Friday, November 13, 2015

Reunited and it Feels So Good

I feel like I've been away from the blog world for years. This semester has been crazy busy with planning, grading, and teaching (and I thought this would be the semester everything just fell into place!), so I've been limited to Friday mornings for writing posts. Then this past weekend, I ran away to Williamsburg, Virginia for my little brother's wedding, so the pets and I were separated and my computer time was limited to grading.

First, I stopped and picked up my sister and her boyfriend and got some quality bonding time with my nephew, Mr. Danders the guinea pig. 


Who knew guinea pigs liked to have their chins scritched?

The weekend was so busy, I didn't have too much time to miss the pets--I was so proud of myself for not crying when I dropped them off at the boarding facility Barley's reactive dog trainer owns. My sister, her boyfriend, my parents, and I had an intense round of mini golf at the condo we stayed in before getting ready for the rehearsal dinner (I won't bother mentioning the score--one because I don't know it, but two I think our 2nd round ruined the lucky streak I had going).



We only had time for the front 9 before I had to get ready for my brother to pick me up for the rehearsal because I was reading a poem during the ceremony.  


The weekend was lovely. My new sister-in-law fits right in with the family and I could be happier for her and my baby brother! 

As happy as the weekend was, I was insanely happy to be reunited with my darlings on Monday afternoon. Barley's reactive dog trainer keeps the pets for me when we go out of town--she usually doesn't board cats, but since I've only left them for short trips and Soth is so high maintenance that he needs someone who can check in on him every few hours, she makes an exception for us. 

We got Soth loaded up and ready to go home, but she hadn't had a chance to pack up Barley's bowls and toys yet, so she told me to go wait in one of the dog runs and when I was inside the gate, she'd let Barley into the run and we could romp and play for a bit since it would be too dark for walking by the time we got home. 

Our reunion was the very happiest.







"I thought you were never coming back!"


Barley started kangaroo hopping at the gate until she was let in to get me. Then she ran big loops around me and occasionally came in to pounce on me before starting again. By the time we got home, she had decided I needed to be punished, though, so she decided to curl up on her bed (which she never, ever goes to without being told to go to her bed) instead of snuggling up with me while I graded papers.

Since there was no school because of Veteran's Day on Wednesday, I decided to earn her forgiveness with an adventure and we headed out  to the arboretum. 

Now that the leaves are mostly gone, you can see the new observation tower really well.




To make the day even more special, I took her to Pet Supplies Plus to pick up a copy of The Honest Kitchen's new Scratch and Sniff book Is That My Dinner?, which comes with a couple samples of their dehydrated food and coupons for food and treats (which is perfect timing since we're almost out of beams!). If you haven't gotten yours yet, you can look for copies near you here.

Barley snuggled up in her cave bed for a good reading session. She's happy to report that the story had a happy ending. She definitely knew exactly where to sniff, but she was offended by the pumpkin pie scent and had to give the peppermint page a lick. 



She's happy to report that the story had a happy ending. She knew exactly where to sniff on each page, but she was offended by the pumpkin pie scent and had to give the peppermint page a lick. We'll definitely be breaking this book out for a little fun now that the days are getting shorter and the weather is getting dreary, so we need more indoor activities to keep this little pup busy.

Happy Fit Dog Friday everyone! We've missed you and hope to be back to a more regular schedule soon! 



24 comments:

  1. I know what it's like to be gone from the blog world. But it sounds like you had good reasons. Congrats to your brother and his wife!

    It's so nice to have such a warm greeting when you return from a trip! I know how much Barley missed you--Sage is the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is nice to have such a warm greeting :)

      Delete
  2. Ha - Barley sure looked happy to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely was! I couldn't stop laughing at how silly she was being.

      Delete
  3. Homecomings are the best! Barley sure looked happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome! The trip was great, but nothing beats reuniting with my darlings.

      Delete
  4. It's great you have a trusted place to board the pets. Barley looks happy you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Our trainer knows Barley so well and Soth loves the bedtime massages she gives, so if they can't stay with their grandparents, they stay with the trainer :)

      Delete
  5. Such a fun weekend! I missed the pets, too! Glad Mr. Danders got to make an appearance!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I got to hang out with Mr. Danders! Can't wait to give him vitamin c again!

      Delete
  6. Glad to know I'm not the only one who worries about crying when she drops the dog off with a sitter. :)

    BTW, I'm a guinea pig aunt too. Aren't they fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun being a guinea pig aunt! I hadn't seen him since the week my sister got him a few years ago since he doesn't travel with her for holidays and he's gotten so big!

      Delete
  7. I love that book idea! I have to find a copy for myself. Sounds like you are super busy, but having fun and that is what counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Bailie would love the book with all the sniffing you girls do! Hope they have copies near you!

      Delete
  8. That Holiday Scratch book sounds very unique & like a lot of fun!! I found 3 retailers within an acceptable driving distance from us, so I'll try & get one for the pups :-) Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you were able to find a copy of the book! It's a cute marketing idea :)

      Delete
  9. I love how happy Barley looked to see you! It's always tough leaving them, but the homecomings make it all worthwhile.
    With all that fun stuff, there's no way Barley could hold a grudge for long! :)
    We hope that things settle down for you with work, so we hear more from you!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homecomings do make things worthwhile (and I guess seeing my baby brother get married was a pretty worthwhile on its own). Soth is much better at holding a grudge than Barley is--he's just starting to snuggle with me again!

      Delete
  10. We had a crazy fall too, spending a lot of time at the cabin hunting the dogs. I am way behind with my blogging. Congrats to your brother and new sister in law. We board our dogs with our trainer too because they have boarding facility. I trust them. It is great your trainer will board Barley and Soth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one behind with the blogging! It is great having a trainer that can board the pets--I know she's the one person outside of my family that truly understands Barley's issues with other dogs, so I know she'll never even give Barley an opportunity to have a bad interaction with another dog.

      Delete
  11. Mr. Danders is cute!!! Glad to see ya back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is a cutie pie--I hadn't seen him since we picked him out for my sister's kindergarten class several years ago, so it was nice to get a chance to see him during his retirement from classroom pet ;)

      Delete