Monday, October 5, 2015

Sorry, Soth

Last Monday, I was getting ready to head out the door to work when I noticed Soth was spazzing out at the back door. He was hopping from door to door, chirping, and twitching his tail. 



When I took a closer look, I saw that he was chasing a chipmunk that was scavenging on the back porch. 


Soth was in Heaven. He loves to hunt--but being an indoor kitty, he doesn't get many options to do so. (When we go to his grandma and grandpa's house, he uses his ninja stealth to sneak out the backdoor when the dogs go in and out so he can chase squirrels.)

I was so happy to see him so interested in something. The summer was stressful for him with travel and his first foray into boarding, so he hasn't seemed like his normal self lately, so it was nice to see him being so active. 

On Tuesday, I got home from work and Soth kept crouching in front of the bedroom door. He'd paw around I thought maybe he was hunting spiders, which is one of the few opportunities he gets to hunt indoors and is one of his favorite activities.


I checked, but I didn't see anything he could be hunting. I figured he was just being a weirdo and left for agility class with Barley. When we got home, he was still camped out in that spot. I checked for more spiders--nothing.

When I curled up in bed, I realized what he'd been doing. There was something in the wall. I could hear something scritching around inside the wall. A few years ago, Soth killed two mice in our apartment, but after the apartment owners had patched up some holes, we never had another problem. Instead of going to bed, I started putting away clothes that had piled up in front of the closet so that I could have maintenance come back in and solve the problem without being embarrassed about my clutter. I tossed peppermint oiled cotton balls all over my closet (because if that really keeps mice away, having my wardrobe smell like Christmas in October is totally worth it).


Eventually, Soth gave up his post and curled up in his chair. When I finally got back in bed, I couldn't focus on anything except for the noise in my wall. I put on music with a sleep timer, but as soon as I started to fall asleep, Soth started attacking the wall. He kept flinging himself at the wall and then sprawling out beside it and kicking it with his back feet. By that point, it was almost 2:00 a.m. and I knew I wasn't going to be getting any sleep in my room and relocated to the couch.

When I woke up the next morning, this is what I found. The pets might have planted this creature in the wall in an attempt to get the bed all to themselves. 


The apartment manager has put mouse traps and mouse and chipmunk poison in my furnace closet outside (despite Barley's history of poisoning herself, there's no way Barley and Soth could get in there to eat it themselves since they'd have to use a key to unlock the door and they haven't mastered that skill yet, so no worries there). I haven't heard any more creatures in the wall in two days and Soth has given up his guard post. I'm pretty sure he's never going to forgive me for ruining his fun.


14 comments:

  1. Ah, bless! Poor Soth! Chipmunks are such a temptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! But they are so cute--and I'm not afraid of them, so I probably would have tried to befriend a chipmunk if that's what made its way into the walls, but I'm not interested in inviting mice in!

      Delete
  2. Oh no, chipmunks can be such a tease...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Soth. Maybe you can get him one of those mechanical toys to chase around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something tells me Barley would be far more interested in that than Soth. Soth would probably snub the toy just to spite me ;)

      Delete
  4. Haha this still makes me laugh. I'm glad that you haven't heard any more creatures lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Working for the park service I sometimes stay in park housing and have heard just about all the wall noises you can imagine. LOL - I've spent some nights out in the car!

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you! This isn't our first adventure with wall creatures--but it's the first time Soth has gotten so noisy about it! I think I would have been able to sleep in my own bed if he wouldn't have attacked the wall right as the music sleep time was ending--at that point, I knew there was little hope :)

      Delete
  6. That's a pretty feisty critter in your walls to make a peep with Soth waiting him out.

    Even if you didn't get any sleep, at least Soth had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Whatever it was, it was a bold little thing. I'm glad that Soth had fun, too, but I do hope that he keeps his fun to the hours I'm awake from now on ;)

      Delete
  7. Well, at least he had some fun while it lasted! Not so much fun for you though. :)
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the one saving grace--knowing how much fun my sweet boy was having kept me from being totally freaked out by our uninvited guest.

      Delete