that that I'm not sure I trust. We've been trying to figure out the right proportion of food to leave out that he doesn't overeat and that he doesn't get hangry and destroy the apartment while I'm gone--I don't want to jinx things, but I think we've just about got it perfect now ;)

      Delete
  5. Haha aw love those pets. Can't wait to see them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sweet that they both want to be so close to you, even though it must be especially challenging to work with a cat on top of everything! LOL
    The changing seasons are always challenging when the temps change and the days are shorter. We're having a little burst of summer here too though.
    I think our crew is a bit more used to changing routines because I work every other day outside the home, so we have different routines for the days I work, the weekdays I'm home, and then the weekend.
    Enjoy your long weekend before you have to continue settling into that new routine!
    Jan, Wag n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soth has finally decided that I'm not going to abandon him when I go to work and that it's ok if he goes to bed without me, so he's given up lounging on the computer and stacks of papers for now :)

      Barley doesn't worry too much about changes in the times things happen--as long as she gets fed and we take a walk, she isn't too concerned about when those things happen, but the fact that I would leave the house for longer periods of time without her multiple days in a row is just mindboggling for her.

      Delete
  7. Love the sleepy cat photo! We have a basic routine here, but there is always a day or two each week where things are earlier, or later, or totally different. Even our mealtime can vary up to a couple hours which helps keep us from being irritated by changes. You will all be running with the new schedule in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meal time is always different for Barley--breakfast is usually consistent during the week, but she doesn't mind sleeping in on the weekends, but dinner all depends on when our last walk of the day takes place so she doesn't eat too close to exercising. And our walking schedule all depends on the weather during the summer, too, so she's used to that changing. She just doesn't like it when the routine changes and I leave without her!

      Delete
  8. It's hard to change routines! It's been getting too cold to leave the door open for the cats, and my young one Buffy doesn't know how to ask to come in so she doesn't go out. So she's been wandering all over the house being a pest, excuse me a pretty but pesky puss. ;) As you say, all will come together in time. Maybe she'll learn to like the cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the pesky puss behavior well! Soth isn't allowed to roam outside at our apartment, but sometimes I'll take him out on a harness so he can watch the birds up close. Once I've done that one time, he'll spend the rest of the week walking to the doors and meowing and trying to get my attention to take him back out! Hope Buffy learns to embrace the colder weather!

      Delete